Inter-city vs Eurostar-Italy

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:03 AM
dan

Inter-city vs Eurostar-Italy

What is the difference between these trains? I am traveling from venice to florence and have been told that the Eurostar is the fastest way to get there. But when I looked up total duration of trip both trains had similar travel time.<BR>Please help.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Santa Chiara

Eurostar is more reliable, nicer, newer. Reservations are mandatory. IC trains can be okay, but they can also be crowded. Reservations are not mandatory but are advised.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:22 AM
claire

Eurostar is supposed to be the more upscale option. And, when you buy a ticket for it, you must also buy a seat reservation. On other Italian trains, such as the IC, you can buy a ticket but not a seat reservation & take your chances of finding a seat or standing in the aisles. Eurostar has airconditioning. IC first class has a mild bit of a/c. The IC generally makes more stops and is cheaper. I've taken both types of train within the past year, and the configuration of the cars varies. From Venice to Florence, if the duration is similar, I'd either take the Eurostar or get a first class ticket with seat reservation on the IC.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:25 AM
dan

WOuld it be wise to make reservations before i leave home to get on the eurostar? Or should I wait until I get to venice to buy the tickets? There will be 2 of us and we will be in venice for 4 days before leaving for florence.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Santa Chiara

Hi, Dan. Me again. If you have four days in Venice, that will be plenty of time, and it will be a lot easier. You can also get tickets at some travel agencies in Venice (if their printer works, the computer isn't down and the agency is open) or at the American Express office. But the train station is convenient to get to, so I would just start there.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:46 AM
robin-k

-<BR>Dan:<BR><BR>I've traveled on both the IC trains & ES trains. On any of the runs between Italy's major cities (Venice-Florence, Florence-Rome, for example) I always, ALWAYS take the Eurostar option. Both Santa Chiara and Claire have given accurate descriptions of difference between the two. So I'll reiterate that ES is more comfortable, more reliable, and overall the best way to travel via rail.<BR><BR>I feel it's a rare occasion on which you need to buy your train tickets before getting to Italy. One would be if you're just arriving during Easter weekend and immediately want to take train to your final destination. As you've described your situation, I'd suggest that you wait until you're in Venice. Then on one of your days prior to departing for Florence, make your ticket purchases w/seat reservation (you could do it on day 1 or 2 & get it out of the way). Tickets can be bought at the train station. Makes it easier if you go into website (www.trenitalia.com or www.trenitalia.it or www.fs-on-line.com) & print out the date/time you want to travel --- altho some do speak a bit of English it can avoid confusion by being explicit and having your travel request written down. Alternatively, you can buy train tickets at a travel agency in Venice. Your hotel can direct you to nearest office.<BR><BR>Yes, others will say to not bother purchasing ahead of time and simply go to station 30-45 min ahead. That is an option. But the train station can get very busy & you'll find yourself in a slow moving line anxiously watching the clock as you hope to make that xxx train.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Sue

Dan, it's one of those Murphy's law things. You don't make rez before you leave home, there will be a soccer game or whatever on the day you're travelling and the trains will be booked solid days in advance. Everyone you talk to will say, oh, I always book in advance. <BR><BR>Whereas if you do make rez before you leave home, you will arrive and find the train half empty, with people successfully buying tickets as they practically board the train. Everyone will cheerfully tell you that there was no need to book in advance.<BR><BR>If the journey is an important one, it may be worth it to you to pay the outrageous prices charged this side of the pond, for the peace of mind.