Ios vs. Sifnos in mid-September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on spending 12 days on the Greek islands in the middle of September, beginning on September 13, and want opinions as to which island - Ios or Sifnos - is best for a 5 day stay before we finish our holiday with a week in Milos at Tania Milos (chosen because it looks lovely and allows a flight back to Athens on the morning that we return to Canada).

We are in our early 60's, have been to Mykonos, Santorini and Naxos, and want something a bit less touristy (I understand that Ios in mid-September is less of a party town than in the middle of the summer).

We will be spending a few days before the islands visiting Athens, Delphi, Meteora and Olympia, and will be looking for something relaxing, with a nice beach and nearby taverns.

If we choose Ios, we plan to stay at Island House Hotel, and if we choose Ios, we plan to stay at Niriedes Hotel.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I meant to say that if we choose Sifnos, we will be staying at the Niriedes Hotel.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Topping.

Anyone?

Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

One last try for a response.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 04:15 AM

Was in Sifnos about 20 years ago for about 10 days. At that point was a very quiet island. Understand from friends whom travel there every summer that development has progressed significantly. We enjoyed our very relaxing time there. Never been to Ios so cannot offer a comparison.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Huggy.

Anybody else?

Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

One last try - any other comments?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 07:08 AM

I have stayed on Sifnos(Kamares) and Ios quite a few times, for over 30 years.

On Ios, The Island House hotel is rather too close to Far Out Enterprises on Mylopotas beach, an entertainment complex for noisy young ones. Mid September is mid season so still busy. It is also just as touristy as those you have already visited. O.K. I'm around your age and I'm happy to stay on Ios as I know where not to take a room and can work the island to an advantage, but it certainly won't suit everyone.

As I stay in Kamares on Sifnos and go to other beaches/bays, I can't really help on the Plati Yialos area where the Niriedes is. It is a considerably less touristy island than the central Cyclades islands that you have already been to.
If I'm on Milos I would simply take the ferry Milos > Sifnos > Serifos > Piraeus.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Retsina - where do you stay in Kamares?

Is Serifos an additional consideration you would recommend, and if so, what location and hotel/B&B??

I appreciate your comments concerning Ios, and although, based on your response, I feel that it may well not be what we are looking for, another hotel highly recommended to me is Seabreeze, which is not located on Mylopotas Beach. Do you have any knowledge concerning it?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 12:15 PM

Hi again,
Kamares, Serifos(Livadi). In both cases I find a 'room for rent' on arrival. Literally just walk around and look for 'rooms for rent' signs, then if I like the room negotiate a price per night. Most don't have a name/website. I would have to walk you there myself to find the place again.

On Ios the Sea Breeze is one of the new hotels on the left of Ios Port(Gialos) coming in by ferry on the road to Koumbara beach, there is a good taverna just before that beach, and more in the port. It should be quiet in that position 15 min walk from the port. Again I have only used 'rooms for rent' in the Port area.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM

Ios is traditionally a party island, so it will be pretty much dead by mid September as the Universities reopen and the students return to their cities. Sifnos is a really beautiful place and is still going in September. I would choose Sifnos.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 05:26 PM

Very few tourists visiting Ios are 'real students' that's a myth.
It will still be busy mid Sept.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice.

Any last views?

Nevertooold