International Driver's License?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is an international driver's license required when driving in Ireland?
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 01:40 PM

According to AAA Europe Travel book, recommended but not required.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 01:45 PM

It is absolutely not required. My understanding is the thing that AAA sells provides translations into different languages of your license. They are a very good thing to have in Spain and Italy (or so I am told) but totally unnecessary in Ireland.

It's good to have a gold or platinum Mastercard to save on auto insurance though. You can't use a Visa for that.

Bill
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about Ireland, but when I had an accident in Slovakia, I showed them my US license, and they jabbered in Slovak. Then I showed them the International license ($10), they smiled, wrote something, fined the other driver the maximum, and gave me the accident report. Yes, the Platinum Visa paid the cost of the damages, and the Int'l license was worth every penny, just for the peace of mind.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 08:02 PM

no
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 04:31 AM

An International Driver's License is advised for many countries and required in some -- but definitely not needed/useful in Ireland or the UK.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Maira

For what is worth, an IDL is more than your driver's license translated info. We were told by an Italian policeman that in the event they see the need to take your license away, they'll take the IDL instead, if you have one. I rather deal with the loss of an IDL than with DMV upon return home...

For the recod, I have posted (repeteadly!) on the ocassions we have used it while driving in Europe; add one more..... this last Nov trip, we were stopped during a routine check for Drunk Driving while driving around Amsterdam. My husband showed the IDL instead and it was accepted by the Policeman with no problems or further questions.

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:30 PM

It's an IDP, not an IDL--it's not a license. And it is a translation of your regular driving license into several languages on the official, agreed to international form. You don't need it in a country that uses the same language as that of your original license.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Maira, you may be right. I was told the same thing about the police taking away the International Driver's LICENSE, but then was told they won't take away your International Driver's PERMIT, which as Rufus says isn't a license, but only a translation of your license. It is worth nothing on its own and clearly states so on it. To be valid it must be accompanied by your home driver's license, so it is unlikely the police would take away that translation of your license without taking away the license too. The one time we were stopped at a road block and asked for license, we produced the IDP and the policeman asked for the actual license as well. We were let go, but if we hadn't been, I can't imagine him handing back the actual license and keeping the IDP.

I guess there is such a thing as an International Driver's License, but what most people are usually talking about is the permit, not the license. That's the thing you can usually get at AAA with a picture attached and translates your license. I agree it is pointless to have one in an English speaking country.