Reload this Page >

Ireland and self driving.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 1998, 12:52 PM
Jen

My sister and I are planning our trip and would like to know if driving in Ireland is difficult. Mostly I'm concerned about difficult mountain passes.

Old Jan 12th, 1998, 08:01 PM
Charlie

Jen I spent three weeks on a self drive (the only way to go) and don't think you'll have any problems.I was unaccoustomed to driving on the left side of the road & right side of the car but adapted quickly. Probably the most unnerving events would be around large cities , in heavy traffic and dealing with roundabouts (traffic circles). Compared to them mountain passes are nothing. Fear not ! Have a great trip.

Old Jan 12th, 1998, 09:39 PM
Danny

I spent 2 weeks driving around Ireland last year. The other drivers are very nice. The cities & towns can be hectic. If you want to see the Ring of Kerry or Connemora take a tour bus.That way you can both see the sights. Otherwise the driver will miss a lot of scenery. Also you'll occasionally have sheep and an occasional cow on the road but they'll move. Dublin can be very busy. We stayed in Bray and went to Dublin by train.It's only 35 minutesand you end up in the heart of Dublin. The B&B's are also a lot cheaper. Hope this info helps.

Old Jan 15th, 1998, 07:37 PM
Donna

In August 1996 we spent two weeks in Ireland. We landed in Shannon after a very long and tiring flight, and went directly to our rent-a-car location and picked up our car. The agent put our luggage in, backed out the car, then we got in. We just looked at each other and laughed. Tired as we were, we knew we were in for a challenge with driving on the left, with the steering wheel on the right.With a stick shift in the middle. Hubby drove, I read the map. The most hilarious thing was the sign just out of Shannon airport: "DRIVE DEAD SLOW" right next to a car that looked like it had been hit really bad in an accident. They made their point! We did great. Just every morning, when we got into the car, we did the chant: "Left, Left, Left." It helped us remember to stay to the left, left, left. Regarding a tour bus? I'd rather drive so that I can pull off the road to enjoy the beautiful sights just a little bit longer. Also, watch out for the huge tour buses trying to get through narrow arches and passageways and get out of the way. Regarding roundabouts? Amazing in France, when driving on the right side. Even more strange in Ireland, trying to think on the left. Best wishes! Have a great time, take an umbrella, buy some sweaters and crystal.

Old Jan 23rd, 1998, 04:21 PM
Liz

One thing we found helpful was paying extra for an automatic transmission car (we like to use AutoEurope - they have a website). As other people have mentioned, you really need to concentrate to drive on the left and not having to worry about shifting with your left hand relieves some of the pressure. I suggest you reserve a room fairly close to the airport since you will be tired and new to driving on the left. We arrived at Shannon and stayed in Ennis (I think about 20 minutes away) which worked out well. We did not have any problems - just watch the sheep in the road! The people are extremely friendly - they wave as you drive by. I think you will get more out of your trip if you drive yourself. Enjoy!

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 03:51 PM
Susie

My sister and I spent a week driving ourselves around Ireland about a year and a half ago. It's the only way to do it! We had absolutely no problems, especially in places like mountain passes, where we were invariably the only car. I do have some tips, though. 1) GET A WRITTEN CONFIRMATION OF THE PRICE AND CONDITIONS OF YOUR RENTAL CAR BEFORE YOU LEAVE. We got there and they had no record of the rate we had been quoted; we ended up paying twice as much. That was a bummer. 2) AVOID CITIES. We purposely drove around them -- it's just too stressful when you're on the left side of the road. That's it! I can't think of anything else negative about it! We even picked up some hitchhikers, something I would never dream of doing in the U.S., or anywhere else for that matter. Oh, and by the way, I'm going back for 2 more weeks this spring!

