Search

Ireland advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland advice

I am trying to put together an agenda for our trip to Ireland next month. We will be in Ireland for 7 days.

The first 2 days will be in Dublin:
Temple bar hotel in temple bar neighborhood
Grafton street - pedestrian street with shopping
Oconnell st - shopping, monuments, garden of remembrance at end of street
National museum of archeology
Trinity college - the book of kells, the long room
St Stevens green
River Liffey - hapenny bridge
Pubs - stags head, temple bar
Kilmainhim gaol - jail
Cobblestone bar - music 7 nights a week

From there we are heading west:
New grange - outside of Dublin
Passage Tomb -pre Christian, before pyramids, before stone henge

I need some advice on where to stay for the next 2 nights.. I am debating Galway or Ennis. Our itinerary for the next 2 days are:

In Galway city - mid evil , lots of music
Mcdunnas sea food restaurant near Galway bay
Eyre square

From there drive to Connemara
Drive 12 bends to Clifdent
Take Sky road out of Clifton - right on edge of cliff to water

Then head to Claire
Cliffs of moher
Town of Ennis - one of neatest towns in Ireland, cobblestone, mid-evil
Bunratty castle most intact mid-evil castle in Ireland

Where do you think would be a good base for these 2 days? Will it be too much driving to cover all of this out of one hotel location? Will this fill the 2 days or are there recommendations for other things to do in these 2 days?

I hate to change hotels every night but also want to make the most of my time in Ireland so trying to find the tradeoff between changing hotels and fitting in more site seeing vs. driving.

I would love recommendations on the rest of my itinerary so will post more when I have it decided. But from here we would like to go to Killarny, Cork and Waterford. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:07 PM

I would be booking hotels now as many will be filled.
Newgrange visitor's center opens at nine and I would be first in line to make sure you get in that day. Tours are small and it is first come first serve unless you are with a tour group.
Clonmacnoise was one of the most important early medieval ecclesiastical sites in Ireland and is worth a stop if you decide against Newgrange.
I would base myself out of Galway city for the night there and Clifton if you don't want to change hotels.

Stop and see Cliffs on your way to Ennis with lunch in Doolin and drive by of the burren. Bunratty castle if you must.
Bring your earplugs for sleeping in Temple Bar.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM

Dublin up to Newgrange and a steady drive west to Galway, maybe Belvedere House and or Clonmacnoise before the run into the City and your 1st night there.

Then the Connemara Drive and your 2nd night in Galway. Drive down through west Clare and overnight in Ennis for your night 5.

Day 6 drive round Dingle peninsula to Killarney?

Day 7, isn't going to fit Cork and Waterford on the way back to Dublin.

Something has to give
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:38 PM

While you can try and fit in all you can while in Dublin, you are unlikely to be able to achieve all your targets in the following two days.
For a start, I would consider Galway as your base for the two nights. If you are including a visit to Newgrange en route, you should still make there by late afternoon. If you dine at McDonaghs, wander up the street to Tigh Neachtain for a pint afterwards. Allow at least three hours plus driving time for the trip to Clifden and back - but you would be better not to just use the N59 there and back. Perhaps return to Galway via Leenane and Maam.
Your exploration of County Clare can form part of your trip southwards towards Killarney on the following day.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

flpab: Do you have a suggestion on a hotel in Dublin? I wanted to be in the Temple bar area and the hotel looked nice, but if it is going to be really loud I would prefer another hotel in the same area.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Tony2phones: Thanks for the caution. Do you have advice for a first time visitor on what to cut out?
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

SeeDee Thanks so much for the suggestions
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 06:27 PM

Is the day you arrive in Dublin one of your two days in Dublin?

My advice is that you are trying to cover a lot in Dublin in two days, and, for the rest of Ireland,
probably too much over the remaining 5 days. I think you might have to jettison Killarney etc, and possibily a little more.

If it's good weather when you arrive in Dublin, do your outdoor (walking) things.

Apart from Kilmainham Gaol, geographically speaking, most everything else is concentrated as a relatively easy walk, if the weather is good.

I am biased about Temple Bar. There can be a lot of alcohol fueled noise at night, and, occasionally, alcohol fueled violence in the evening. A rather inauthentic area in my opinion.

I've stayed at the Maldron Parnell Square. It is a stone's throw from the Garden Of Remembrance, and even closer to the Dublin City Gallery (aka the Hugh Lane), containing Francis Bacon's London mews studio, among other things, and some amazing stained glass by Harry Clarke.

