Reload this Page >

international drivers license

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Maureen

We are renting a car in Italy---Florence to Rome and I would like to know from others experience if it is necessary to have an international drivers license.

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Linda

Maureen, <BR>We are renting in Austria next week and were required to obtain an international license to rent the vehicle. I think it varies by country and maybe by rental agency. If they haven't required one, perhaps you could confirm with them before you travel. If you want to be safe rather than sorry, go to your nearest AAA office. They'll be glad to sell you one for a mere $10. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps...Linda <BR>

Old May 27th, 2001, 07:15 PM
StCirq

Maureen: According to the latest Italian embassy website, no, you don't need one, but my experience has been that you need at least a valid translation of your current US license. Why take chances? Pay $20 and get one from AAA. It apparently is no longer required, but I would bet there are Italian policemen everywhere who are not aware of the new rules - my exprience in Italy is that officials don't seem to be aware of new rules until a year or two have passed.

Old May 28th, 2001, 09:12 AM
tonyc

Maureen; <BR>You don't need one. <BR>We were stopped by the police two different times on two seperate trips, <BR>once in Tuscany and once in Basilicata. <BR>These were routine traffic stops on side roads just off the Auto Strada. <BR>I showed them my US license, passports, and rental car papers, and after a quick inspection we were told to go. <BR> <BR>

Old May 28th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Charlie

We would have been in a lot of trouble without one last week. We were rear-ended outside Naples & both cars were totaled. Things were not going well until I remembered my international license. The police nodded in gratitude and things went soothly from there. Get one by all means. <BR>

Old May 28th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Tammy

Last year I got an international drivers licence for my trip to France, luckily I didn't need to use it. I'll be going to Spain in October, and I'm planning on taking it with me, however, it expires next month. Is it a big deal to have an IDL that is expired along with my current US drivers licence?

Old May 28th, 2001, 03:25 PM
lydia

WE rented in March in Germany and I did NOT have to have an international license. I am glad I didn't waste the money to get one. If you are a worrier, then by all means, go to AAA and get one. Good luck

Old May 28th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Diane

We will have a rental car for 11 days. I got an international drivers just to be safe. Got the dual photos at Costco for $5 and the license at AAA for $10. I've heard that it's a good backup for making it easier should you be in an accident (which has happened to me) or if you have to surrender it. Depends on whether or not you'll miss the $15.

Old May 28th, 2001, 09:25 PM
Art

Another aspect to the International license is that it shows the international road signs. For example, if you see an upside down yield sign it is really s stop sign. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR>