Information desired re: Train Cortona to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of ya'll taken the train between Cortona and Florence?

We will be spending a week in Cortona and will have a rental car. It is probably best to leave the car in Cortona and commute to Florence by train, yes?

Is this an easy commute? (I realize it is not a long train ride.) Prices reasonable? Is there only one main stop for Florence? Any input appreciated.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I do not think that there is a train station in Cortona, but there must be a close one where if you wish you can leave the car and take a train to Florence. Go to trenitalia.com .
Cortona is a charming little town at top of a hill. You can leave the car in parking lots that are located at the foot of the streets going down. If I recall right the hotel we always go is the St Michele and it is located in Via Guelfa right at its foot there is a free parking lot.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Graziella5b,

I did a search on Trenitalia for Cortona to Florence and I received results for a place called Camucia. I did a google on this and it appears it is "in" Cortona? I can't tell. Perhaps it is another town nearby Cortona?

I have been on this computer all day because work was closed due to the hurricane here. I'm failing fast. Soooo...What does anyone know about this Camucia that if I really tried I could find out on my own?
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 09:57 PM

Camucia is the town directly below Cortona. We have stayed in Cortona and also taken the train into Florece from Camucia. It is a very easy ride, a little less than an hour, if I remember right. You can also take the bus down from Cortona to the train station if you don't want to drive and park down there...it's probably a 15min ride on the bus. I don't remember the cost of is there is more than one train stop, but I would definately not drive and try to park in Florence when this is such an easy alternative.
Have a great trip...my favorite restaurant in Cortona is La Grotta...have their gnocchi, they're the best I've ever had!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 11:19 PM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Thable 615 shows that the nearby station is called Terontola-Cortona. This is 122 kilometers or 90 minutes by train from Florence main station, SMN ststion. Trains leave Terontola-Cortona at 0720, 0825, 0931, 1125, 1231, and hourly.

[email protected]

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 04:10 AM
ira

Hi P,

If you enter "terontola" at www.mappy.com you will see how to get to the train station.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Hi, are you within Frances reach? so are we, but now it is ok we went walking in the beach only ten minutes ago (Sunday morning), this is the North part of Miami Beach...ok.
Susanna knows more than I about the train and I also love her favorite restaurant, this is a trattoria, simple but food is better than in many other places. But there are a few good other rest in my opinion.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:41 AM

As an alternative, drive to Arezzo and take the train from there to Florence. Have done this two times, and it works well. Enjoy Cortona. There's a beautiful Fra Angelico Annunciation in the Diocesan Museum, (closed Mon) Great town.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM

I cannot help myself from some memories, going to Arrezo and planing to take the train to Firenze... year 2001, we had a huge accident in a National Route in the hills ( we were coming from Gubbio) broke my knee cap but we were so lucky considering the magnitud of the accident and the Italians were the kindest people you could imagine.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Does anyone know how the drive from Mezzavia di Cortona to the nearest train station is? The reason I am asking is that what will probably happen is that my mother and I will be taking the train and my 79 yr father would drive us to the train station so that he could have transportation around the villa.

Is this particular area treacherous (sp?) for driving?