Search

internet cafes in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
internet cafes in Paris?

Hello, new here.

Anyway, I'm leaving for Paris tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew of internet cafes around the 15 and 7 arrondisements. Specifically, my hotel is on the Quai de Grenelle.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM

I too will be in Paris shortly and think I remember someone telling about a website called internetcafe.com I haven't looked at it, but perhaps it's real and will tell you where you can find one. I am sure though many hotels can help you with that as well.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:49 PM
P_M

Many hotels these days offer internet service, although it might be less expensive to use an internet cafe. Those are everywhere, I'm sure the hotel can direct you to the nearest one. Bon voyage!!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:49 AM

I've mostly seen Internet cafés in the Latin Quarter, probably due to the student population, but small ones exist in many areas of the city. They are slowly disappearing, though, as the French (finally) start to buy their own PCs, twenty years too late, and as wireless access from laptops and other devices gains in popularity over sitting at a desktop PC in an Internet café. Lately I've seen several cafés close, but I haven't seen any new ones open in several years.

Good hotels may offer Internet access, as previously mentioned, especially if they see themselves as catering to "business" customers. Sometimes it's Internet café style, but wireless is gaining ground. Sometimes the access consists of a single aging PC in a corner with a dial-up line, although fortunately it's not usually that bad.

These days, your best bet, if you have a laptop, is to equip it for Wi-Fi and visit the many hotspots around town. Barring that, you can still find a few cafés. I'd look in the less fashionable parts of town for them as they draw their customers mainly from populations that can't afford their own PCs, and those populations are shrinking these days (student areas work well, too, since students are often too broke to have computers at home).
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:46 AM

There are a whole lot of touristy type restaurants (most of them are adequate but watch out for the prices of drinks); some call this area a tourist trap but anyway along a street called Rue de la Harpe which runs parallel to Blvd. St. Michel, at the end of the street, there is a very good internet cafe charging €3/hour with all sorts of eals for all day access etc. What is nice about this place is that on their computers at the bottom right near the time, there is a key that will lead to a pull down menu which enables you to set the key board for an American key board (the French key board has several keys such as A and Q and M in the wrong positions)...

A block or two from St. Michel Metro on the #4 line...you can combine a quick lunch (try la petite Hostelerie which is also listed in one of the frommer books I think). Again don't expect gourmet but the food is okay; unfortunately they charge prices like €3,25 for a small and I mean small beer and upwards of €6 for house red wine...
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I think I've been to the internet cafe that xyz mentions. It's at 53 rue de la Harpe and it's called XS Arena. It's a very clean place, spacious, and the staff is very helpful and friendly.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:17 AM

There is an internet cafe on Rue Exposition in the 7th between Grenelle and St Dominique.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:50 AM

The tourist office of Fat Bike Tours offers internet services...

http://www.fattirebiketoursparis.com...t-office.shtml

Internet access (DSL and cheap!) and English keyboards
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:07 AM

the cheapest Internet Cafes in Europe probably are the EasyInternetCafes (not sure of exact title) but they have been set up by the owner of EasyJet and similarly provide cheap service - i paid about 3 euros an hour last year i believe. Not sure of Paris locations but believe there are several. Otherwise i found hotel internet service was pricey - Ibis charged about 5 euros for 15 minutes i think.