International Driver's License

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me if an International Driver's License is necessary in order to rent a car in Italy, and if so, how do you get one? I appreciate any input!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM

An International Driver's Permit is not required to rent a car in Italy, but if you get stopped, it will be required.

You can get one at an AAA office for about $10.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:55 AM
ira

Hi I,

You can get your IDP at almost any AAA office, or you can mail in a form.

See www.aaa.com

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:10 AM

"An International Driver's Permit is not required to rent a car in Italy"

Reports on flyertalk suggest that an IDP is needed to rent a car
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM

That is always a problem, isn't it????knowing what to believe, who to trust, etc. BUT I honestly think that when people post things here they usually do so out of personal experience.

An IDP vs a license is, as has been stated above, easy to obtain. If anyone had any doubt they could easily just go and get one.

Of course, rules can, and do, change
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:59 AM

I do believe that it is now required to have an IDP to drive in Italy. You may not need it to rent the car, but you will need it if you get pulled over. In my opinion its worth the $10 for the piece of mind.

If you do a search on this board you will find tons of posts on this subject, including one that was just posted a few days ago.

Tracy
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Reports on flyertalk suggest that an IDP is needed to rent a car</i>&quot;

Most rental agencies don't ask and won't care one way or the other. Lots of folks post here after going to Italy and say &quot;we didn't need to get an IDP - they didn't even ask to see it&quot;. So you don't actually need one to <u>rent</u>, but you do need one to <u>drive</u> in case you are stopped for anything. So, yes you do need one.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
was posting at the same time as tcreath . . .
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:26 AM

How about some of the other countries, e.g., France, Germany - is it required there to drive?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM

All I can add is that you do not need one to rent a car in Italy. The woman at the Avis desk in Florence laughed at us when we showed ours to her in January. She said she thought it was a scam by the AAA to get Americans to buy these things. Having said that, for $10 you might as well have it on the slim chance that you get stopped and that the cop actually asks to see it. I wonder if there is anyone who has had that experience.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:28 AM

As I posted on another thread on this topic yesterday - &quot;...exactly where you need a permit depends on whom you talk to. People who sell them say you should have them almost everywhere. People who rent cars say you need them almost nowhere. People who drive rental cars say the permit is overrated. Police can get mad — their concern is in finding the expiration date — and fine you if you don’t have an international permit. Those driving in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany, Greece, and Eastern Europe are likely to be fined if found without an international driving permit, and should probably get one.&quot;
www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/carrental_2005.htm

There certainly seems to be a consensus that you don't need an IDP to rent a car. Whether you need one should you be stopped by an Italian cop, on the other hand...?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM

I am not disputing Rick Steves or anyone who says that you need one in case you get stopped. But I wonder exactly where this is spelled out..is it posted on an official web site? Just curious.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM

eks--yes, for most countries you can find info on the need (or no need) for the IDP at either their embassy website or the national tourist board/bureau website.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Rufus is correct. When researching our need for an IDP in Italy earlier this year I came across this statement from the Italian Tourism website:

Driving License Regulations
Italy recognises driving licenses and other traffic documents that are valid in other countries. U.S. and Canadian driving licenses are valid in Italy but the license must be accompanied by a translation or an international license (check your local AAA in USA or CAA in Canada). For motorists not in possession of an International Driving license, the ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia) will issue a declaration upon presentation of a U.S. or a Canadian license. The declaration is obtainable at any ACI offices. Seat belts are compulsory in Italy.

http://www.italiantourism.com/transp.html

flsd, the only other country that I know requires an IDP is Austria. http://tinyurl.com/hp6v9

Tracy
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:42 PM

From personal experience, it is safer to have one in Italy. We've rented cars numerous times all over Italy and never actually needed the IDP. Then on one trip in Calabria, there were routine car stops set up by the local police. They spoke no English. We were getting no where with them until I pulled out the IDP. Once they read that, we were on our way in no time. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're no fluent in the local dialect.