Search

Trip to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Ireland

My wife and I found a great deal on plane tickets to Ireland in March so we booked the plane tickets and now need to plan the rest of the trip. We land in Dublin on March 17th, yes will be a crazy day to get there. we get in at 4.

We were talking about just getting our rental car and getting out of Dublin that day and end our trip there for the last couple of days? advice

So we are planning on making a big circle around Ireland, as I said we get there the 17th and fly back out on the 24th. Any advice or tips on what we should do and see? all help is very appreciated.

Also, how should we pack for this trip? what do you think we would need?

Thanks,
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 06:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I would maybe not drive super far getting in at four. You might be able to go west and stop at Athlone, Moate or another place for the first night. Head to Galway next day. See Clonmacnoise in the morning along the way. I suppose you'd want to go to Kerry, Cork and then back to Dublin. I would bring a rain coat, layers underneath. Galway has a big St Patrick's day also so hotels might be at a premium there also. I would book now.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 05:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I’m not sure how big your circles are but you might want to draw out your route on something like Google Maps and see how many hours you will be driving each day. I suspect you won’t like the result.

The weather (who knows!) will likely be around 50 degrees and you’ll think it’s about to rain. But it probably won’t.

http://www.ireland.com/en-us/about-i...lands-weather/
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been to Ireland 8 - 10 times in early March (because of an annual conference). I have encountered gorgeous, mild sunny days where I wore nothing but a sweatshirt. I have also had bone-chilling, teeth-chattering cold, treacherous icy roads, and snow storms. March weather is a crap shoot.

Personally, there's no way I would enjoy driving that big a loop in 6 days. On your arrival day it will be dark by the time you get a car, and you'll be jet-lagged and exhausted. NOT a good time to be driving on the "wrong" side of the road. And on your departure day, you will need to be back at the airport. Plus if you spend the last couple of days in Dublin you will only have 3 or 4 days to do that tremendous amount of driving.

I have done several Ireland trips where I covered a LOT of ground, checked things off my list, but was exhausted and stressed from all the driving. I would suggest picking a couple of places and enjoying your time.

You didn't specify what appeals to you. What I love the most in Ireland is the natural beauty and the small villages. I don't need more than a day in Dublin. My favorite places: the Dingle Peninsula, the area around Killarney, the Rock of Cashel, Newgrange, and the Antrim Coast (including the extraordinary Giant's Causeway, Ballintoy Harbour, and Carrick-a-rede) in Northern Ireland.

I've loved so many other areas and I understand wanting to see everything. But you have a relatively short time -- and some very long driving distances.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 05:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
You could get into Dublin, take the bus to Belfast for a couple of days until the hoopla calms down in Dublin. Great day tours of the most beautiful coastline ever with McCombs tours. Belfast is a great city and a lot to see with a black cab tour, Titanic museum, city hall, etc. Go back to Dublin and stay there doing some trips to Glendalough, Wicklow, Howth etc. I would not do a loop. Dublin has so much to see with free museums, churches, great pubs and good public transportation.
Arrive at Dublin airport three hours before flight.
You can also take the gobus from Dublin airport to Galway and rent a car there for several days. Just easier for arrival day.