Search

Input on VRBO apartment in the Gracia area

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input on VRBO apartment in the Gracia area

Hello again,

We've rented an apartment in Gracia. It is in Carrer de Goya. Is anyone familiar with the area? I googled the address and noted lots of graffiti on the metal gates of the stores. Perhaps this is common and not an indication of how safe the area is. Can you give us some input?

Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 12:14 AM

Barcelona has a lot of Graffiti just look at street view and no matter where one is you will see some.
Is it safe? You may hear about petty crimes like pick pocketing but nothing involving knives and guns. But that is Barcelona!
I hope that the property is registered.
Read this thread for more information on that.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...b-question.cfm
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 12:18 AM

The graffiti is very common. It in itself is not an indication of any lack of safety. You would only be a block or two from the Passeig de Gracia/Carrer Gran de Gracia and less than 800 meteres from Gaudi's Casa Mila building.

Gracia, itself, is a little grittier, in a working class kind of way, than the same general area just 1/2 mile south of it below the Avenida Diagonal. I don't know if that makes it less "safe", hopefully a Barcelona native or expert can provide better information on that.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 09:50 AM

Griffiti does indicate something about an area and the kind of people living there, really. You don't get graffiti in upscale areas. But it can be common in areas that are safe enough, in large cities, I agree. Last time I stayed in an apt in Eixemple and I don't remember much, if any, graffiti around on the streets nearby.

There is more crime than just pickpockets in Barcelona, more forcible robbery may be the concern, or bag snatching. There tends to be more to worry about in areas with a lot of tourists (good targets), such as around tourist venues like Sagrada Familia, the Ramblas, the beach, Parc Guell, etc., and the metro. But Gracia is a safe enough area, I wouldn't worry about that. It is a popular area, kind of more trendy and hipster-ish, with artists and expats living there.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 11:23 AM

Fine description of the district:

"Given my penchant for quiet, charming residential part of any city I visit, it comes as no surprise that I absolutely adore Gràcia. And so should you!

The ... atmosphere here feels significantly more authentic, relaxing and artistic. It’s full of narrow streets, intricate terraces, small restaurants, bars, wine shops, antique stores, boutiques, thrift stores etc. Literally perfect for eating and shopping and wandering and people-watching".
http://www.theconfuseddasher.com/201...ona-on-budget/
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your thoughts on Gracia. It gives me comfort that we have picked the right area. We would prefer to stay where the locals live and yet not too far from the main points of interest. I am a bit more adventurous than my DH but I read your replies to him and he was assured.

We have friends who just decided to join us so we are checking to see if they can rent an apartment in the same bldg or at least next door.

I will post my observations after our trip.

Cheers!