Greece Fun or Forget It???

Old Dec 11th, 1997, 05:52 PM
Andra

Greece Fun or Forget It???

I am trying to plan a vacation to Greece for early Fall 1998. I do not have a lot of information on the culture, language, or must see sites. I will be using a time-share for the trip and do not know exactly which island I will be staying on. Do you have any information that can help me find the hot spots for great beaches, nightlife, history, culture and food???Thanks!! Any important info. I shoulld know prior to traveling abroad???

Old Dec 17th, 1997, 12:10 AM
caroline

Hi - I'm also planning a trip to Greece, I'm going in August 98. The best advice I can suggest is to get you hands on a really good guide book, and do some reading on the art / mythology side of things. I have a variety of books on Greece and it's so much easier to plan a trip with interesting things to see and do once you've done a bit of research. if I were you I head to one of the Cyclades islands, they are the more "archetypal" of the islands, more touristy, but beautiful. Good luck and enjoy

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 03:06 AM
Sanne

Hey Andra.

It all depends what you are looking for when you go to Greece. Every island has it's own rythme and own way. If you have never been to Greece and want part of it all, I guess I would choose Crete in the south (Dodecane Islands) or a combination of Athen and a boat to some of the closest islands (Hydra, Spetses, Aegina and Angistri). One Crete it's possible to find all the nightlife and culture you want situated around Chania and Rethymion, but if you rent a car or bike and just to some miles outside these towns, you can find great great beaches and some beautiful nature made of some long good walks. Take care that you don't involve yourself into going to many places - like these you only see "surfaces". and then PLEASE if you decide to go for Crete, try to go up northwest of the island (can't remeber name of town, but close to Fallasarna I think) and take the boat for Kythira, the most beautiful island in all Greece.
Sanne

Old Dec 27th, 1997, 10:43 AM
M.M.

FORGET IT!

Greece is not worth the time. Being the shallow person that I am though, kicking back drinking a beer and renting a video on greece would be afr easier, less expensive, and certainly less time consuming.

Old Dec 27th, 1997, 06:44 PM
John

Hi...I lived on the island of Crete in the village of Kokini Hani (north coast of the island near Iraklion) for 3 years back in the late 80's. I look forward to returning someday for a retrun to this beatitful, exciting land. Strongly encourage you to go in the early fall or late summer. Try to find a hotel in the Gournes, Gouves, Malia area. Much to see and do. Exhange rates to the American dollar are excellent. Do your homework before you go...lots of reading, i.e. Greece Fodor's, etc. Good Luck

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 09:59 AM
Kristen Jangsen

Hi,
I do not know what you are looking for but my boyfriend and I made it to Turkey and Greece last fall,
Greece was nice but we fell in love with Turkey!!
Turkey is the new ''in''place now!!
We found everything better there..The people were great ,the food was much better,prices unbelieveble!!!,the ruins??they got much better ones and certainly much famous ones there then they have in Greece,so much that,most world travellers aggree that if you wnat to see some ancient greek sites, you should go to Turkey!!
We spent some time on some of the most beautiful beaches on western and southern Turkey that anyone can ever imagine ...

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 09:59 AM
Kristen Jangsen

Hi,
I do not know what you are looking for but my boyfriend and I made it to Turkey and Greece last fall,
Greece was nice but we fell in love with Turkey!!
Turkey is the new ''in''place now!!
We found everything better there..The people were great ,the food was much better,prices unbelieveble!!!,the ruins??they got much better ones and certainly much famous ones there then they have in Greece,so much that,most world travellers aggree that if you wnat to see some ancient greek sites, you should go to Turkey!!
We spent some time on some of the most beautiful beaches on western and southern Turkey that anyone can ever imagine ...

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 09:56 PM
Dan

Hi, I went to Greece 2 years ago primarily Athens and the island of Paros, it wasn't bad but I suggest reading up on the country. Athens has some seedy parts as do any cities of its size but what surprised me the most was the pollution, just standing on the street corner my eyes began to burn from all the vehicles passing me putting out terrible fumes. If you are into history though there is probably no better place to go, keep in mind though they will probably be doing lots of house keeping with the upcoming 2004 Olympic games and maybe thier new subway system will be finished soon.
My suggestion if you have somewhere else you really want to go, GO THERE INSTEAD!!

Old Jan 5th, 1998, 01:00 AM
barbara

if you have time go island hopping - take the ferry boats starting in athens and go from island to island, you will find accommodation upon arrival. if you have little time visit crete - hire a car and go round all the beautiful crete places. you will find all cultural and other important information in a good guide book. i have been to greece seven times and that shows how beautiful it is - providing you like nature, sun, sea, history and charming honest people.

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 03:31 PM
Jill

We took a pot luck holiday last Sept to Kos, found ourselves in a small town call Kefalos. It was one of the best holidays of my life, lots of increadable beaches, lovely people, wonderful food. We hired a moped for silly price ( approx £15 for the two weeks!) and spent our time going whereever the fancy took us, have you ever found a flock of goats sunbathing one day and stood in the centre of a volcano the next? ~Kos can be as busy or relaxing as you want. We are going to try Kefallonia this year.
I also visited Crete, (Kokini Hani) about 8 years ago, another brilliant choice different from Kos but just as captivating GO FOR IT!!! Good Luck.