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 08:19 PM
Tom

Jen, you should find it fairly easy to travel via car - especially with a navigator. I've driven thru most parts of Ireland twice. Driving on the left is easy after the first day or so (you get used to it then). Re: rentals, if you go with an int'l firm, your chances of getting overcharged are minimized. I recommend an auto trans car with the steering wheeel on the left (as US cars are built).
Renting a car with a wheel on the opposite poses add'l headaches. Re: mountainous passes. There are very few mountains in Ireland and even fewer roads lead anywhere near the peak. The only slight word of caution is to take it slow - since animals may be venturing around the roads and due to th narrowness of some roads. I suggest purchasing a detailed raod map ahead of time (at a travel book store for ex.).
It will help you a great deal in that many back roads are not marked with names yet appear on the map which will help orient you better.

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 07:21 AM
Wendy

I am on my second trip to Ireland. On both trips I was one of the drivers. I avoided Dublin city center but I found it easy to drive the country roads. It is helpful to have a passenger (co-pilot) to remind you to stay on the left. It is especially hard to remember when making turns. Driving straight is ok, it was turning that felt strange. Most roads are single lane each way but some major roads are dual carriageways.

Good Luck.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 02:13 PM
jane

My husband and I have driven in Ireland twice and encountered few problems. Be prepared to get lost at least once-signage is often missing or wrong-but the countryside and people are so great, it really doesn't matter. We stayed away from most of the big towns and going over mountains was no problem-except for the sheep. They tended to graze on the side of the road just at the bend so drive slowly. I would highly recommend a Shannon B&B, we've stayed in both times-its near the airport and the proprietoress is quintessentially Irish-she give you directions and recommendations. Its Balally House at 061-362770-Agnes Timmons. The place is almost brand new and the bedrooms come with baths-not as common in Ireland but improving. Also if you go to the West near Doolin and the Burren, which I recommend, the Ballinalocken Castle house is a good B&B-between Lisdoovarna and Doolin and on the "greenway" of the Burren. Have a great time.

Old Feb 14th, 1998, 05:11 AM
Suzan Phipps

We had no trouble driving in Ireland until we got to the Dingle Peninsula. We took a mountain pass and there were several spots where only 1 car would fit
and one of us had to either back up or sit and let the other vehicle "squeeze" by. There were also some pretty steep dropoffs. I have to admit I was a little nervous but the scenery was spectacular and is definitely worthwhile going there.
Just take your time and enjoy.

Old Feb 14th, 1998, 05:56 AM
Richard

Driving in Ireland is no problem, however, the natives (including my son-in-law) tend to SPEED. We found on some of the smaller roads some distance signs are posted in miles and some in kilometers, on the same road to the same destination. For rental companies I would suggest Kemwel and AutoEurope as well as US companies. We have found AutoEurope to be consistently the best deal but we always check around anyway. It also might be worth your while to check into getting a gold credit card that will cover your CDW, it might pay for itself. You are in for a great trip, Ireland is a lovely country.

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 09:25 AM
Richard Scott

My wife and I have driven all over Ireland and No.Ireland with no serious trouble. Definitely, get an automatic transmission!! You may need a "full-size" car if you have much luggage--most compact cars there are really small. Be prepared to pay some of the highest rental car rates anywhere. Be cautious at the roundabouts. Don'hesitate to travel from the Republic into Northern Ireland--the crossing is not a problem and Ulster is beautiful. Most important: give yourself at least twice as much time to get places as you would in the states, due to traffic, sheep, curves and turns, narrow roads without shoulders, etc. But, driving is the best way to see Ireland and you'll have a great time!

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 10:25 AM
Bob C

three items of information for you: (1) a "full-size" car in Ireland is a "mid-size" here
(2) people who drive cars with the wheel on the left can not see to pass (3) a trick to using a round-a-bout, go around twice the first time find your exit and the second time take the exit, this is because bigest problem is exiting too soon.

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 10:54 AM
Richard

Good advice above, but I would question hiring a car with the steering wheel on the left, imagine driving a right hand drive car in the States. Main piece of advice....take it slow, if you get into a critical situation and your instincts take over you'll be 180 degrees wrong.