Interesting but low hassle travel to Genoa/Savona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just booked a Costa cruise in September out of Genoa/Savona. Because we are hesitant to fly in the day of the cruise departure, we will fly from NY to Europe one day early. Looking for ideas on another city to fly into, ie: Paris or Milan for one night, then on to Genoa the next morning. Or, should we take a train from Paris to Genoa? After a long flight, we will want the most direct route possible to avoid the planes, trains, automobile route. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Costa departs out of Savona, which is about 30 minutes to an hour's train ride from Genoa. The cost is about €4.8 per person each way in 2nd class, depending on the type of train. Then, you'd still have to get to the pier, so it's a 10 minute taxi ride away.

What we did was fly in early, had a long layover in Milan and then fly into Genoa. While it seemed a great idea at the time, I'd hesitate to recommend this.

I would recommend instead that you fly into Milan and stay there overnight, taking the train to Savona, which is about a 2h15m train ride and costs about €15.20 per person each way in 2nd class (again, price is dependent on the type of train). Genoa itself is definitely worth a visit as well.

For train information, go to www.trenitalia.com and search for the English flag. Genoa is Genova in Italian, in case that is a destination for you in the end.

I would not recommend a long layover as it spikes up the risk of lost luggage, luggage which you will most likely not see until you return to the US. Costa is not helpful to you in that regard, and their guest relations people will smile and misrepresent the truth to make you happy. But I would take a Costa cruise again for the right price (and only utilizing carry on luggage). Losing luggage was quite character building, and we still had a good time in spite of our experience.

Paris for one night is barely worth it. If you have the time, what about Paris on your trip home?
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:32 AM

DebNY,

If you're just going to spend a night at your European gateway, it doesn't really make sense to interrupt your trip anywhere. Just connect through to Genoa.

This should be possible with Lufthansa, Air France or Alitalia.

To get the best fare, check those airlines' websites as well as Orbitz, Expedia and Travelocity.

BTW, where are you returning from?

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM

mcnyc is absolutely right!

Since the boat leaves from Savona, flying into Genoa isn't really a big help.

In that case, just fly nonstop to Milan (Continental, Delta, Alitalia or Eurofly) and take the train to Savona the next day.

Another option would be flying to Nice nonstop (Delta / Air France codeshare) and taking the train from there to Savona (2.5 to 3 hours). You can display the schedules on trenitalia.com (departure station is "Nice Ville&quot. If you want to prepurchase, go to: www.sncf.com, select prepayment and ticket pickup in France.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all. I like the idea of flying into Milan or Nice and taking the train to Savona the morning of our departure. Because I fly frequently, I have a higher confidence in trains being on time than planes. Another question, is the train ride from either of these cities scenic? Would Paris be an option, or is this too far? I see several direct flights to Paris also.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Well, the train from Nice to Savona goes along the Riviera, first the French Riviera, then the Italian Riviera, so, yes it is quite scenic. And Nice is a nice place to visit.

However, I too would fly directly to Genoa. It's an interesting city for a day or 2. And flying to Genoa lessens the possible complications and delays. Always possible on Italian trains.

If you want to see Paris, allow more time.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM

You're welcome!

As Mimar mentions, the train ride from Nice to Savona should be much more scenic than the one from Milan. If you're really unlucky and a strike completely paralyzes train traffic

This would be my preferred option, provided the ticket cost for the Nice nonstop flight was not significantly higher than for a nonstop flight to Milan.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Darn - posted before I had finished writing! Here goes again:

You're welcome!

As Mimar mentions, the train ride from Nice to Savona should be much more scenic than the one from Milan.
This would be my preferred option, provided the ticket cost for the Nice nonstop flight was not significantly higher than for a nonstop flight to Milan.

If you're really unlucky and a strike completely paralyzes train traffic between Milan/Nice and Savona (highly unlikely), you can still easily rent a car and make your cruise. As mcnyc writes, if your luggage doesn't make it on time, you will be without it for your entire cruise. So fly nonstop!

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I loved Andre's idea of flying into Nice and taking the train to Savona. Like the Andre and Mimar noted, it is a more scenic train ride from Nice than from Milan.

If you are thinking of Genoa, just know that a taxi cab ride from Genoa to Savona is most exciting and beautiful, as you twist and turn along the Italian Riviera. It costs about €80 from town. Of course, the train is much more economical. I don't know what the view is from the train, as while I researched taking a train, we necessarily had to take the taxi.

I personally wouldn't fly to Paris and take the train to Savona. Too long a ride for my liking. If Paris and Milan are your only direct flights, then take the flight to Milan and spend some time there.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Actually, flights from NY (Albany) to Milan and Nice are almost the same price, so it looks like Nice is the preferred destination by train. Another question, since it is not that far, are there options to rent a car/limo from Milan or Nice to Savona? Second set, we plan to stay a few nights after the cruise. So, if we fly into/out of Nice, I am looking for suggestions for a a four night itinerary...Savona to Nice. PS...past experience indicates that we like the path less traveled. We loved the rustic towns encountered when exploring Tuscany a few years back. Thanks again to all...
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM

We are going next April on Costa from Savona, also. Please give me any info you have that will be helpful to us. We will stay in Genoa, prob., and take a taxi to the ship. I like to get on early!!! [email protected] please email me about your trip
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM

What kind of info are you looking for? Please expand your question...thanks.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM

We want to stay in either Savona??? or Genoa,but I heard Genoa is not safe. Please advise me. I have a good hotel booked in Genoa for right now. [email protected]