Jurys Inn Parnell Street is another nearby possibility. It's a little closer to the Liffey. There are other Jurys Inns scattered around central Dublin.

There are more authentic pubs to try than what predominates in Temple Bar. Stags Head is a good choice. Mulligans of Poolbeg St (short walk from Trinity College, close to the Liffey) is one. Apparently started as a shebeen in 1782. Generally considered to have one of the best pints in Dublin. I often take a pint or two there when I'm in Dublin.

There is the Brazen Head, the oldest bar in Dublin (established circa 1198).

For something more refined, try the Horseshoe Bar, the smaller of the two public bars in the Shelbourne Hotel.

Your visit to Newgrange will probably take up half the day. I did it once with a Mary Gibbons tour, which included a visit to the Hill of Tara. She has a priority slot for entrance to the interior of Newgrange. She does a tour pickup on O'Connell St in downtown Dublin near the Maldron. This turned out to be an enjoyable full day.

As other people have said, you may have to prioritize and do some trimming.

I would suggest considering driving through Galway to Connemara, doing your thing there, and then stay in Galway as you double back. Try to drive through the Lough Inagh Valley, off the N59. You will have the 12 Bens (and Lough Inagh and Derryclare Lough) on one side of you, and the Maumturks on the other side. Quite stunning.

Jurys Inn Galway, at the bottom of Quay St, is a central location. It is about 100 feet from Mc Donagh’s Seafood Restaurant. One oddity, they don't serve Guinness at Mc Donagh's. There is a public parking garage adjacent to Jurys. But it was built with exceedingly narrow ramps and parking slots. so unless you are driving a subcompact or compact, I'd recommend staying out of it. Use the Hynes Garage on Merchants Road, about 150 yards away. It is open 24hrs/day, and has wide ramps. Its oddity is that, once inside, you drive on the right side, as if you were in the States.

I've not eaten there, but I've had friends rave about Martines on Quay St. The Crane Bar (and Restaurant) is also a good place for trad music.

For an interesting experience of what Galway was like 50 years ago, come out the front door of Jurys. Turn right, and walk across the bridge over the Corrib, and proceed about 100 feet, and then veer right. In this neighborhood are lots of little pubs, restaurants, galleries etc. I find it intriguing. It has lots of students, and seems relatively untouristed

Up through last summer, you could usually drive around Connemara, pull into a B&B in the morning and
make a reservation for that night. With the weak Euro, that may be difficult to do on short notice this summer.

So I'd peruse Tripadvisor or whatever to scope out B&Bs in advance. If you drive out west from Galway, not on the N59, but on the R336 Coast Road through
Barna and Spiddal and points west, there are a lot of B&B's along the road. Spiddal is a good village for trad music.

There are a couple of hotels in and around Clifden, but I have no experience with them.

Close to Clifden is an upscale (not cheap) hotel in the Lough Inagh Valley, the Lough Inagh Lodge. I've stayed there several times, and have been very happy. They have their own restaurant, and their own pub. Very nice people. They are likely to be full, but people do cancel reservations. This could be your splurge of the trip. Even if you don't stay there, I'd suggest stopping in for lunch. If you are into fishing, they own the fishing rights on Lough Inagh, and their log book is interesting reading, at least for a fisherman.

For Irish dolmens etc, a good website is;

http://www.stonepages.com

In Clare, the preeminent one is Poulnabrone, in the Burren. I would have a backup plan (could be the Burren) in case of inclement weather at the Cliffs of Moher. If it's totally socked in, it may not be worth the visit. I've haven't been there since the new visitor's center went in. Some people rave about it, others rant about it. For trad music, Doolin is great, but very popular and crowded. There are B&Bs outside of,
but close to Doolin, that you might want to consider, then take an evening taxi into the town. The BAC level
for intoxication is significantly lower in Ireland than in the US, and, depending, just one Imperial pint (19.2 US oz) of Guinness can get you close to the limit.

The Irish government is big into speed traps now. For speed zones 60 km/hr and above, there seems to be
about a 10% cushion before a ticket is issued. For 50 km/hr and lower speed limits, there seems to be no mercy. I had a cousin doing 52 km/hr in a 50 km/hr zone get a ticket. With a rental car, the infraction notice will go to the rental car company, who will charge your credit card €30 as the cost of notifying you. The fine, payable to the appropriate Irish agency, will be around €100 depending. They do take credit cards.

