Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland: 10 days Dec w public tranportation-Suggestions, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I (2 women) are flying into Dublin on the morning of Dec 18 and flying out of Dublin early afternoon Dec 28. Neither of us has been to Ireland. We know that this is not the ideal time to visit the country, but hope to have a wonderful time. We do not drive so we will be depending on public transportation (buses or trains). We are hoping to book B&Bs except for Christmas (hotel) because we are fairly sure that all will be closed for the holiday.

We are both European and enjoy local colour as well as cultural visits. We understand that a great holiday does not mean necessarily seeing everything, but if there are some NOT TO BE MISSED places/events/experiences we would love to know about them.

Any guidance will be MUCH appreciated with respect to itinerary, transpo (bus vs train), particular B&Bs or restaurants/pubs, as well as input for Christmas eve/day. We are in our late 30's/early 40's, open-minded, adevnturesome, and are on a budget but enjoy a splurge once in a while.

We hope to incorporate West Clare into our visit as friends will be there.

If you have a strong suggestion for in which town we should spend Christmas, please recommend!

I might add a couple of days before the arrival of my friend and can fly into another city and then go to Dublin to join her or she could join me (I haven't yet purchased my ticket), so if there is an additional bit to add that is not included in core 10 days but worth a visit, please suggest.

Many thanks!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Preliminary idea is that we will visit Dublin, Galway, Kinsale, and West Clare. Comments?

I can arrive 2-4 days earlier than my friend. Kilkenny or Belfast or somewhere else--what do you say?

Also, specific recommendations for activities/restaurants/pubs/accommodations(we cannot do 5 star;good value for money B&B's and a hotel in Galway for XMAS) you have LOVED would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your input!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM

I have travelled to Ireland 3 times in 2 years.
All times I have rented a car and driven throughout the country - once with DH and twice with other photographer friends.
I have heard that public buses are unreliable outside of the major cities. Public transportation in Dublin is first rate, but not so in the countryside.
A popular T-shirt for sale in Ireland is of two skeletons sitting on a bench near a sign that says "Bus Stop". THis might tell you something.
A Better choice might be to hire a driver. I have met several groups of females that did this rather than attempt the driving which can be hair-raising at times. I was told that Taxis are reasonable outside of the cities.
The western part of Ireland is the most scenic. Shannon airport is in the western part of the country.
I have been to Dublin twice. I prefer to stay out of the major cities in favor of the countryside. I am sure there are people who love Dublin, but if I am able, I don't plan to go back. IMHO there is not that much to see.
However, one of my favorite places, the village of Glendalough in the Wicklow mountains is close to Dublin and makes a great day trip.
If you could modify your trip to fly in and out of Shannon, I would suggest a private driver - supposed to reasonable - and taking in Killarney and the RIng of Kerry, the Dingle Peninsula, County Clare, and the Connemara Peninsula.
If you cannot modify your trip and must travel in and out of Dublin, you might be able to pick up a bus tour that would take you through the country.
A great splurge for Christmas would be to stay at the Ballynahinch Castle on the Connemara Peninsula, maybe about 1 hour outside of Galway. The manor house is beautiful and so is the surrounding estate. Book asap.
B&B's are very reasonable everywhere. I have stayed in many and the people who run them were always great and very hospitable.
I have not had a bad experience at any B&B. The were always immaculate, though the furnishings ran the gamut from clean and neat 'dorm room' to more elegant. In Glendalough, I always stay at Carmel's. She is such a dear.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 12:11 AM

In December, I think it's better to stay in cities or towns where there will be pubs, restaurants and shops nearby. An isolated B&B or one in a tiny village will be difficult because daylight is limited and the weather may be unsuitable for walking.
Trains are very good for getting from Dublin to Belfast, Galway, Cork and some other towns. There is a railway line to Killarney. There are now trains linking Galway, Limerick and Cork, but buses are needed for many other journeys.
www.irishrail.ie
There are passes covering trains and/or buses in the Republic and/or Northern Ireland, which may be worthwhile if you're travelling a lot.
Buses are very reliable, but infrequent, so you need to study timetables. Journeys in rural areas are slow but a good way of seeing the countryside. Most services are run by Bus Eireann (www.buseireann.ie).
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 02:49 AM

Stay in Dublin for the pre-Christmas period. A lot of people leave the city over Christmas and it can be a bit dead. The Dublin exodus will also mean that public transport gets booked up very quickly - best to organise this in advance, if you're planning to leave the city pre-Christmas.

Kinsale will be very festive over Christmas - a lovely lively town. Spent New Year's Eve in Gus O'Connor's pub in Doolin, West Clare, once - a terrific night. Book ahead for Christmas Day & St. Stephen's Day. Many hotels close and those that stay open can get booked up really quickly - the same is true for B&B's. Pubs and restaurants don't open on Christmas Day so again, advance planning is needed. A lot of people travel to spend New Year's Eve outside the cities so again, book somewhere as soon as you can.

Do as much advance planning as possible. Remember that daylight is in short supply in December in Ireland so the sightseeing window is small. Also, many tourist sights - such as the Book of Kells in Trinity College - are closed for the Christmas period (Christmas Eve until January 2nd) so you will have to modify your plans accordingly.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 03:33 AM

There will be no public transport on Christmas day. St Stephen's day will be limited. I would also be concerned that B&B's will be closed during the period 24th - 28th December as they are family run and Christmas in Ireland is very much a family occasion.

If you have friends in Clare I would stay in Galway and book into a hotel as soon as possible for the Christmas period. Lots of hotels also close down and those that don't book up very quickly especially for Christmas Dinner. Remember nothing will be open on Christmas day and very limited after 5pm Christmas Eve and St Stephens. Shops and restaurants will have been working flat out up until Christmas Eve and this is their rest period before they start again for New Year. It is also family time and no one has any money left!!

Have you enquired at any B&B's or hotels about availability?

Good luck
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful answers!

I have checked into a few B&Bs in Dublin as well as the Skellington Arms hotel (Galway). I have no idea which part of town is "best". I think that location is key--we'd rather pay a bit extra (but we are still on a budget)to be central because the difference will soon be made up in taxi or bus fare and the time saved could be better spent where we choose to.

My friend's friend is the one who is booking for us--we live on different continents and so I am unsure of what is happening. But I know we have to do this soon--as in yesterday.

****If you have guidance for areas or even specific places to stay in Belfast, Dublin, Galway (this will have to be a hotel bcs over XMAS), please send along. We are looking for central/safe/clean/economial(good value) and we will want a twin room with en suite bathroom.****

Thank you again for your time.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

This is what we have so far:

DUBLIN: I have enquired at the Townhouse as well as the Kingfisher.

KINSALE: we might go to the Blue Haven Hotel as it was the least expensive quote I received and also the most highly reviewed of the options that are open. However, I am still waiting for a response from The Old Bakery. The White House had mixed reviews that scare me--which to believe? The Cloisters looks great, but it is more highly priced so I think we might go for the most economical option that looks good.

BELFAST: I will be staying in a hostel because the big splurge will be

GALWAY: Radisson for Christmas (everything else I have looked into is closed to it is a default--a fancy one at that!)

If you have any feedback based on the above, I welcome it!

Also, we will be 5 nights in Galway during Christmas--suggestions for day activities based on this weather??

Thank you!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Dart is the local train out of Dublin and it has a wonderful web site which shows where the trains are in cartoon form.

Buses around Dublin are good. Thats it I'm afraid.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 02:18 AM

I'd definitely hire a car, public transport can be patchy over Christmas.