Ionian Islands

Old Dec 25th, 2020, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ionian Islands

Iíve been to Greece many times, always to the Dodecanese. I usually look further south wanting warmer waters : Karpathos, symi etc. itís mostly been ok, but Iíve encountered some wind I did not like. I always go to lesser traveled islands. The Ionians lie farther north but the more i research Greek sea temps the more i realize it is dependent on the presence of sheltering mountains, depth of water and currents from the north. Iím considering Ithaca for this reason. Iíd like to go to kythira as it seems wilder and less touristic. But it looks comparatively barren and I fear high winds as it is so exposed on three sides. Are there any southerly islands that offer the delicious looking, calm sheltered coves of the northern Ionians? Iíd love to hear from someone who has been to Ithaca. It looks absolutely gorgeous.
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 12:30 AM

Why not try the mainland for a change? The southern Peloponnese coastline of Messinia and Laconia has glorious beaches, and there is less wind than on the islands.
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 01:22 AM

It may be rather difficult to find places in the Greek Islands which are less windy than the Northern part of the East coast of Rhodos (Tsambika, Stegna, Kokkino Ammos, Agathi, Haraki) or the coves of Karpathos like Kyra Panagia.
May be you check
Loutra or Paleochora in Southern Crete
Gavdos Island
Kapsali and Asklipios in Kythira
Simos Beach at Elafonissos Lakonia Island (to reach by ferry from Pounda/Neapolis)
the South-Western beaches of Skiathos Island.
Chalkidiki and Samos Island have nice calm beaches too, but the seawater there is definitely colder.
In the Central Ionion Islands, Meganissi (ferry from Lefkas) may be calmer than Ithaka
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

yes! I was actually thinking of driving to Mani from Athens. Which area has the most sheltered beaches without wind? Or are the other peninsulas better. I want to find THE perfect cove and just park myself there. Alipa looks lovely and is where the Tempest was filmed!

Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Why not try the mainland for a change? The southern Peloponnese coastline of Messinia and Laconia has glorious beaches, and there is less wind than on the islands.
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 12:56 AM

I havenít been to Elafonisos (mentioned in post #3 and not to be confused by the one in Crete) but that is said to be stunning, and would work well with a drive to the Mani. My experience has been in Messenia, which is easy to reach from Athens via the motorway to Kalamata. The peninsula with the seaside villages of Pilos, Methoni, and Koroni is picturesque with many fine sandy beaches. Wind wasnít a problem at all when I was there.

Frankly Iíve always gone to the islands myself, mostly the Cyclades which are often windy. When invited by a friend to visit her village near Kalamata I was amazed at the beautiful sandy beaches in the area. Voidokilia Beach often gets a mention as one of the best.

Last edited by Heimdall; Dec 27th, 2020 at 01:20 AM.