UK Visa after Brexit

Search

UK Visa after Brexit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Visa after Brexit

I guess UK is still officially an EU country and honors Schengen Visa policy, but will that change anytime soon?
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Delete the OP it's a pointless discussion.

Too many vague positions and unsubstantiated opinions.

In short, nobody knows.

We haven't even involved article 50 to leave the EU.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we haven't even triggered Article 50 yet and after that, the negotiation may take 2 years or longer by agreement between the EU and the UK so you don't even have to guess - the UK is still part of the EU.

You will get plenty of notice, so i shouldn't panic yet.

if, OTOH you were already living in the UK and wanted to regularise your position before we leave, then panic would be the appropriate reaction.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 01:47 PM

So are you just trying to start a discussion topic or do you have an actual purpose for this post? You're from Chicago, which implies you're an American. Therefore you don't need a visa to go to the UK.

The UK is outside the Schengen zone NOW and that will be true when Brexit is complete. THEREFORE IF YOU ARE ASSUMING SCHENGEN POLICIES APPLY TO THE UK YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD WRONG and need to further your research.

If you have an actual question about what rights and privileges you have to travel to and within the UK, check the Foreign Office website or whichever agency is relevant (the US State Dept has information too).
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Sorry should be invoked article 50, auto correct at it again.

Hi Ann, how are you?

I've been in the real world for 6 months.

Scary place!
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 02:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What on earth does shengen visa problems policy have to do with the UK?
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 02:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, thank you Dickie - nice to see you again. The real world is indeed scary at the moment, and things aren't much better here!

We had german visitors asking us last year even before the referendum if they were going to be affected which is why I was not in the least bit surprised by this enquiry.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 02:33 PM

Yes, pointless discussion, as nobody knows anything about the outcome of Brexit negotiations. Even Theresa May has any idea. She may have hopes, but it's just that.
Immigration will be one of the topics discussed. While British government has said they aren't going to give a running commentary, once the negotiation gets under way, enough will be known (leaked) for journalists to proffer their opinions.

One thing we do know is that since immigration of third-country nationals (those who are not their own citizens or EEA nationals) like US citizens will continue to be a matter for UK to decide, it should be largely unaffected by Brexit. So I'd assume that US citizens will continue to be allowed to visit for up to 6 months, with employment prohibited. What will be different is if US citizen happens to be a family member (such as spouse, partner etc) of EEA national. Currently they get preferential treatment about entry and employment, but this is expected to change post-Brexit. But again details aren't known.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, excuse my ignorance. I thought UK is in the Schengen area, and I, as an American, can stay up to 90 days in every 6 month period without visa. I will be in Spain and Greece for three months this summer so I was hoping I go to UK without six month restrictions. I guess I will have to wait before entering UK.

Sorry if I am still confused with Schengen Area and EU.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 03:42 PM

As UK isn't in Schengen, you can stay in UK independently of Schengen for 6 months.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 04:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to read up a bit. Why would you have to wait???
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 11:43 PM

Are there are visas for the clueless?
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 12:34 AM

It's not clueless to ask.

Whatever happens in the Brexit negotiations has no bearing on UK immigration policies and practices in relation to countries not in the EU/EEA.

These always were, still are, and as far as we know will continue to be entirely a matter for the UK alone; I don't think anyone's proposed changing the rules for US citizens, and even if they did Parliament is going to be busy on a lot of other things for the next few years.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 12:59 AM

As a US passport holder you can stay in Schengen (including Spain and Greece) for a total of 90 days in 180, then go to the UK and stay for up to another 6 months. The UK is currently a member of the EU, but has never been in Schengen.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you @Heimdall. You answered my question clearly
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 01:26 PM

...can stay up to 90 days in every 6 month period without visa. I will be in Spain and Greece for three months this summer so I was hoping I go to UK without six month restrictions.....

That is not quite accurate - close but off a couple of days. In the Schengen zone you are allow a total of 90 days out of any 180 day period (NOT six months. The 180 days is not a fixed period. It is a look back situation. When you look back 180 days, have you been in the Schengen zone for 90 days. If so you are done. And a week from now when you look back it is a different 180 days.

Great Britain is not and never has been a part of the Schengen zone agreement. In GB you are good for six months.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are "good for six months" if and only if the immigration official at your port of entry decides both to admit you, and to admit you for six months. Both are likely, but neither are guaranteed. (As we have seen in occasional threads from people NOT admitted.)