Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Charging rechargeable batteries in Paris and Italy.

Apr 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Paris and Italy (first time) in June and plan to take our new Canon A70 digital camera. What do we need to buy and take to recharge the chargeable batteries? Also, what type of adapter plugs do we need and do we need a converter to protect a battery charger? Do you know a place to buy these inexpensively?
Apr 21st, 2004, 05:38 PM
ira

Hi ginn,

You will need a 110-240 V 'dual voltage' battery charger. You can get them from amazon.com.

You will need a plug adapter for US to France or US to Italy. They are the same thing. You can get them at Radio Shack or online.
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM

If you already have a battery charger it should be fine. Just check and make sure the voltage listed on it is 110 to 240. You will just need the plug adapter not the voltage regulator. Walmart and Kmart have them but usually in a kit with the voltage regulator too. If you just want one single plug adapter you can buy that at radio shack for about $4 or at luggage/book stores for about $8.
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:56 AM
Singletail

Kybourbon gives good advice...if you already have a battery charger for the camera just check the lable to ensure that it will accept up to 240V...it probably will since these chargers are made for use around the world wherever those cameras are used...same thing with power cords for laptops but getting people here to understand that has been a monumental problem...
the adaptor you'll need is also known as a "continental plug" as it has two round pins...or you can get the grounded three-pin model but I'd stick with the regular one. Get it at Radio Shack if you can.

Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM

I think nowadays, almost everything is dual voltage (it will say it on the charger). You just need the adaptor. I was just in SPain and London with my digital, no problem recharging it.