Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ira and other Paris Frequents, help please :)

Notices

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using this board for awhile and it seems like there are plenty of seasoned Paris travellers here. My mother and I are going to Paris this week and arrive Friday morning at 7:30 a.m. What is the best way for us to get from CDG to our hotel in the 7th arr? I almost reserved a shuttle for 22 Euro per person for the trip there and 19 Euro pp for the trip back, but I'm not sure what a taxi costs. I don't really want to put my mother through the public transportation with her luggage. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:09 AM

a cab will be about 50 euros...could be more, could be less. you may hit the end of rush hour traffic. Another option is the air france bus. I think it is about 12 euro pp; you will be tired and jet lagged. As a first time visitor forget the shuttle and take a cab.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:19 AM

I prefer to take a taxi from CDG to the hotel because it requires no effort other than walking outside the terminal and standing in a brief line. Some shuttles require you to call them when you arrive, which interposes an unnecessary step. If there are two or more people traveling, the cost difference is minimal.

On the way back to the airport, however, I usually call a shuttle. You have to call for either a taxi or a shuttle, so you might as well get the shuttle, which is less expensive. Some people object to the fact that some shuttles are shared, so you might have to stop and pick up other passengers, but this doesn't bother me because they plan enough time to get to the airport.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:22 AM

We used the Air France shuttle to Montparnasse, then a cab to our hotel. Had no trouble finding the bus stop at CDG. We had to negotiate some steps with the luggage. If your mom would have trouble with that, then take a cab.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:43 AM

Hi awewatba,

I don't know the jaunt so well. I think I have taken the train but as a student, long time ago. Will tell you there are the same type of options in London and I took my mother a few years back. Stupid, I went on the shuttle when we arrived, it was not a complete nightmare but it was exhausting after that night flight. It was a small van but stopping at other hotels did have a public transportation feel to it. Also did not like putting my mother through that at 75!

Thought I heard someone on here say its 45 minutes from central Paris to the airport. You do sort of add on to that by using a shuttle with all of the stopping. Just a thought.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
ira

Hi ae,

www.parishuttle.com and www.beeshuttle.com charge about 18E pp.

A cab is about 50-55.

You decide if the extra money is worth it.

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:14 AM

I usually take a cab....50-55 euros...as stated above....PLUS tip!
Nikki's plan sounds great...cab in...shuttle out. The only disadvantage of the shuttle is the extra-time for additional pick-ups along the way!
Have a fabulous time!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM

We just got back from Paris last week -- we took a cab both ways to/from CDG. Both times (for 3 and 4 people) it was less than $50 -- in the neighborhood of $40-45 Euro. We also stayed in the 7th.

I was traveling with my Mom & Aunt and both have trouble with mobility so it was the way to go for us. My in-laws insisted on taking a shuttle, so they to leave the hotel a lot earlier and paid $38 Euros for the two of them. I say for the extra few bucks, it's worth it to take the cab. PLUS, you just walk out of the airport and there they are, just waiting for you.

I wrote down the address and showed it to the cab driver with a "please" and a "thank you" and we were off. I gave extra copies of the hotel address to my Mom and Aunt, who used cabs occasionally during our stay as well, and that gave them some freedom so they could just give it to them (along with the name of the cross street to the cab driver knew where to go) and that helped a lot.

Happy travels.

Jules
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:01 AM

My Mum Sidter an I were in Paris last week and stayed on the 7th. We decided to take a taxi aand it was very very easy. Cost 48E and we were dropped at the door.

We took the RER on the return journey and I must say it was very efficient and quicker than the taxi cost 10E each.
If I were doing it again I would certainly opt for the taxi in.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM

Taxi.
My husband vaguely remembers the price from CDG to the apt in the 7th being around 60E.
It is SO worth it !
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM

It's just my personal choice to take a taxi from and to CDG. If I were taking a shuttle I'd prefer to do so from CDG and take a taxi back to CDG. Sometimes the shuttle can have a delay or forget to pick you up. If you took a taxi to the airport you'd be sure to be there to catch your flight on time.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help!! I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM

A cab will stop outside your hotel. Depending which shuttle you take, it may not. Simplyfy and take a cab. In a few months you will not miss or remember the amount you payed. But you will remember "how easy it was to get there". Enjoy your stay
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Just a mention... I took the inexpensive (less then 12E's in 2003) AirFrance bus to the first stop, (Galleries Lafayette?) THEN I grabbed a cab for about 6E's...to where I was staying. I never had to lift a bag.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:03 AM

Our family loves public transportation, but we have recently decided that a taxi from the airport is a great splurge after a long flight. In April, our taxi from the airport to the 7th was Euro 50 including tip. Although the driver did not speak English, he pointed out several buildings and monuments to us as we drove thru the city. He dropped us right at our apartment door and helped with the bags. What a nice way to start a vacation.