Ireland Itinery, Shannon to Galway

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Dan

Ireland Itinery, Shannon to Galway

We will be arriving in Shannon after flight from Chicago via Dublin to Shannon, arriving about 11:00 am. We intend to rent a car, drive to Bunratty Castle, take a tour and head to Galway for two nights. If anyone has any advice about this plan, whether it's too much, just right, etc. Also, how much time is needed to get a feel of Bunratty, and what's the est. drive time to Galway.

Thanks

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Jane

Dan,

I'd be careful about planning too much for your first day in Ireland. When we were there last year, we flew into Dublin, and we were useless for much of the day. Driving on the "wrong" side on Ireland's roads was harrowing enough later in the journey, when we were well-rested -- I can't imagine what might have happened if we'd headed out on the road as soon as we landed. (Keep in mind, too, that you won't make very good time on most of Ireland's roads, which tend to be narrow and winding.)

Of course, you might recover from overnight flights more quickly than we do, and you might have previous experience in Ireland driving. Everybody's different; just wanted to add my two cents.

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Ron

Dan, I would recommend that you take at look at postings regarding jet lag. I would never try to drive right after a flight. (I did this once in Glasgow and decided that I would never do it again!) Many people on this board seem to recommend taking it easy the first day. I've also never driven in Ireland but I understand that the roads are much narrower than you're used to. Have a great trip!

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:40 AM
xxx

Dan- Should be just about right. We took the same flight a couple of weeks ago, drove through Galway to Renvyle Peninsula. We had plenty of time for sight seeing and grocery shopping once we got to our cottage.

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:07 PM
John

Hi Dan,

Bunratty is about a 10 - 15 minute drive from Shannon airport. Galway is about two hours from Bunratty.

If I were doing this I would probably compromise and get a room near Bunratty for the first night on the basis of:

1. Even if I do drive to Galway I will be too tired to do anything that night.
2. If I stick around the Bunratty area and still have energy I can always find something to keep me inspired - Ennis maybe?
3. I can drive to Galway fresh as a daisy in the morning.

If you are looking for a place to stay I can recommend two in the Shannon/Bunratty area:

1. The Woodlands - three miles from the airport.
2. Dromoland Castle - half way between Bunratty and Ennis at Newmarket-on-Fergus (pricey but worth it)

Have a great time.

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:26 PM
cd

I can sure recommend Dromoland Castle! We stayed there on our way back from Galway and the Connermara. However, How about, arrive in Shannon, pick up your car and take off for Doolin, stopping off to see the Clifs of Moher and spending the night in Doolin. And then off to Galway the next day. This is what we did and was sooooo glad we did not waste a day taking it easy. Doolin's pubs start music at 9:00 and it is what they are known for. I would recommend you get reservations for that night so that you're not hunting for accomodations but can drive straight to your B&B and can then lay down and rest for a while if you feel it necessary. Just a suggestion...Have a great time!

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Dan

Great responses. To hitch hike on my first question, is Bunratty Castle worth doing. We are very energetic people, 30 yrs old, and do alot of traveling. So I'm not too worried about being tired to travel or drive the first day, I'm more concerned with distance and time. Seems to me that the road from Shannon to Galway is decent? Any comments would be great.

I really like the idea of Doolin first night, and was our original thought, however, I want to be fresh for the night out, and are stopping in Doolin for a night after 2 in Galway. First night in Galway to relax, second to party.

Thanks for all the great advice

Dan

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:48 PM
cd

Hi Dan
The only thing we did at Bunratty was attend the Medieval Banquet. It was ok but I wouldn't do it again or even really recommend it. I would really suggest going to Barnes and Noble and buying a Michelin map of Ireland. 10.95 and a good purchase. We had our roads mapped out before leaving,( but flexible enough to change). If you want to do Galway first, I would take N18 north from Shannon and in Ennis N85 and then R476 to R480 to Ballyvaghan, which is on Galway Bay. This route takes you through The Burren which is lovely scenry. In Ballyvaghan make a right on N67 toward Galway. You will come back by Ballyvaghan going to Doolin. If you have the time in Galway, a drive to Cliften via the Connemara is great.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:38 PM
John

Hi Dan,

Skip Buratty.