Reload this Page >

International Driver's License

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:02 AM
KandG

I have been advised by friends that while it is not necesssary to have an international driver's license to rent a car in Italy, you had better have one on you if pulled over by the Italian police. Does anyone have experience with this issue? <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Dale

Posters on Slowtravelers forum agree that an international drivers licence is necessary in Italy. I go to Italy twice a year and have never had a problem. I'm leaving in ten days but don't know where to find this document! Ciao.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:48 AM
micia

I suggest you have one. Italian police have road blocks all over the place and you never know if you will be the one they stop. If you are the one they chose to stop, most now know to ask for this IDL. <BR>It is really a matter of whether you are willing to risk it or not as the odds are not so great that you will need it. <BR>You may be stopped or you may not. <BR>The official stopping you may know to ask, or may not. <BR>I have found that when I have been stopped, in the last few years, all from the south to the north have known to ask me for this IDL. <BR>Years ago, it was not so strict. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Linda

I've had experience. Yes, I needed it. Yes, it helped to have it. But, even if you have no cause to need it, I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. <BR> <BR>Dale, to get an IDL go to your nearest AAA with 2 passport sized photos and your valid stateside license. I think it costs $10, though I may be wrong with that. They issue it to you as you wait.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:59 PM
bettyk

If you don't have 2 photos, you can get them at AAA also. Don't remember the cost, but it was very reasonable.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:09 PM
mary lewis

We got them in February from a AAA office - got our picture taken right there - was about $25 per person with the picture.