Interesting shops in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Rome later this month, and like to do some shopping as well as sightseeing. While I know the main streets around Via Condotti, can anyone recommend streets with interesting shops, antiques and such? I'm travelling with my children age 9 and 11, so any tips on good toy/clothes shops for children are welcome too.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 02:49 AM

I saw a toy store with an amazing front window full of the cutest toys in Piazza Navona. I unfortunately cannot give a name, exact location- but if you walk the perimeter of the piazza I'm sure the window will catch your eye. I'll look at a map later and try to pinpoint the location. They had a stuffed animal of a dog that was lifesize, not that you could pack that up and bring it home.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! any other ideas from anyone?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:02 AM

For antiques go to Via Dei Coronari - the entire street is pedestrian only and is lined with antique shops: don't miss this street, even if just to look. There are also some great restaurants mixed in along the way. Via Dei Coronari starts a little bit above Piazza Navona and runs due west. There are also a lot of interesting little shops in the side streets to the west of Campo di Fiori - one that sticks in my mind is a great little toy store for dogs and cats.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:05 AM

There are two toy stores on Piazza Navona. Al Sogno, at the north end, specializes in stuffed animals (huge ones!) and discourages people with children coming in and browsing. The other, Berte, at the south end, has a wide variety of toys: wooden pull toys, dollhouses and furniture, puzzles, games, dolls etc. This is where I usually buy Italian toys for my girls, ages 9 and 6. There is another toy store on the Via del Corso, just north of Via Condotti, but it sells a lot of American toys like Barbie. Another place, good for educational toys and crafts, is Citta del Sole, on Via della Scrofa near the Pantheon. Clothing shops. Your kids may be too old (or boys!) but my favorite clothing shop is Lavori Artigianili Femminili on Via Capo le Case near the Spanish Steps. Exquisite silk, cotton and wool clothing, hand smocked and embroidered. It's where I bought my girls' baptism gown and First Communion dress. Another shop is Mettimi Giu on Via due Macelli, also near the Spanish Steps. They sell clothes that are fun and modern and go up to age 15. The place for antiques is Via Coronari, near Piazza Navona. It is lined with antique shops.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:33 PM

There are some good and beautiful antique shops along Via del Babuino. As for kids clothes, there is Benetton, Playlife that you can find at the Termini Forum Shopping Centre, but have a look at the whole Termini Forum because there must be a couple of shops that sells toys too (one is on the upper level near the platforms and sells lots of lovely small soft toys of the MICI toy line, vey cute). Then there is Prenatal on Via Nazionale 45 also for kids clothings (it is for pregnant women AND kids up to 11).
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. GRINISA; I will certainly check out that shop for my girls. We are staying near the Spanish Steps; can you perhaps also recommend some good restaurants, that the children will like too? Don't mind if it's expensive, but don't want stuffy places!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:07 PM

Tulips: I'm hoping this works
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34416372
It's the link to my trip report about taking my girls to Rome in April. In it, I list many restaurants that they enjoyed. If for some reason this link doesn't get you the report, click on my screenname and all my posts will come up and the trip report is entitled "Rome with Kids."