Reload this Page >

Girls, I need your help. What to bring from Vienna, Prague, Budapest and Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 11:22 AM
krystal

Girls, I need your help. I love to shop when I visit countries abroad. I have brought home tons of stuff,big and small. Now that I have just finished planning my summer trip to the mentioned cities I need to start thinking on what to buy and most important of how much to save to shop, shop, shop. Any suggestions?

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Christina

A good guidebook will usually discuss local items and shopping; I found the Cheap Sleeps in Vienna, Prague and Budapest book by Sandra Gustafson very good for these issues (it has stores and shopping tips in the back) in addition to accommodations. I would suggest you decide on a budget for gifts and souvenirs, and then not spend over it, instead of vice versa. Prague is great for garnet jewelry and crystal (garnet earrings about $25-50 a pair depending on detail and whether silver and gold). Crystal wineglasses maybe $5-10 each. I bought some local arts and crafts items, but they are the usual $10 or less purchases. I just bought knick-knacks in Budapest (those wooden doll things, candlesticks, etc) that only cost a few dollars. I didn't buy much of anything in Vienna.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 11:38 AM
s.fowler

My favorite purchase in Budapest is paprika. I get mine in the grocery store where it's much cheaper and you can buy several different kinds. I posted this paprika classification before, but here it is again <BR> <BR>Rozsa (sweet and a burnt-orange color; sold as Hungarian paprika in most supermarkets) <BR>Edesnemes (more like Spanish paprika, sweet and very red) <BR>Csemege (similar to Edennemes; very aromatic) <BR>Csipos (slightly hot but less so than chile) <BR> <BR>Edesnemes and Csemege are preferred for cooking, or so I am told. I like tossing a little Csispos into my gulas <BR> <BR>Otherwise there are the wooden knicknacks -- I like the painted egss and napkin rings. There is also a fair amount of embroidered table linens and pottery. The best place is teh Folk Centrum on Vaci Utca. I also like buying REAL painted eggs for the holiday tree They pack them expertly for travel.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Shanna

Most cities and towns have shops with local artists' renderings of local sights. I found some lovely silkscreen prints of bridges in Bruges, some etchings of Paris streets, watercolors from Salzburg. The prices usually are very reasonable if you purchase a small print. If they are unframed, they take no room in luggage and to my mind make wonderful memorabilia. One artist even wanted to come home with me when he found out I lived in Florida! I'm not certain but think I read omewhere that "original art work" is duty free.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Heather

I don't usually buy big ticket items, but in Budapest, I bought some very pretty signed prints and hand-carved chess sets from street market vendors (ranging from US$4-10 each); in Vienna, I only bought candy treats for friends & family -- small boxed Sacher tortes and fabulous boxed candy at Almann & Kuhn's near St. Stephan's Cathedral; and in Munich, small Christmas ornaments and treats from the Marktplatz vendors. Oh, and I did buy two gorgeous Herend bowls from a shop in the Castle Hill area. There's a thread on what to buy in Budapest that I will try to find and top for you.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 01:25 PM
fellow shopper

Krystal: I was in Budapest two years ago. I am a china freak (the place settings, not the country) and highly recommend buying Herend china while you are in Budapest. There is a huge Herend store in downtown Pest (can't recall the location, but I'm sure it is in all the guide books.) The store is gorgeous - more of a musuem than a store, and carries just about every piece of china made by Herend (animal figurines, dishes, etc.) Things are still quite expensive, but the savings over the U.S. are unbelievable. I would have bought more if I had known what a "deal" it was. For example, I bought dessert plates with a bird motif. They were $85 USD each. Two months later, I was back in the states and wandered into a china store. They had the exact plates I had just bought in Budapest for $250 each! If you have the money, it's worth buying.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 04:16 PM
xxx

I've never been to any of those places, but I would like to have embroideries from Hungary, or, if available, classical or Hungarian folk music CDs or phonograph records.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Linda

In Prague, Christina mentioned the main items (I bought several of both crystal & garnets), but puppets are a big commodity as well. One thing I bring back for little gifts are those large chocolate bars ($.50-$1 there). You always forget someone and this is a nice little reminder. Also, they pack very easily and don't break. <BR>In Budapest--china, crystal, dolls, and the surprise hit for small gifts--porcelain eggs ($1-$3)--again, easy to pack and hard to break. I went to some little shops out of tourist district and found some cute antiques. <BR>In Vienna--found some beautiful ball ornaments (porcelain and cloisonne) some were Christmas and others could be for any time. Also, as xxx stated, we got some cds of zither music (Vienna), Dvorak (Prague), and other classical & gypsy music (Budapest, Prague). <BR>It has been a long time since I was in Munich, but I have a heavy glass beer mug from the Hofbrau.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Laura

