Ira, please tell me about Il Deserto

Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Ira, please tell me about Il Deserto

Ira,

I'm almost positive I read that you had visited Il Deserto in Sant' Agata, but I can't find your post. I will have two elderly ladies amongst my travel companions, and I'm trying to figure out if this is within their capabilities. Did you drive to it or take the bus? If the bus, is it doable by reasonably fit ladies in their late seventies, considering the walk after getting off the bus, the number of steps in the belvedere tower, etc.? Do you have to arrange your visit in advance, or can I assume we'll be admitted if we arrive during open hours, and do you know what those hours are in late May?

Thanks for any help you can give me. If my whole premise is wrong because you didn't visit Il Deserto, I apologize, and hope that someone else can answer my questions.
Mar 24th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi Dick,

I'm sorry, but I haven't been there.

All I have is "a monestary above Sant' Agata sui Due Golfi. Quiet, fragrant, no tourists and spectacular views. Unforgettable. Open 3 to 6pm".

IIRC you can only get there by car.

I think that you will get a response of you take your question to www.slowtalk.com.
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ira. Actually, I think you have been there because I think Il Deserto is the monastery you're describing. I'll go over to slowtalk and see if add'l info is available, but did you have to arrange for admittance in advance or did you just show up?
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:04 AM
ira

Hi Dick,

No, I didn't go. I had it on my list of possibilities, but I think a cab would have cost about 60E each way from Praiano.
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM

I know Sant'Agata but haven't been to Il Deserto. Depending on where you are coming from you may be able to take a bus to the area and walk from there. However, for info I suggest you visit www.massalubrense.it and e-mail the webmaster Giovanni Visetti with your questions. He is somewhat of a historian of the area and can probably offer you some advice.
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:26 PM
ira

topping
Mar 31st, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I noticed that walkamalfi appears to be online at the moment, and I was hoping he might have some input on Il Deserto. I tried the massalubrense.it website, but it has been unavailable for several days.
Apr 13th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Same as above
Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:30 AM

Dick - www.massalubrense.it is up and running now if you want to give it another try.