International Driver's License

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know if I will need to register for one to drive in England? I saw it somwehre that I do, but my brother-in-law says probably not.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Nevermind. Before everyone stones me for not a doing a search, I just did. Sorry. I now know that I do not need one. Thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:42 PM

Just for your information for the future, an international drivers license is only a translation of your drivers license. It isn't a license to drive. If your drivers license is from and English speaking country and you go to an English speaking country you don't need one.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:52 PM

Becareful getting a International Drivers License, they are rip-offs. Go online to AAA and get a International Drivers Permit (IDP) for $10. Got mine last week.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:09 AM
Jed

What is an "International Drivers Permit?"
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:16 AM

Luv2Travel,<BR> I got one before I traveled to Europe and it was not requiered the two places where I thought it would be needed. I thought that it was necessary to rent a car, but was told that it was not. I thought that the customs guard at the Swiss border would want it, but he did not either. I enjoyed my trip to the AAA office to pick it up though. Lot's of cool travel gear, etc. Tim
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:52 AM

Heads up in Greece.<BR><BR>Last year Auto Europe would not rent any automobiles in Greece without an International Drivers License/Permit out of the Athens airport.<BR><BR>I had to show my license along with my rental confirmation. Without the license I was told I would not get the auto.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Chatmandu:<BR>I second the request from Jed. What is this permit you speak of?? And how does it differ at all?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 03:12 PM

There is no such thing as an international drivers license. It is an international driving permit.<BR><BR>Some people mistakenly call the international driving permit an international drivers license.<BR><BR>Above posters are correct--the IDP is a translation of your regulary driving license--you must carry your license as the IDP is not one.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:23 AM

Luv2Travel,<BR> I got one before I traveled to Europe and it was not requiered the two places where I thought it would be needed. I thought that it was necessary to rent a car, but was told that it was not. I thought that the customs guard at the Swiss border would want it, but he did not either. I enjoyed my trip to the AAA office to pick it up though. Lot's of cool travel gear, etc. Tim
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I won't be purchasing a permit then. No need to...