input on Norway trip please

Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

input on Norway trip please

We are going to Norway for 2 1/2 weeks in late June. We will attend a wedding in Oslo when we get there, then spend time in Oslo with people who live there for a few days.

Could anyone please advise what would be the better way to spend the remaining two weeks?

Options we are currently considering:
1)Fly from Oslo to Tromso, tour the coast between Tromso and Bodo (go back to Tromso), fly Tromso to Trondheim, take boat from Trondheim to Bergen, then do NIN from Bergen to Oslo.

Or

2)NIN from Oslo to Bergen, then fly from Bergen to Alesund, then to Molde and Kristiansund, then on to Geiranger. Then a ferry to Hellesylt, down to Stryn, Leon, and Olden, and to Fjaerland. Take ferry to Balestrand, and another to Flam. Take railway that connects with Myrdal on Bergen line. Back to Oslo for flight home.

I found option 2 in the Fodor's book on Norway. Basically, I would like to know-should we travel to the most northern coast, or spend more time on the western coast?

My husband and I are about 30, we travel with backbacks-no big roller bags-and our priority is mostly seeing nature, but we also enjoy culture and history.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Jan 4th, 2007, 12:21 AM
eri

You will see much more if you rent a car and drive. Is that an option? If this is your first trip to Norway don't fly to Tromso. Tour the fjords.
Jan 4th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Hi

If you can rent a car it can be nice to drive along the coast and up to Bergen. The western fjords can be really nice in June. If you stop by the end of Stavanger in the end of June you can check out the annual Beach volleyball world cup. They make "courts" in the middle of town so it is usually pretty lively. See my page when it comes Stavanger: http://gardkarlsen.com/stavanger.htm

If you like a bit of hiking you can check out places like Preikestolen (see http://gardkarlsen.com/preikestolen.htm ) and Kjerag (see http://gardkarlsen.com/kjerag.htm . Both will give you a great view of the Lyse fjord
In Oslo you must visit the Vigeland Park of course: http://gardkarlsen.com/oslo_vigeland_park.htm . It is just beautiful.

What about taking the coastal liner from Bergen to Trondheim? In the summer time it takes a detour in some of the fjords. Check out info on http://www.hurtigruten.no .

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Jan 4th, 2007, 03:24 AM

I would steer between the expensive extremes of car travel and the northbound cattle run of the ferry (which hits the prime fjord only northbound but mostly stays a bit offshore with limited bedspace).

Take the special train to Andalnes from Oslo. Possibly there is a sleeper, but ensure the famous scenic end part is in daylight. Connect to the southbound steamer by bus or small ferry to Molde or the like. You will be a daytripper with cheap fare and full run of the ship to eat/sightsee/etc.

Get off in beautiful charming wonderful Alesund for overnight or 2, saying goodbye to shipmates paying a fortune for a long trip in a small cell, maybe in a catatonic stare after birdwatching distant passing rocks for week or so.

Now, catch the northbound (!!) steamer from Alesund to Alesund (!!) with runs deep into Geiringer fjord, again as a daytrip. Actually might choose to do by smaller ferrys and bus... you can finesse the details after reviewing online schedules. Beware that small towns like Alesund can have conferences/festivals that tie up virtually all rooms far ahead.

Then take the southbound ferry again to Bergen - this will be a different, maybe very different, ship which you will find interesting again at cheap daytrip rates with no reservation needed and nice scenery. Use Bergen as a base for various daytrips like to Hardingar etc. Work in the nutshell as part of your train ride to Oslo, like starting with a ferry to the fjiord and taking the bus/little train in reverse direction as conventional.
Jan 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Nutshell Oslo-bergen via Flåm and Gudvangen. Combine with hike in Aurlandsdalen (bus from Flåm to Østerbø, overnight stay, hike down (SPECTACULAR !), continue with NIN-ferry. Possible to rent bikes at Flåm to take train up to Myrdal, bike down 2 hrs. 2 days Bergen. No more fjords, one fjord is like another (I'm Norwegian, used to fjords). Fly Bergen-Ålesund, 1 day, fly to Trondheim, 1 day. Stavanger with Prekestolen and Kjerag, absolutely ! car rental expensive, but check summer weekend-rates. If you want a prolonged hike, check http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/
Jan 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM

We took an overnight ferry from Stravenger to Bergen. It was so beautiful I didn't want to sleep.
The market area of Bergen is wonderful. I wouldn't miss it.

I would spend more time in the fjord area then the NIN offers. We used Balestrand as our "home" port in the fjord area and used the ferries to get around. We stayed at the Balestrand Hotel. ( ask for a fjord view vs. mountain view). Fjaerland's bookstores were fun, as was the glacier museum. My kids did sea kayak lessons in Balestand and loved it.

If I went again I would do more in the Flam railroad area. You can rent bikes, take the train up to Myrdal and then ride back down in the afternoon. I saw people doing this and it looked lovely. You can also just walk back down.

I would also spend more time around Geiranger.

Although it was 6 hours or so, I loved the train through the mountains from Myrdal to Oslo. It goes though really isolated mountain fishing towns. You have time, it might be fun to stop in one of these villages overnight.
Jan 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for very helpful advice. It definitely seems like we should not bother to fly all the way to the northern coast because there is so much to see on the west.

Links are much appreciated, and Gard, I really enjoyed your website.

I'm sure I will come back with more q's when I am closer to a complete itinerary.

Thanks again.
Jan 13th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Give some thought to the magnificent Lofoten Islands.
Jul 4th, 2007, 09:54 AM
EPC

Did anyone stay at Stalheim as well? Would it be best to do the overnite ferry from Bergen to Balestrand, stay there 2 nites and see the fjords before continuing on to Oslo? We only have 5 days in Norway starting in Bergen and ending in Oslo before taking the train to stockholm. Would it be best to just do the NIN tour one way Bergen to Oslo stopping 1 nite along the way?
Jul 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I think with 5 days in Norway, staying one at Stalheim in the middle of NIN is just about perfect.

One day Bergen, two days NIN, two days Oslo.
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:32 AM
EPC

How do you add Balestrand in there? Is there time?
Thanks so much!