Search

Ireland - 7 days and I'm overwhelmed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland - 7 days and I'm overwhelmed

Hi everyone,

I've been all over the Ireland forums looking for the best of the best for a quick 7 day trip to Ireland, and I'm more overwhelmed than I was before reading everything...

I arrive in Dublin, Jan 9, 2011 at 6:30am from Canada. I work Mon, Tue in Dublin and have the rest of the week to see Ireland.

I don't mind driving, but want to make sure I don't waste time in a car going to a place that won't be worth the trip. I know we'll have limited daylight and the weather will be a little iffy, but still warmer than Ottawa ;-)

I would like to see quintessential Ireland. A great pub, a castle, beautiful scenery, quaint town, majestic ocean views.

After reading everything, I'm thinking of flying out of Shannon after the 7 days, instead of heading all the way back to Dublin. I'm also thinking I don't need to head all the way down to Cork. Dingle also seems to be worth spending some time at.

Thanks so much for your help -- I just found out about the work trip on Friday and need to purchase the airline tickets Monday so I want to make sure I'm making the best decision by flying back to Canada from Shannon instead of Dublin.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Given the time of year and short amount of time, that you have I'd recommend that you stay in Dublin to make the most of your time. Using Luas and the DART, you'll be able cover most of the items on you list without spending a lot of time in a car (on slippery roads).

Best pub in Dublin, too many to choose from, but one we enjoyed was The Porterhouse Brewing Co.,16-18 Parliament Street.

Great scenery, here's an off-beat suggestion - take the Guiness Storehouse tour - a bit touristy but the view from the Gravity Bar on top is the best way to see the Wicklow Mountains on a wintry day (and the free pint is an added benefit). Also, check out Irelandrailtours.com for day trips.

In addition to Fodor's site, check out the Trip Advisor and Rick Steeve's web sites for more ideas. We used all three for our trip, and found them useful in trying to make the best use of our time. But when all is said and done, just relax, enjoy the city on foot and by public transit, and you'll be surprised what you "stumble upon" in your five days.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM
cd

Dingle is one of the most beautiful places we have been. Connor Pass and Slea Head Drive have georeous views! I'm just not sure of their safety in the winter but I'm sure you could find out. http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/index.html
You could visit the Clifs of Moher http://tinyurl.com/2dzwggq
in the morning and then drive to Dromoland Castle for your last night before the drive on to Shannon Airport the next day.http://www.dromoland.ie/ We loved our time there!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
odonnell521 has given some good advice IMO.

We did the west of Ireland only for 2 weeks in Sept. 2010 so I can't comment on Dublin (we will see Dublin next trip in May), but the driving in Ireland is difficult in the best of conditions, and as he stated, I wouldn't want to try it in Jan.

Also, Dingle was our favorite scenery, but again, in Jan. I don't think I'd want to be driving those costal roads.

Given the short time you have, I would either stay in the Dublin area or as an alternative, take the train west for a few days, pick up a car there and fly home from Shannon.

We loved Ireland in Sept. and if we were given the chance to go there in the dead of winter, we would definitely go, but choose our areas carefully.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Actually in talking to my Irish relatives, Dublin is suffering worse weather and big-city traffic problems than the West of Ireland during these most recent terrible storms and cold. And Dublin traffic isn't great at the best of times!

While I love Dublin for short visits, the theater, museums, etc., I'd also say to spend only a few days there and then head for Galway. The finished freeway makes this a short trip no matter the weather, but the train ride is also comfortable and you can enjoy the scenery.

You can enjoy Galway's terrific historic pubs with open fires and music sessions, nearby castles with medieval entertainment, the fabulous local scenery and ocean vistas as well as those of nearby Clare, Connemara, Mayo. The Galway arts scene is quite good as well. The West really has the feel of old Ireland still in many places.

And then, of course, the southwest of Ireland is amazing! While I also adore the Dingle Peninsula and Kerry, if you're not an old hand at left-side driving on very narrow steep roads, I'd suggest taking a bus tour while there so that you can relax and enjoy the overwhelming views.

Flying out of Shannon is terrific at the end of a trip, as it is such a small airport. I'd definitely book return from there avoiding another cross-country drive or train ride.

Above all, pack smart for this trip! There is no bad weather...only bad clothing choices! Layers is the operative word! For example, any time of year, I bring Cool Max and wool socks, Cuddle-Duds long underwear, Patagonia/REI fleece jacket, Patagonia waterproof raincoat with hood/hat, Smith & Hawken French rain shoes, and Mountain Hard Wear Power Stretch gloves. In this way, I can enjoy myself no matter the weather...inside (some B&Bs/houses/restaurants are still kept colder than you may be used to) or out.

You'll have a terrific time...if you are open to the wet weather you're sure to get and are prepared for it physically and mentally. The firesides feel cozier, the people more welcoming to the stranger coming in from the downpour, and you can really enjoy those sessions in the pub commiserating together. Have fun and let us know how it goes!!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
cd

OH, speaking of cozy, coming in out of the wet weather and enjoying the peat fires in the pubs is the best!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Agree with previous posts, book your flight into Dublin and out of Shannon. Stay a day or 2 extra in Dublin then take the train to Galway. By using guided day trips [see http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=173 for examples] and bus service from Galway to Shannon [ see http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=167 ] you can probably get by without having to rent a car. Definitely make use of the TI offices and enjoy your trip.