Interesting places in Netherlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in amsterdam during the last 2 weeks of June. Does anyone know of any interesting places to visit? How about the neighbouring states? Are they worth the journey time?
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:01 AM

Neighbouring states? Do you mean are Belgium and Germany worth the journey?
Without knowing you, your interests, your budget, this is impossible to answer.
Why don't you look at the Fodor's destination guides, and come back here if you have some more specific questions.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanx for the feedback, Tulips. You're right. Here are some of my considerations:

I was researching on Den Haag (The Hague) and the dunes and royal tour appealed to me.

I wonder if the other provinces like Delft has such to offer; architectural buildings of historic values and nature parks.

I would be interested in Brussels too. Any ideas on about this state?
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:52 PM

You could visit The Hague and Delft in one day, it's so close. The train from Amsterdam to The Hague takes just one hour. Trains go very often. Actually, Delft isn't a province, just a small city next to The Hague.

Brussels is a 3 hours train ride away, which isn't that long but maybe too long for a one day visit. Antwerps is my favourite Belgian city, it's about 2,5 hours by train from Amsterdam...great shopping food and sightseeing.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Hague is great. Leiden is cute, too. As are Gouda & Delft. Lots of history everywhere you go, and the trains will go to all those places, too.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:02 PM

I recommend Hoorn! I am an American living in Holland for three years, and still think this is a beautiful and historic town. It is quite small by our standards, but it is on the inner lake and has beautiful surrounding countryside, including lots of windmills. Unfortunately, you will miss the beautiful tulip fields!!!
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Utrecht is an interesting university city, and Hilversum is fascinating for something out in the country.

Do visit the huge flower market just outside Amsterday; you can take a bus directly there and even see a windmill on the way.

We took a Grey Line tour of two seaside towns (names?) and really enjoyed the experience.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Wow sounds great! Thanx guys! I did further research on the places you all recommended and yup sounds like my type of holidays! Here I come soon Holland.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Does any1 know of any nice hotels in Amsterdam tt will not burn holes. If I stay away from the city center, will I have problems getting to the major attractions like anne frank house and museums. I'm looking at <90euro per night. Will I be able to get a resonable hotel with attached bathrooms. Any recommendations?
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:21 PM

I was just in Amsterdam at the end of April for four nights. We were there for the Queens Birthday celebration. I can highly recommend Prinsengracht Apt 238. You can do a google search or copy http://www.simplyamsterdam-apartment...ngracht238.htm The apartment in on the gound floor and the door opens on to the Prinsengracht Canal. It is in the Jordan area. Restaurants are all around, a grocery two blocks away as well as a cash machine. The public transportation is one block away. It has one bedroom, living room, full kitchen, separate toilet with sink, and a bathroom with jacuzzi tub and sink. It was CLEAN and nicely furnished. The landlady lives on the second floor and is very nice. It was much cheaper than a hotel and you felt at home. It is two blocks to the Ann Frank House. I am a travel agent and always try to stay in apartment whenever I can. Good luck
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM
yk

I just got back from an 8-day trip including London, Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Delft and Rotterdam.

I stayed at Hotel Washington in Museumplein. I got a single room with private bath for 80 euros, breakfast included. The room is tiny, but fine if you're not picky. Amsterdam is rather spread out, so it's hard to stay in 1 place where you can walk to every sight. Another alternative is to bid for a hotel on Priceline.
The website for Hotel Washington is:
http://www.hotelwashington.nl/

Here's a link to my trip report (with hotel reviews at the end) if you're interested to see what I did in all these cities:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34626323
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM
yk

Here is a link to photos (which has a photo of my tiny single room in Hotel Washington):
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-fqhbde
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

I juz read ur entire report yk and gosh u are amazing!!! Coincidentally, I'll be visiting Den Haag, Delft, Rotterdam and Amsterdam too. TQ, I've checked out Hotel Washinton. Looks decent. At the moment, I still have 3 days to spare for this trip. Still undecided abt Brussels (been to see Mannekin Pis already)or towns nearer to Germany. Any tots abt it?
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:36 AM
yk

I was underwhelmed by Brussels, to be honest. But if you like art, the Royal Museums are not to be missed. And most people enjoyed the Musical Instrument Museum more than I did.

Obviously, if you are into shopping, Antwerp is only 2 hours away by train.

Rotterdam is nicer than I had expected - I wish I had more time there to check out the architecture.

I didn't get to visit Haarlem. The 2 Dutch guys whom I met at dinner suggested I go to Maastricht. They spoke very highly of it.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

I'll not into shopping on this trip, will be doing more of sightseeing, architectural and nature. Tho' I'm female, but I'm not into shopping! Strange but true. Plus I'll be travelling alone this time so there wont be any butler to carry my stuff lol