ireland - 1st visit

Search

ireland - 1st visit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ireland - 1st visit

My husband and I (47yrs old) are planning a trip to Ireland for our 25th anniversary. We are renting a car and want to relax, enjoy the scenery and visit some pubs! I have the itinerary (open to suggestions) and we're trying to decide on accomodations - B&B, hotels, do we book ahead, do we want to be in town (walking distance to everything) or outside of town (where many of the nice B&Bs seem to be located). Any suggestions on our itinerary and accomodations are most appreciated!! We are really looking forward to this trip! We are traveling mid May.
Day 1 & 2 - Arrive Dublin - booked at the Brooks Hotel. TO DO: Hop on Bus tour, Kilmainhan Gaol Historical Museum, Guiness Storehouse, Traditional Music Pub Crawl, 1916 Rebellion Walking Tour.
Day 3 & 4 - Pick up car. To DO: Rock of Cashel, Blarney Castle ...think we'll stay in Cork two nights. Thinking about a nice dinner at either Blair's Innor Jacques.
Day 5 & 6 - Dingle, 2 nights - accomodations?? To do: Ring Of Kerry, horseback riding.
Day 7 & 8 - Galway...we are planning on booking 2 nights at StCleran's Manor (as day 8 is our 25th anniversary) To Do: Cliffs of Mohr, Aran Islands, Bunratty Castle
Day 9 - ?? thinking of staying around Connemera or Clifden.
Day 10 - we have to head back to Dublin as our flight is the next day in the morning...any suggestions on a scenic drive to return to Dublin.
Well that's the plan - what do you think?? thanks for any information!! MJ
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Your Itin. sounds pretty good. You mention anniv. Tell the hotel and you may get a nice surprise..We have received upgrades, champagne, goodies and if nothing else good wishes. If you don't ask/tell you don't get. If a travel agent is handling your trip tell them to pass on the word..Clifden--we stayed @ Abbey Glen Castle..Lovely place.Sometimes it's nice to cast off the B&B mindset and enjoy a little luxury.Another place we have stayed is Aran View Hotel. Local charm and quite comfortable You may not want a scenic drive back to Dublin before your flight..A straight shot may be easier and time wise safer. You didn't mention your flight time. We left Adare in the morning 6:30AM` and went straight to airport and JUST made it for a 11 AM flight. so take care and have a great time..
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information - I agree that luxury is always nice and plan on checking out your recommendation in Clifden. And I'll let the hotel know about our anniversary. We have a day and night before we fly out of Dublin - so we have a day to drive and then plan another night in Dublin before flying out the next morning. I had hoped to post on the Ireland board - but I keep showing up on Europe - by any chance do you know what I'm doing wrong or how to move this post to Ireland?? Thank you very much AmerCan
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM

I never know what I am doing either..A tech dodo!!!As you can see I even posted twice..???? However I need to correct the name of the town we drove to Dublin from.. NOT Adare but Ardmore.. Also Pembroke townhouse in Dub. is nice..A nice walk to the center and very quiet. Try "Ireland of the welcomes" for their byways. They may have some suggestions. Most routes are scenic. Let all hotels etc.know about the anniversary.This special trip you are on..Never know..How I envy you..25 years, would love to go back and do the next 25 again.. ..We are 55yrs attached and still going strong..Our 50th and 53rd were celebrated in Ireland and elsewhere in Europe. Memorable!!! I plan to go out of this world with my passport in order, my shots up to date and travel plan in hand and/or being executed..Maybe even first class if I can swing it!!!
Again take care, have fun and know that once you go to Ireland you return!!!Not just home but back to the emerald isle..
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM

There isn't an Ireland board. All you can achieve is to have a post to the Europe board tagged as relating to Ireland.

I wouldn't try to do the Ring of Kerry from Dingle. I hope you meant the Slea Head drive.

There isn't a truly scenic drive from Galway to Dublin (flat midland terrain). It's worth building in time to visit the monastic site at Clonmacnoise, near Athlone.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks AmeriCan for the kind words - congratulations are your 55 years. I hope to spend many more years and anniversaries traveling with my husband!
Padraig - Rather that two nights in Dingle - should we do the ROK stay in Killarney and then go to Dingle the next day and stay there for a night?? I just liked the idea of staying in the same spot two nights. I underestimated the driving involved! thanks for pointing that out to me! And we'll plan on seeing Clonmacnoise! Thanks!
MJ