Reload this Page >

International Drivers License

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Zepcat

I will be renting a car for four days in Italy in a couple of weeks. Is it necessary/advisable for me to get an international drivers' license?

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Lee

Zepcat: Assuming that you have a valid US driver's license, you will not need an international license. I had one when I moved to Germany in 1983 and was never asked for it. I presented my Pennsylvania license, took my test and received my German license. I was not in the military at this time. <BR> <BR>I came back to the US in 1986 and have since returned several times to Europe on vacation without an international license. Never had one, I would think I never will.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Vivian

I went to Italy last year and was told that you do need an international driver's license. I may be wrong, but it took about 5-7 minutes to get it at the triple A office and it cost me 10 bucks. It was no big deal.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Mary Ann

Before we went last year we were told that you only needed one if you were stopped in Italy. Many Italian police do not speak English, it seemed that this was not a problem in Germany, France etc. We decided for the price it was worth getting although of our 3 weeks, only 4 days were in Italy. <BR>There was one other side benefit. Some locations, castles, museums, etc. require you to leave identification with them when you use there audio cassettes. We felt more comfortable leaving the International license than say our passport or US drivers license.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Paule

As I understand it, Italy's law asks for a translation of the American license, and the international drivers' license is one way to fulfill this requirement. However, travel agencies NEVER ask for an international license of any kind; all they want to see is the regular drivers' license. You may never need to show the I.D.L-- but should you need it, and don't have it, then you risk a fine, at the very least. So, for the slight inconvenience of getting it, it seems well worth it's cost in knowing that you've got the paperwork -- just in case.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 02:29 AM
Maira

I have posted many times regarding the International Driver License (IDL) and do not mind posting again. We were stopped by police in Southern Spain (enroute to Seville; routine check). The local policeman did not speak English. He asked for the license, we handed the IDL which translates your US driver license info to about 5 other languages, including Spanish. He let us continue with no questions and no problem. We had a conversation with a police officer in Italy who told us that if they see the need to take your driver license away (very common in some parts of Italy) you could relinquish your IDL instead. My husband went the wrong way for about 50 meters on a street in Paris. When a policeman stopped him and asked him for the driver license, he handed the IDL. The policeman gave us an understanding look, smiled, said something in French and let us go. <BR> <BR>Well worth the $10.00 so far....