Introduction and heading to the UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Just found this forum and it looks like there are plenty of friendly and helpful folks.. Dave's the name, along with my wife I'll be heading to the UK for a working holiday. We're kiwi's in our late 40's and have been working in Aus for the last year or so. We've woken up to the fact that there's a big world out there to see before we get too old! So please bare with me as we've just started planning this trip and I know I'll have many questions to ask.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Dave
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM

"So please bare with me"

Steady on, I like to know someone a bit longer than I've known you before I start stripping off!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum.

Obvious questions first , and please don't take this as an attack: "Working Holiday"? You have something lined up? You are carrying on employment with your current company in the UK for a while? You hold passports that allow you to work legitimately?

I am assuming you already have the legal side of this sorted, because I am always amazed at the number of non Europeans (and I include members of my own extended family in this) who arrive at Heathrow and are shocked to learn that they cannot just expect to walk in and look for a job.

Secondly, how long are you going to be here for, where do you plan to stay, what parts of the UK do you want to see, where do you interests lie??

My wife currently works with a young Australian researcher whose husband has a very well paying job and they have loved their 18 months here. Having spent a summer exploring the UK, they now spend every other weekend taking short breaks in Europe using a variety of budget airlines.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:41 AM

Willit - New Zealanders working in the UK follow a very well-trodden path. You never know, but I would be surprised if Dave doesn't know the basics of how it works, have friends and family who have been or are already there etc. etc. There is an actual "Working Holiday Visa" for NZers, Australians and I imagine Canadians etc. but I think that's only available for people a bit younger than Dave. Many people in NZ also qualify for a "Grandparent Visa" - as the name suggests, if you have grandparent(s) from the UK, you qualify for a working visa for, I believe, 4 years. Like me, Dave may also have a British passport courtesy of his parents.

Of course, actually finding a job in this economy might be a different proposition.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recently the UK changed the "Highly skilled immigrant" rules regarding work permits, so things that have been fine in the past may no longer be so. I deliberately used the words "Don't take this as an attack" because it wasn't.

As a Kiwi working in Australia, I am sure Dave is well used to the formalities of working in other countries, but as "Working Holiday" was brought up, it would seem remiss of me not to have at least commented on possible issues.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the feed back. Now I'll give a little more info, didn't want to bore you with my life story first up! Yes I'll be traveling on a GrandParent visa. Still to apply, as I mentioned we're only in the early stages of plannning. Basically we just want to experience the culture, go site seeing and use England as a base for further travels. As for finding work we'll have to play it by ear. I'm a panelbeater by trade but have spent the last 6 years as a maintenace fitter and maintenace planner. If you can go by the job sites there are plenty of these positions advertised. Not that means a job.... Length of stay... who knows, one month - two years. We have no real plans on this one, see how we like it.

Thanks Dave
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM

Willit - apparently I ought to have prefaced my remarks with 'this is not an attack' as well. I don't doubt the capacity of people for cluelessness, but the 'Overseas Experience (OE)' is such a huge part of Kiwi and Aussie culture that I would be *amazed* to hear of someone from that part of the world making it all the way to the UK without even a notion that they would need a work visa

Anyway, glad to hear you have that sorted Dave!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:37 AM

Make sure you spend some time on our lovely coast while you're here. See here for some ideas: http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.com/