I'd suggest something like; some time in Dublin, travel over to Connemara, then use Galway town as a base. The Cliffs of Moher and the Burren are an easy day trip from Galway. Skip Doolen, lots of good trad in Galway. And head to Dublin airport from Galway on the motorway. It is about a 3 hr drive.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 04:42 AM

Buswells by Trinity is much quieter and there is a new Travelodge by St Stephen's green. I like Christ Church area and there is a Jury's Inn there or stay at the Harding Hotel across the street from Christ Church. Darkey Kelly's pub is there and great music. We had an apratment this last visit but a friend stayed at the Harding and loved it. We stayed there in 2000 and they have remodeled and it was very nice and good price.

You can get a day tripper pass to use all the buses or luas tram also. If not that at least get the airlink rt ticket to and from the airport for ten euro. It stops and picks up at many locations. Aircoach also.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

roving_guy thank you very much for all the great insight and advice. I will be re-doing my agenda so as to follow your suggestions.

flpab thanks for the hotel suggestions. I am going to cancel Temple Bar hotel. The thought was lovely but the reality....not so much.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 09:11 AM

Bit late now, but Galway is a good touring base with the Connemara to the west along the N59 http://goo.gl/Ek8bpw & https://goo.gl/UL09QA and Clare to the south https://goo.gl/UtW24m some points on possible Dublin to Galway routes https://goo.gl/sQATcr
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 09:20 AM

might also be some points in http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...eed-advice.cfm if you are considering Spiddal.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 11:45 AM

A few additional comments.

Previous suggestions, by other posters, about stopping in Clonmacnoise,constitute excellent advice. It's a short (< 30 minute) diversion south of the M6, just before Athlone. So as you drive from Dublin to Galway, it really is on the way.

If you use the N59 to proceed into Connemara, you could use the R336 to return to Galway. They intersect at Maam Cross. Traveling east from Clifden or Lough Inagh on the N59, when you reach Maam Cross, you turn right (south) onto the R336. The R336 is slower and more curvy, but it is very scenic.

If there are problems finding accommodation in Galway, I can make some suggestions with respect to places in or around Spiddal. From Spiddal is a short drive east into Galway, outside of the rush hours. I've been traveling to Spiddal since 1963.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 12:14 PM

Personally I would head out on the 59 and return to Galway via Cong and Headford. I like Spiddal and know it well but the R336 is hardly scenic, its narrow undulating and has a couple of easy miss junctions that can send you off in the wrong direction (I know the road well and have been caught out a couple of times) Rather than heading to Galway from Spiddal (should you chose there to stay) you can cut up into Moycullen and join the N59 there.
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Your feedback has been very helpful. Here is what I have so far for our plan. The first few days are solid, but I am still working on the last few days. I would love your suggestions on the latter part of the week.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin in the am
Day 2: Dublin all day

Hotel for the above is Jurys Inn on Parnell St (2 nights)

Things to do: Grafton street - pedestrian street with shopping; Oconnell st - shopping, monuments, garden of remembrance at end of street; National museum of archeology; Trinity college - the book of kells, the long room; St Stevens green; River Liffey - hapenny bridge; BarKilmainhim gaol - jail
Pubs - stags head, mulligans of Poolbeg St, Brazen Head and Horseshoe

Day 3: Newgrange or Clonmacnoise or Belvedere House then on to Galway, dinner at McDonaghs, wander up the street to Tigh Neachtain for a pint afterwards. Or Martines on Quay St. for dinner and The Crane Bar (and Restaurant)for music
Day 4: Drive to Connemara, Lough Inagh Valley, 12 Bens

Hotel for the above is Jurys Inn on Quay St (2 nights)

Day 5: Drive through Clare - Bunratty Castle, Burren, Cliffs of Moher
Hotel for this night - Debating somewhere near Doolin or in Ennis. Any good suggestions?

Day 6: Drive to Cork
Options: Ballycotton cliff walk, Mizen village, Patric street, St Finn Barrs cathedral

Hotel in Cork ??

Day 7: Waterford. then on to Dublin to stay in a hotel near the airport

Day 8: fly out in the am
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 10:29 AM

If heading for Cork after west Clare then consider Adare for the overnight.

Doolin, nice to visit but 50+ multi accommodations and only 2 pubs? sorry not my idea of a good night.

Ennis I love and always recommend as a town full of Irish with a few tourists to add colour and lots of options. Grey Gables is 2 minutes walk into the town centre. But consider saving an hour from the next day's drive to Cork and use Adare.

Personally I like the Woodlands in Adare but its out of town a little, the main Hotels cater for US visitors and charge accordingly. Aspen House is a good B&B central for the town.

Cork I either stay in Blarney or Cobh so can't help with the city accommodation.