Intermediate vs full-size Renault - Help

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Neil

Intermediate vs full-size Renault - Help

Renting a car in France for my wife and me. Plan on driving about 8 days through Dordogne/Lot region. Avis offers an Intermediate and Full size Renault (Laguna vs. Safrane). Don't know anything about Renault or these models. Any suggestions, taking into account comfort, size of car in small towns and on mountain roads, gas mileage, luggage room, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 04:01 AM
mpprh

Hi

Laguna is fine for 2.

If possible, go for diesel, ac if in summer. Fuel costs are high .... up to USD 4 per gallon. Diesel is 25% cheaper at the pumps, gives up to 50% better gas mileage.

Check out the details to see descriptions in English here :

http://www.whatcar.com/

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Neil

Thanks, Peter.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Jim

Neil,
go to:http://www.renaultusa.com/ for the info you're seeking.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Louis

I've driven a Laguna for a week about 5 years ago. It's a very nice car. Very roomy & comfortable. I'd say similar in size to Honda Accord, but much more luxurious.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:14 AM
Neil

topping

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 07:21 AM
Ron

We always request a Laguna, and the one we rented on our recent trip was a diesel. Very comfortable car. This year's model has a CD player.

By the way, two highlights in that part of the country for us were the Jardins d'Eyrignac and the hill town of Cordes sur Ciel.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 08:22 AM
Betty

Please excuse me for butting in, but I am planning a trip for 12-13 people next June in France. I would like to be able to manage with 3 cars (4 or 5 people to a car) and had been considering the Laguna and the Safrane. The Laguna is a good deal cheaper than the Safrane. Do you think 3 Lagunas would work, assuming one medium or two small pieces of luggage per person? Or should I go for 3 Safranes or 2 Lagunas and 1 Safrane or 4 Lagunas (less expensive than 3 Safranes, but not sure I have 4 drivers)? How does the trunk space compare? Or would I do better with another make/model? I want us to be comfortable but don't want a car any larger than is necessary as we will be traveling on narrow mountain roads and in small villages. And, generally speaking, smaller cars get better gas mileage. I definitely want all to be Diesels and have AC. I will be talking with the AutoEurope people in the next few days, but I would like to first hear your opinions about these cars. Thanks.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 11:44 AM
Michael

Two years ago we rented a smaller Clio for three people and that worked very well. We had a diesel, which saves on fuel, but there was a premium paid on the long term lease (about a $150 differential for seven weeks). That may even out the cost between gasoline and diesel if you are not putting on a lot of mileage.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Rex

The Safrane has apparently been phased out of production by Renault. I just rented a full-sized car from Avis, and we got a Renauly VelSatis - - brand new on the showroom floors literally as we speak - - at 34.000 € and we drew a certain number of people taking a look at our car in various towns.

Four doors, and very roomy backseat (we were four adults), and trunk big enough for four rollaboards and four smaller carry-on (duffles - - scrunchable) bags.

This car would be MORE than many couples would consider necessary.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:44 PM
up

up

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Betty

I spoke with someone at AutoEurope a few days ago who suggested that for my group of 13 I should rent 3 Peugeot 607. This is their full-size car that has replaced the Renault Safrane. She said that it is designed to seat five adults and has a trunk space of 18-20 cu.ft. The car has AC but I can only "request" a Diesel (no guarantee). The rental cost for 13 days is just under $700 per car, including a second driver fee, but no CDW. (Using CC coverage.)

Questions: Is anyone familiar with this model? If so, do you think it could comfortably hold five with a reasonable amount of luggage? Does this sound like a good deal or should I look further?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Rex

I would not choose a car designed "to hold five adults" to actually carry five passengers - - if the trip is more than 100 km.

Although I do not have the specific experience of the Peugeot 607, I thought that the VelSatis was very roomy in the back seat - - very roomy for two women who were size 4 and size 8, respectively. They would have been okay with a third adult, if it was a trip to the grocery - - or if the third backseat passenger was a seven-year-old - - but I don't believe that it's as roomy as a Buick Park Avenue or anything like that.

I think that a minivan or two cars will be a better choice.

Have a great trip - - whatever your election.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Rex

Topping, for betty

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Betty

Thanks, Rex, for your reply and the "topping." (Btw, hope your trip to France was enjoyable and that you will tell us more about it. "Don't let the turkeys get you down.") About the car, I should perhaps have said that we will be 13 for only 7 of the 13 days. We'll pick up the cars in Avignon and be in that general area for a week. I plan to rent a house somewhere between Avignon, the Luberon and Aix-en-Provence and would travel no further than, maybe, Cassis during that week. Then, before leaving Provence, we will drop one person back in Avignon to take the train back to Paris before the rest of us head out for Dordogne and Loire Valley. Does that affect your advice? I really don't want to go for a fourth car unless it is absolutely necessary (because of extra costs and the need for a fourth driver), nor do I want to try to maneuver and park a van in small villages or drive one on curvy mountain roads (Luberon).

How about the price and the fact that AutoEurope can't guarantee me a diesel?

Any other opinions out there?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Michael

Betty,

Check the Peugoet web site for car descriptions. We drove a 307 last summer and that space was comfortable for four with lots of driving. But the luggage space required light traveling. I imagine that a 607 is quite a bit bigger than the 307. If youplan to see anything, 13 days is not an enormous amount of time, which means that your mileage will be relatively short--we did Paris-Dordogne 3 times, with a return to Paris from Barcelona, and still put on only 8000 km. If you must pay a premium for diesel, you won't make up the difference in that time. So don't sweat the diesel. BTW, the new Peugeot diesel are said to be 20% more efficient than the Renault diesel, should you get one.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Rex

All I can say about three in the back seat is: involve those people in the decision!

I agree not to worry about not being guaranteed diesel. I guess that's easy for me to say since I did GET diesel (without specifying) on this last trip. We spent about 105 € - - I guess that means we saved about 20-25 € over gasoline. not that big a deal. Not a basis for choosing one plan over another.

Interestingly enough, we were quoted a hugely higher rate (for a ONE week rental) from Autoeurope, and got our best rate renting directly from Avis (about 469 with all taxes and everything).

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Betty

Thanks,Michael and Rex (again). I checked the peugeot.com website and found out that the 607 is supposed to have the largest trunk in its class - 601 litres - I have no idea what that translates to in cu. ft., but sounds like it should be about the best I could hope for. I'm surprised, Rex, that you found a better deal with Avis. I'll check their site and see what they have to offer. I would like to have a guarantee on a diesel - 20-25% less on three cars adds up to quite a bit, but, of course, when shared among 12-13 people, I suppose it is not that big a deal. Of course, AutoEurope (nor any other company I know of) will not even guarantee a specific model, just "or similar." Thanks again, guys.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:24 PM
ppp

Betty: whatever Rex says (what's new..), the Peugeot 607 is a hell of a car, comparable to a Volvo S80. Lots of space for 5. No Buick Park Avenue of course, but who would want a car like that here in Provence anyways... Based on the short distances you will do, and spreading it over 12/13 passengers, diesel is not a must. You get one, fine; you don't, no big deal. Just get a good daily rate.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Connie

We rented the laguna this summer disel) and it was a very nice comfortable car. We rented through hertz in France. It is roomy, goes fast, has no problem with mountains and fit all our luggage.(there were five us us...2 adults and 3 teens). It fits two hugh and one smaller suitcase and it had a cd player. My husband loved it and he is use to driving bmw's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -