Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drivers license ? Will our Texas license be accepted to rent a motorcycle? or do we need an international license?

Search

Drivers license ? Will our Texas license be accepted to rent a motorcycle? or do we need an international license?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know if we need to get the international license for a one day motorcycle rental?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM

What country would you be talking about?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, we know that we can already say "yes" for Italy and Austria.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:11 AM

It's also legally required for Greece - and it must show that you are entitled to ride a motorcycle

It's also not valid unless you have your normal driving licence with it
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM
ira

Hi ms,

You always need your own driver's license. You must have a motorcycle license.

The International Driving Permit is a translation of your driver's license.

Available at www.aaasouth.com/travel_drivers.asp#idp

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

I am wondering about Italy / Florence
thanks......
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have a motorcycle license in the States? If so, that plus an IDP is required. If your stateside license doesn't have a motorcycle endorsement - then an IDP won't help.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

yes we do have a motorcycle license in Texas... so we will now pursue the IDP via AAA for $15
Any idea how long it will take to recieve?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM

I just got my IDP at AAA a couple days ago. I took in two passport photos and I got my IDP in 5 minutes.

Karbop1
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:52 AM

karbop got much better service than I did when I got my international driving permit at AAA. It took me 10 minutes!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:00 AM
ira

I did it by mail. Took about 10 days.

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:00 AM

I mailed in my IDP form and photos to AAA - it came back in 3 days.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM

We just returned from a motorcycle tour of Austria, Hungary, and Slovenia. My husband had a IDP from our local AAA (took 5 mintues), but never needed it while we were in Europe. He just needed his California drivers license which shows he is licensed to drive motorcycles. One day? You are going to wish you had much longer to see Europe on a motorcycle. We've gone 3 times on motorcycle trips and are convinced it is the only way to see Europe. Have fun!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM

re martyharly's comment - it is true you usually do not need an IDP to rent a motorcycle (or car for that matter). But it is a legal requirement to drive it. An IDP is a requirement in Italy, Austria and Greece. If you are stopped you will be VERY glad you have one.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM

The explanation that you need it to DRIVE rather than to RENT is a good one. And incidentally I'm not sure if it's just me but in Italy I see an awful lot of motorcycles stopped by police -- many more than cars. I'm not sure if the police just check them more for licenses or if all those motorcycle drivers are really breaking laws.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM

We have toured with Edelweiss Tours (a motorcycle touring company based in Austria) 3 times, all over Europe, including Italy, Hungary, Slovenia, Germany, France,Austria,and Switzerland. We had no probelm renting or riding. The local police were more interested in our passports, than an IDP.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM

martyharly: Are you actually advising the OP to break the law?? You may not have had any problems - however it is a requirement. I can just see it -- "Sorry officer, but a nice person on Fodors told me I didn't need an IDP"
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM

martyharly, while you were there did you have an accident and need to collect on insurance? If not, then by all means you should suggest they not get any insurance in Italy either. After all you didn't need it, so why should they?
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM

I get so tired of this explanation, but here it is again: It's the LAW that you MUST have an IDP in Italy. Car rental/motorcycle rental companies don't give a rat's a** whether you have one or not, and in all likelihood won't even ask you about it. BUT, if you get into an accident, get pulled over in one of those random police stops, or get stopped by the police for some infraction of the law and you do not have the IDP, you are liable to pay a considerable fine and possibly not be allowed to continue driving until you obtain an IDP. WHY ON EARTH would you not obey the law and shell out the meager $20 to obtain one in advance so that you will not end up in trouble in a foreign country?

The fact that a million idiots or ignoramuses have gotten away with not having one is so totally, completely irrelevant....YOU now have the information so you can't claim to be ignorant. Get the IDP.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM

"The fact that a million idiots or ignoramuses have gotten away with it". Nice (not!) language, but not what I've learned to expect from well mannnered Fodorites. My motorcycle company, which is an Austrian based company, has never recommended an IDP even though we have always obtained one. Insurance is all together another issue. We have always obtained insurance in addtion to the IDP. Never thought this was such a hot issue or required such a nasty reply. Have just reflected on our own experience which has been based on many miles of riding through Europe. Mellow out StCirg, take a ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -