Reload this Page >

Ireland by bicycle

Search

Ireland by bicycle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:01 PM
Michael

Ireland by bicycle

Me and my friend a planning a bicyle tour of Ireland in September 2002. We will be travelling from Dublin to Galway via the Southern regions. Can anyone supply information on best routes, places to see,road conditions and topography. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has cycled Ireland before.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Ruth

Sorry to see you've not had any responses. I can't help much - I've not cycled in Ireland although my brother has (some years ago). He was able to take his bike on the train from Dublin to the west coast, and ride from there. As to routes, topography etc - it depends where you are going.... same for places to see (maybe your question was just too open-ended). I think you might get more responses if you pick a couple of areas in Ireland and ask for opinions about these. And let us know what types of things you are interested in seeing - historic sites, scenery etc.<BR><BR>As for road conditions, these vary widely (most roads are metalled now!). Also, watch out for tourists driving on the wrong side of the road (the roads are so empty it's easy to forget). The mountainous regions are the most beautiful, in my opinion.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:06 AM
kat

Michael - Try these two websites: <BR>www.irishcycletours.com or goireland.com. They show some of the itinerarys that they offer for cycling tours. At least it will give you an idea of the distance on bike between town and maybe give you some ideas as to where to stay. Good Luck <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Ed

My friend and I ...

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Lexma90

For some background reading, try Eric Newby's "Round Ireland in Low Gear."

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:56 PM
steve

Check with the Cyclist TOuring CLub in Britain for info. Also check in Bicycling Magazine for tour comapnies that go to Ireland and send for info. That will give you some idea of where to go.<BR><BR>If you stick to the smaller roads, it should be fine cycling.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:21 PM
maxmara

Try this site<BR>www.lynotttours.com

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Richard

My wife and I did a self-guided tour of Ireland in September of 1989. We got great information, including cycling maps, from the Irish Tourist Board. We started in Cork, took the train to Tralee and from there began our cycling. We cycled the Dingle peninsula, the Ring of Kerry and wound up in Kinsale. Roads were fine, not much traffic, did encounter some steep (IMO) climbs, especially the Conor Pass. We stayed in B&Bs, no reservations ahead. We had one day of rain, a real downpour that drenched us. Bring waterPROOF, not resistant jacket and rainpants. All in all, it was a great place to start biking, since then we've done Italy, Austria, France, Germany and Denmark. By the way, I'm 64 my wife is 55 and this April we are biking in Holland.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:01 AM
xxx

Michael, did some cycling around Ireland with a friend but used a tour company to put it together. It was great and you will enjoy it. My only advice is to say that in addition to waterproof clothes, make sure they are tight-fitting or you will spend a lot of energy fighting your "sail" on windy stretches.