Ireland car rental question

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Bill

Ireland car rental question

We are going to Ireland in June and would like to go to Dingle, Kerry etc. We would also like to spend a couple days in Dublin. I would like to fly into Shannon and out of Dublin. Do car rental companies allow different drop points? Is it advisable to have reservations for a car? Thanks.

Apr 10th, 2002, 04:44 AM
cd

We did this a month ago. We had reservations but don't know if they are necessary. We picked up the car in Shannon and dropped it off in Dublin. Be sure to take the FULL coverage insurance as you are responible for everything that happens to the car whether you acually do the damage or not. (we are paying for a windshield that was cracked by another car) Also, be sure to get an automatic as driving on the opposite side of the very narrow roads is enough to handle. Have a great time, we loved Ireland!

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:24 AM
John

Hi Bill,

It is quite common to rent a car in one location and drop it off at another in Ireland.

We always reserve a car in advance to be on the safe side. Typically we use Autoeurope (a broker) and then check individual car companies to see if we can beat there deal. If so, Autoeurope has met or beat the price we could obtain individually. We use them because of the service they provide. On the one occasion we had a problem Autoeurope helped immensely.

I have found a car in Dublin is not necessary - actually a burden; but essential in other parts of Ireland.

Have fun.

Apr 10th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Leslie

Yes, do reserve in advance. Yes, it makes great sense to arrive Shannon and leave Dublin without backtracking as driving times are very slow. Figure on averaging about 35- 40 miles per hour, tops. There are no motorways/superhighways. Try to find a drop off point on the outskirts of Dublin. It is very poorly signposted once you arrive in the city and hard to drive in. Have a great trip.

Apr 10th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Bill

Bill:

A quick note on auto insurance coverage. If you have a gold or Platinum Mastercard, you probably have CDW coverage. That coverage comes through MC, not the bank. The MC coverage has no deductible so it is useless and detrimental to purchase insurance from the car company. The upgrade to no deductible is pretty expensive with the car company. If you purchase the car company insurance, it will negate your MC insurance (from what I understand). You should contact the rental agency to make sure they don't require some sort of letter from MC.

Of course, you need to use that card to rent the car.

The same does not apply to Visa.

Bill

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Shadow

Yes, I always advise flying into Shannon and out of Dublin. We went last summer with 8 friends and we rented 2 cars and did just that. When you fly into Shannon its more rural so therefore easier to drive around-esp. if you have not driven on the left before. By the time you get to Dublin which is very busy you will be better prepared to handle it.

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Jim

I don't know of any credit card company that has CDW coverage in Ireland.
Check with your credit card company for full info.

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Jill

Bill, I am planning a similar trip for June 2003. Did you find it more expensive to FLY into one city and out of the other? Also, which airline did you book? Thanks

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Sandra

Bill & Jim - Last Sept we rented a car & van in Ireland and a gold Master Card covered the CDW. It took a few calls to find it out, other cards did not cover Ireland.
Sandra

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:21 PM
sss

Just came back from Ireland last week, my platinum MC covered the CDW.

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Ann

I've used priceline.co.uk to rent cars twice now, and the price always includes CDW, so I don't have to worry about it. I saved about $250 this past time, based on the lowest rates I could find, and about $175 the time before.

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Ann

Rent cars in Ireland, that is.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Bill

Jill, I have not booked my flight yet. We are flying on frequent flyer miles to London. I was looking at Ryanair and they quote all of their fairs one way and they are the same price as the bigger airlines. Bill

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:38 PM
babs

I absolutely recommend Auto Europe. They are great and will beat any price you can find. I used them in Ireland where we had a fender bender (damn roundabouts) and they were wonderful. And no, we did not have insurance. I would go with insurance.