Bringing this to the top again; my husband and I are visiting the very same places this summer. Could use suggestions. Thanks!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:14 AM
kelly

I can only speak to the Prague part of your question:<BR>Garnet Jewelry for sure - there is a street near the main square of the Old Town that is known for its jewelry stores - there is literally one store after another selling garnets.<BR><BR>Moser Crystal - I beleive this is the best Czech crystal you can buy. There are two stores - one in the Old Square and one off of Wenceslas Square - the latter is the main showroom and everything is gorgeous. Splurge on a couple of ornate goblets!<BR><BR>Oil paintings of Prague - you can find some very nice ones on the St. Charles bridge (but you'll have to be choosy). We bought a colourful sort of abstract of a bustling narrow street with the fairy tale beautiful Tyn church in the background and everyone comments on how nice it is. (I think the artists name was "Tyvek"). <BR><BR>Enjoy!!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Marc David Miller

From a boy--the finest clothing in Mitteleuropa is made/sold by Loden-Planck 1, Michaelerplatz 6 (533 8032), fashions for both men and woman. Not cheap, but you will use the coats and sweaters from their for your entire life.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:50 PM
shopper

topping

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:02 PM
BTilke

Austrian-style clothes have been showing up on the fashion circuit recently, so if you get yourself a beautiful jacket or two in Vienna, you'll be ahead of the fashion. Actually, I think the Austrian jackets, sweaters and coats are timeless, but don't expect discounts. These are quality items that will last for years, decades, and the Austrians expect you to pay what the clothing is worth (good for them). For food items, stop in the Meinl high end grocery store and stock on uniquely Austrian food items--their house brand Fruhestuck (breakfast) coffee, top quality pumpkin oil (fantastic on salads and VERY healthy) and wine. I just came back from a short Vienna trip with wine, pumpkin oil, beautiful children's clothes for my niece (the Haus des Kindes on the Karntnerstrasse has an excellent selection and good prices), clothes for my husband, a wonderful full color coffee table book on Austria, and beautiful leather gloves. Nothing was cheap, but the quality of each item really shines through.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Laura

Thanks, you guys! How much can I expect to pay for good quality garnet jewelry, say a nice bracelet or necklace, (I know it can vary depending on style and # of gems) But can I expect $20-50. How about (in the other extreme price-wise) Paprika? A nice, but small, oil painting (or even a watercolor)? Thanks again everyone!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Rae

For what its worth.....<BR><BR>A really nice thing to collect from any European city (because you can often find street artists as you walk around) are small framed pen and ink or pencil drawings of the place you have visited. <BR><BR>Not only do these little frames not take up much space in your luggage, but they are easy to transport and make a stylish display at home (no clashing colours!) which always remind you of your visits...not expensive either - plan or spending no more than $20-30 for each print.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Leslie

You can get yourself a pair of gold plate garnet earrings in your price range. It's 15 carat gold over sterling silver. The classic styles are less expensive than the contemporary styles, but even for $20 to $50 you are not going to get a lot of garnets. Try Regena at 44 Karlova Street. There are many showrooms on multiple floors. You won't find a bracelet or necklace in your price range, but you will find pendants for chains. For good quality 14K gold bracelets and rings, prices start at $100 and up.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Laura

topping

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Leslie

Oops ... typo ... meant 14 carat gold.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:53 PM
honey

In Prague, we bought beautiful colored cut glass wine glasses and crystal necklaces. In Budapest, more colored cut glass (wine glasses and vases), porcelain and embroidered table clothes. In Munich, pewter Christmas tree ornaments, beer steins, cuckoo clocks.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:04 AM
amy

Laura,<BR><BR>Paprika is the cheapest thing you will buy! The packets at the grocery stores, called SMATCH and all over the city, are about 50 cents and are the easiest thing to transport. However, I do think it's quite easy to get imported paprika in the States. I know the Szegedi in particular is sold widely in US supermarkets and it's one of the brands I found in Budapest. Also, I second the Jules Meinl supermarket in Vienna, accent on super. It's a wonderful gourmet market with so much eye candy you won't know what not to buy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -