Reload this Page >

Into Czech without a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Joseph

I planned a trip (family of 4) for this July<BR>from Milan-Venice-Vienna-Prague-Salzburg-Milan (reason is that we stop in Milan on <BR>an intercontinental flight).<BR>As per Avis, if we rent a car at Milan we cannot drive into Czech. It seems that we'll<BR>have to give up Prague, or stop somewhere<BR>in Austria where we can take day trips into<BR>Czech...Any ideas?<BR>Thanks, Joseph<BR><BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:45 AM
John

Hi Joseph,<BR><BR>You may want to inquire of your rental company if you can temporarily park your rental car at a sister rental lot (in perhaps Salzburg/Munich) while you train to Prague for ? day(s).<BR><BR>My wife and I had the same issue last year, and resolved it that way (we parked the car in Munich and trained to Praque).

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Doug

Hey Joseph,<BR>We are renting from Hertz this summer and going into Czech from Germany. They said we could only take a Volvo or Ford. They were very helpful about making the arrangements. I hope it works. Let me know how your plans work out.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Mary Ann

We rented a car in Germany in 1999, went into Prague, Budapest, etc. returned it in Paris. I know they have to be properly stickered to get into Prague, as long as the papers are in order, there was no problem. The problem may be your rental car company, we went through DER, who may have changed their name I am not sure. But check around before you start revising plans.<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Art

We rented a car (a Opal minivan) last Sept in Berlin, drove through Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Austria and returned it in Frankfurt Germany. We rented through Auto Europe and had no problems<BR><BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:27 PM
David

Italy seems to be more restrictive on travel to "eastern" Europe. Just as the last reply said check Auto Europe, worked for me.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Joseph

Thank you all for your replies.<BR>At this time, I am considering parking<BR>the car somewhere in Linz and leave some<BR>luggage, and take the train to Prague<BR>and back.<BR><BR>Joseph

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Joseph

FEEDBACK:<BR>We came back two weeks ago from the trip, just before the floods started...<BR>We drove from Vienna to Gmund, Lower<BR>Austria, parked near the station and <BR>took a (empty) train to Prague. The train was czech and quite inexpensive.<BR>At some point it's joined to the train<BR>coming from Ceske Budejovice. After 3.5<BR>hours we arrived in Prague.<BR>Did the same thing in reverse to get<BR>back to Gmund...Train was more crowded.<BR>It was a nice experience.<BR>Also, we had to drive all through Lower<BR>Austria, which is not touristy.<BR>Especially Gmund and Freistadt are <BR>rather charming and have good food.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:39 PM
btdt

We stayed at the Senator Hotel in Dresden for two nights prior to going to Prague by train. The hotel agreed to keep the car there and allowed us to check some luggage with the bellman. <BR><BR>On our return to Dresden, we took a taxi to the hotel, picked up our bags and our car, and sailed on.<BR><BR>You're bound to be staying in a hotel in Austria before leaving for Prague. Wouldn't the same concept work for you?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Art

Joseph, glad it worked out for you. Will we see a trip report?<BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Joseph

Trip Report - just mentioning things that may not be<BR>obvious or ommitted in guide books.<BR><BR><BR>Autostrada from Milano to east of Venice is very busy.<BR><BR>Venice: Stayed in Padova...Route S11 via Mira/Dolo is<BR>scenic alternative to autostrada to Venice...<BR>Ferry from Fusine is very convenient and easy parking.<BR><BR>Expressway from Venice to Vienna is very scenic.<BR><BR>Vienna: Stayed in an appartment 4 nights - great for a family.<BR>Schonbrun Palace: outdoor is very beautiful, indoor - not so.<BR>Overall - easy driving, good public transport, very relaxing<BR>and pleasant for a city of this size.<BR><BR>Drive from Vienna thru Lower Austria to Czech border, train<BR>to Prague, and drive thru lower Austria to Linz - all very<BR>nice and not touristy.<BR><BR>Prague: Also stayed in an appartment hotel - recommended.<BR>very good public transport. Prague Castle - very nice.<BR>Overall pleasant and lively city but not too busy.<BR>Recommend Air Museum at Kbely.<BR><BR>Salzburg: Castle not as nice as Prague, but astounding view. Adjacent<BR>Villages/suburbs to west/southwest are very nice. <BR><BR>Hallstat: Really very nice.<BR><BR>Also drove into Germany to see lakes in Berchtesgaden area.<BR>Very scenic mountain and lake views. Personally prefer<BR>Austrian lakes.<BR><BR>Drive Salzburg - Milan: not bad. Southern side of Alps prone to<BR>hazy conditions in summer (based on 2-3 trips).<BR><BR>We found people and service to be friendly everywhere...Food is good in<BR>all visited countries, best in Austrian countryside.<BR>Quality lower and prices higher in the more touristy spots.<BR>Some rest areas on major highways have very good restaurants.<BR><BR>Drove Avis Opel Zafira - very good space wagon (small minivan).<BR><BR>