Ireland 11 day itinerary! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland 11 day itinerary! Help please!

Hi!
Reposting as suggested:

I’ll be in Ireland for 11 days with my boyfriend in September and have a general plan (very general) as to what to see but would appreciate any input/suggestions to make the trip better! We are renting a car for a week and this is our first driving trip so the itinerary is probably not so great so I need help! I am interested in historic sites and architecture (castles, monasteries, churches etc.) while my boyfriend is more of a laid-back nature/athletic type so we’re trying to fit both interests together!

Day 1 – Arrive Dublin. Explore city.

Day 2 – Dublin - Take Mary Gibbons day tour of Newgrange

Day 3 & 4 – Dublin. See the sights and potentially take another day trip (Malahide castle? Or suggestions?

Day 5 – Pick up rental. Drive to Kilkenny via Glendalough (164 km or approx. 3h). Explore Kilkenny inc. castle. Overnight in Kilkenny.

Day 6 – Drive to Cork via Rock of Cashel and Blarney (175 km or approx. 3h10min). Overnight in Cork.

Day 7- Explore coast south of Cork & Kinsale. Maybe do some sea kayaking. Overnight in Cork.

Day 8 – Drive to Killarney (90 km or 1h30min). Explore & overnight in Killarney.

Day 9 – Ring of Kerry and Kenmare (?) Is it too crowded and not enjoyable? Overnight in Killarney.

Day 10 – Drive to Limerick via Adare (110 km or 2h). Explore Limerick & overnight.

Day 11 – Drive to Cliffs of Moher early in the morning & the burren (77 km or 1h20min each way). Spend the day and then in the evening drive to Dublin (272km or approx 4h30min). Arrive late & overnight near Dublin airport for flight in the morning.

I used the 35miles/h rule for the approx. times. I know the last day is intense….very bad initial planning…We booked a return flight from Dublin before realizing that Shannon was only about 100$ more per person…bad idea but we now have to live with it.

Thank you!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Not bad.

Re day 10: Many people do not like Limerick much. I suggest that you substitute Ennis for your overnight. You can still have a look at Limerick and judge for yourself if you agree with me. By driving a little extra that day, you will take a corresponding amount of the following day's heavy load.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM

There are better Ireland experts than me on this board, but if I were you I'd get rid of Limerick & Adare, spend that day doing the Cliffs and the Burren, and give yourself a day to drive to Dublin. Adare is a tourist trap, and I'm not sure there's much to see in Limerick. The only problem is that the drive from Kerry to Co. Clare is going to be quite a haul. Dingle is beautiful, and it would be a good side trip, but IMO it's best enjoyed with 2 nights & 1 full day to spend there. Some people prefer Kerry & some prefer Dingle. I haven't been to Kerry, but Dingle is supposed to be more rugged, so I guess it depends on what kind of scenery you prefer. I also think that Killarney is a tourist trap, although the lakes are pretty.

Hoping others can jump in and help you rearrange this a bit!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Hi there, I was wondering are you used to driving on the side of the street they drive on in Ireland? It can be a little hairy at first. Some of the roads are very narrow and you can end up behind a tractor or big truck and it can suck up some of your travel time. Signs can be confusing. I felt like we were in Oz one time. We were very happy we rented an automatic. We met another couple and they had been fighting the whole time over driving and wished they had spent the extra $100.00 for the automatic. I'm just listing these things for your consideration because so much time in trip planning is spent trying to figure out where you will visit.
You will be up early and to bed late. Your itinerary looks good but you will be busy. You will probably need a rest when you get home.
When we did the Ring of Kerry we had not thought about those dang tour buses. It stinks if you are stuck behind one. The way is very narrow and hard to get around them. We found our main agenda there to make sure we beat out the buses when we made stops.
We really enjoyed the Muckross House and The Meeting of the Waters.
We really enjoyed The Rock of Cashel and right near there, Cahir Castle. We didn't do Blarney because we didn't go as far south as Cork and Kinsale.
I hope this is helpful to you. Have a wonderful time. Ireland is beautiful and the people "lovely" I hope you like tea because my husband said he only had good coffee at one place we stayed (an American owner)
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Four Days in Dublin might be too much. On your first day, leave your luggage at your lodgings and catch the Hop-on/off open-top bus. It will provide a narrated tour of the city, allow you to disembark at sites at your leisure and, in most cases, provides a discounted admission to the site. The ticket is good for a full twenty-four hours from the time of purchase

If you added Day 3 & 4 to your time out of Dublin, you would have time to do the Dingle Peninsula properly

Day 5 will be a full day. I would suggest that you depart from Dublin as early as possible so that you can give both Glendalough and Kilkenny the time they deserve. I would recommend staying in Kinsale over Cork. It will set you up nicely for the drive to Kenmare and the Beara. Likewise, I would recommend staying in Kenmare over Killarney. You can still go up to Killarney from Kenmare (an hour's drive tops) to explore Killarney. I will add my voice to the "stay somewhere other than Adare & Limerick" chorus. I would suggest Ennis. It is a wonderful mid-size Irish town, with cobbled streets and some great architecture.

