Instead of the full Irish breakfast

Jul 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Instead of the full Irish breakfast

If you are in a hotel or B&B that advertizes Irish breakfast for 10 or 13 euros, would you also have a choice of having a much smaller meal (continental breakfast, or toast and coffee, for instance) for a lesser price? Or does it just depend on the individual place?

Also is tap water readily available (and free) at pubs and restaurants in Ireland? I know, I know, who would drink tap water in a pub?
Jul 19th, 2013, 01:46 PM

If I have to pay 10 or 13 euros for a breakfast I would go to a cafe and order there and order what I want. I don't do the full Irish breakfast. If breakfast is free then you usually have a choice. They normally have cereal, yogurt, toast, juice and coffee. I never order tap water so can't answer there.
Jul 19th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Kristinelaine,

IME most B&Bs and hotels in Ireland include breakfast in their price. it can be as much or little as you like, though most are pretty lavish if you want them to be.

I'm sure that getting tap water will be fine, but you might get a funny look if that's ALL you order in an irish pub.
Jul 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Breakfast will always be included at B&Bs, you can just have the toast and cereal option which is usually first. Just about everyone has the cooked breakfast as well but no need if you aren't keen. It will depend on the B&B if they offer something else. Once my husband said he didn't want the cooked part of the breakfast and the owner gave him some fruit which was nice but unexpected.

If a hotel advertised breakfast for a certain price and it's not what you want, you can just go somewhere else, go to a cafe down the road instead.

I couldn't imagine you being refused a glass of water in restaurants. Pubs, I don't know, it probably depends on the pub.

Kay
Jul 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM

I was just in Ireland and we had tap water everywhere we went to eat, with no problem at all. (and no charge)
In the pub I also had tap water, along with wine or beer or a drink of course, not just tap water.

Both of our hotels included breakfast in the rate and you had different choices of cooked breakfast including the best porridge I have ever eaten, or there were cereals, yogurts, fruit salad, breads etc laid out as well. In both of our hotels you could have the cooked breakfast as well as help yourself to anything else that was laid out.
Jul 19th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all your help.

I was looking at one hotel that advertized breakfast at 10 euro. What I wonder is, if you don't want to pay 10 euro for breakfast, do you have to go ELSEWHERE to get something less expensive, for example, a cafe somewhere outside the hotel OR will the hotel also have other breakfast choices for less than 10 euro. Hope this question makes sense.
Jul 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all your help. Let me be more specific.

I was looking at one hotel that advertised breakfast at 10 euro. What I wonder is, if you don't want to pay 10 euro for breakfast, do you have to go ELSEWHERE to get something less expensive, for example, a cafe somewhere outside the hotel OR will the hotel also have other breakfast choices for less than 10 euro. Hope this question makes sense.
Jul 19th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about double post.
Jul 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Hotels which charge extra for Breakfast should have 2 rates one for Continental and one for Full Unfortunately the new trend is just to have a fixed rate so have a full or loose out.. B&B's are now advertising a price with continental breakfast included but extra for a full.

Back to the question and a typical Café breakfast will start at about €5 but many Fuel stops have Delí counters where you can get snack or sandwich's and a drink for a little less. The benefit of a Full Breakfast is of course that you can go most of the day without eating again.
Jul 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM

10 to 13 euros sounds like a deal to me! In my hotels in Leipzig, Dresden and Weimar, they were charging 20 to 25 euros. Needless to say, I found a nearby cafe.
Jul 19th, 2013, 10:01 PM

Many times during the day, no matter where I am, I drink plain tap water. I've never been refused. The thing I love about Europe is I don't have to stipulate that I don't want ice. It comes straight up.

Go to a café for breakfast or a small shop.
Jul 20th, 2013, 01:16 AM

i agree with Peg. 2 years ago we stayed at a hotel that was offering breakfast for €18 pp. as there were three of us staying 4 days that was the equivalent of another night's lodging. [actually, closer to 2 nights].

instead we went down to the little port about 10 mins walk away and had croissants, coffee and juice for €4 each. It was all we wanted and left room for a decent lunch!

recently in France we stayed in a hotel where the breakfast was €9 pp. we tried it the first morning and decided that it was worth staying in for what we got - as much coffee and juice as we wanted, fresh fruit salad and yogurt, boiled eggs and cold meats and cheese. we didn't eat everything every day, but it seemed like a good deal to us.]

Peg - thinking about it, are you sure that at the places you stayed in Germany, the breakfast was extra? when we stayed in Potsdam and Dresden last year, the breakfast was shown separately on the bill, but was in fact included in the room price - I checked. they said that they were obliged to show it that way by law. [oops - this may be news you don't want to hear!]
Jul 20th, 2013, 02:10 AM

Germany, especially eastern Germany will often show a breakfast as a separate bill and often highish, basically because the area is still operating a two level economy with 4-5 star hotels picking up high end eastern and mid-range western german customers at the Euro 15-25 area while the lower star chains are looking out the local workers so charge 5 to 10 Euro for breakfast. While over there on our Elbe trip you could see this happen as we moved East. Back in western Germany breakfast prices were more equitable and lower.

Often not included in the price annhig.
Jul 20th, 2013, 04:21 AM

Often not included in the price annhig.>>

Bilbo - i was simply commenting on my experience that it looked as if it was separate, but turned out not to be.
Jul 20th, 2013, 04:34 AM

Never knew a full Irish breakfast was on offer in so many countries..
Jul 20th, 2013, 08:24 AM

yes, tony, we do seem to have segued away from the original topic, don't we?

which is one of the joys of fodors of course.
Sep 14th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Just back from Ireland. The hotel in question turned out to have a choice of two breakfasts -- a continental for 7 or so and the full Irish for 10.
Sep 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks for coming back with info about your experience. It should help others that might have this same questions.