Ira and Florence

Sep 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Ira and Florence

Hi Ira and like thinkers...We are booked in the Peterson B&B from the 23rd of Oct until the 31st. I understand that that is a long time, so, as is my wont, I am soliciting advice from those best equipped to offer it.
How best to profitably utilize those days to gain pleasure, insight and enlightenment....
We are not upscale foodies...we do enjoy art,eclectically, and the observation of other cultures..... tabula rasa...up for virtually anything...
Thank you,
Dupher
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Maybe if I start it in the morning....
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Help us a little . . . when you booked this many days in one place, you must have had some idea of what you wanted to do in Florence. Can you share a short list of your choices?

In the menatime, I suspect since you will be staying at the B&B, you will be bringing in food. I encourage you to explore the many food market options you will find--the local corner shops, fine food specialty shops, the Mercato Centrale, and even modern supermarkets. You can learn a lot about a culture by visiting their food markets, seeing how food is handled, seeing what food and products are prevalent.
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that...good idea...the number of days were partially driven by logistics, cumbersome to explain...planned on the usual...Uffizi, Accademia, etc.....hoped to use Florence as a base for day trips to?...Sienna, Lucca, and where the knowledgeable people suggested
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:51 AM

I am assuming you won't have a car. Some daytrips from Florence are Lucca, Pisa, Bologna, Siena and San Gimignano. (The latter 2 by bus rather than train.) And do make the trip up to Fiesole. I'm sure Ira will chime in about that.
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:56 AM
ira

Hi D,

We stayed there for 11 nights and weren't bored.

Have you read my trip report? http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Note: Il Ritrovo is no longer on the recommended resto list.

Sep 7th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ira and friends....I read your trip report Ira and will carry the Florence info with me...don't know how other infrequent travellers, such as me, manage without Fodorites...
Dupher
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Take the 12 or 13 bus (I think they travel the same circular route, just in opposite directions) to Piazzale Michelangelo for another view across Florence but also a snse of the green hills. Do visit the architecturally-important church of San MIniato al Monte nearby. Attached to the church is an extensive cemtery you might enjoy visiting--be sure to visit the section around the siade and back fo the church.

If your budget allows, book a day in the countryside with Luca Garappa of hillsandroads.com.
Sep 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Forgot to mention--you can return to the center on the bus from Piazzale Michelangelo, but, better yet, walk down the hill and wander in the Oltrarno.