Slan Beo,

Bit
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM

CowboyCraic wrote; "Four Days in Dublin might be too much."

Huh! That's my home town you're dissing.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Padraig,

To be sure there is plenty enough to do in Dublin to keep one busy for a week. However, I was trying to prevent the one night blur that seemed t'be developing, as well the extremely long day of driving just before a long flight home.

If I stepped on toes, at least I know you were awake and paying attention! LOL

Slan Beo,

Bit
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

We rented an automatic so that'll make our life easier...Also my boyfriend will be doing most of the driving and he seems to think he can handle it! Only time will tell!
As to spending less time in Dublin, since we'll be daytripping to Newgrange we really only have 3 days including the one in which we arrive...I'm very interested in history and art and just walking around taking in the city so I'd rather not rush Dublin!
As for the rest I'm looking into changing Cork to Kinsale and Killarney to Kenmore and Limerick to Ennis/Doolin...Since its about three weeks away any suggestions as to b&b's to stay on a tight budget? Also if we go from the Kerry area up to Doolin area in one day is it too much? I heard you can take a ferry to save time? Anyone know the details?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM

a_gallag,

I've been to Ireland only 8 times so I'm far from an expert. I like your itinerary with the changes you made for the last 3 stops. I envy you with taking the time in Dublin. I've never stayed long enough to do all I would like. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Joan
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Glad you've got an automatic. Glad you're staying in Dublin a few days. We did the Mary Gibbons tour and enjoyed it. We were glad we had some time in Dublin before getting the car and heading out.
In Kenmare I can recommend Ashberry Lodge. Francie and Regina the owners are very nice. Regina kept saying my husband looked just like her uncle Ronnie. This is the place with good coffee! The beds were comfortable and the shower good. It's about a 10 min walk in to the town square. A small flashlight would be a good thing to bring on your trip as you can find yourself in some pretty dark places in the small towns at night.
http://www.ashberrylodge.com/
Kenmare Accommodation Ireland - Ashberry Lodge Bed and Breakfast Ireland
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:25 AM

I was only in Adare once driving though and stopped for lunch so I can't really comment but Limerick I like to go shopping when i am in the area but Ennis is really nicer in my opinion. Its a lagish country town and has good accommodation, food and music if thaats what you are looking for. Try the Old Ground Hotel or there are several B&B's listed here for Ennis http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory...p;county=Clare You cxan drop the car off and just wander the town its really a nice place. I stayed at the old ground about a year ago and it was lovely. They have a restaurant and pub/bar as a paert of the hotel on the main street. I am getting married here in a few months and so far have found them excellent.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM

I am glad you are staying four days in Dublin. If you are interested in history and architecture, there are years' worth of things to see in Dublin. I agree that Kinsale might be a better choice than Cork for overnight. Visit the charles Fort for history, etc.

I have always enjoyed the Ring of Kerry Drive. Don't forget the little detour to the Staigue Fort (sign was still very small the last time I was there), but worth the stop for history, etc. It is about 10 miles west of Sneem, on your right driving west.
The ferry from Kerry to Clare (Killarney to Ennis) goes from Tarbert to Killimer. Takes 20 minutes and is a great opportunity to step out of the car and stretch your legs. It goes on the half hour from Tarbert, on the hour from Killimer. No need for reservations. Up to date info at www.shannonferries.com

Also agree that Ennis is a great town--lots of eating choices, nice shops, etc. If you are early enough, you might want to stop at Cragganouwen (sp?). A tower house (castle-like), and recreated village on a crannog, nice woodland walk, good little tearoom, sandwiches, light lunch and drinks.

Have fun! Can't wait for your trip report.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:46 AM

I loved Adare! And I don't like tourist traps. I thought it was a quaint little town. We had a drink at the Manor. That was one of the highlights of our trip. The Manor house was amazing. We've already planned my nephew's wedding there and he is 4!

The ferries are great and do save a lot of time. Just look on your map (and make sure you get a spiraled detailed one) and you will see little boats on the map crossing between various points. Just drive to where the boats are on the map and there will be signs for the ferry. You just drive right on, pay, and get out and walk around and enjoy your short sea voyage. Very easy.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Kenmare-Hawthorn House is nice B&B with great location in Kenmare, steps from pubs, dining, and shopping, nice breakfast...take a walk to the stone circle on the edge of town.

Doolin-lots of B&B options within walking distance of pubs/pub grub.
Last trip stayed in Cullinan's, great breakfast (also books fast).

If you don't already have Dublin reservations...that should be priority. May not have many budget options that appeal to you (Dublin is not a budget town...another benefit to getting out into smaller towns).