Info on Davitts in Kenmare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of you stayed there? I'm interested in the rooms, if they a have comfortable bed, fairly quiet, fairly smoke free. We will be coming from Dingle after 7 nights at Greenmount House, Heaton's was more expensive. I know The Lodge would be nice, but I think it would be fun to stay right in town. Thanks to you for any help you can give me. Joan
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:26 PM

I can't tell you about Davitts, but I think you will make a good choice staying in town.
We spent three nights in this lovely city and enjoyed being able to walk around. We even used the laundromat.
Lots of good restaurants, too.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sher, Where did you stay? It will be my first time to Kenmare and I can't wait. Thanks again. Joan
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:04 PM

check out Virginia's guesthouse people great - wonderful breakfast (must try cashel blue cheese and pears) lady of the house special - room large for a b&b - right on main street
bob
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:22 PM

We actually rented an apartment over the used book store. It was very near the craft center (lace).
We usually try to do self-catering if we can.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Consider Hawthorn House. It's in town, across the street from the post office/internet cafe; at the head of a business street, but in a quiet section. And Mary O'Brien, the owner, is a delightful hostess.

We, too, moved from Greenmount to Kenmare, and there was a significant drop in luxury. However, Greenmount is quite exceptional and was the best by far we encountered. Hawthorn is much more than adequate and quite nice.

Regardless, Kenmare is fantastic, no matter where you stay. You will thoroughly enjoy the town.

Happy travels!
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 09:54 PM

I would recommend The Lodge. It is just around the corner from Kenmare - a three minute walk to town. Beautiful rooms, very clean, comfortable, excellent breakfast and service. No smoking throughout. The downside to staying in town could be noise especially on a weekend. Also find out how many private parking spaces Davitt's has. If it has a small lot then you might find yourself parked on the street if it is full.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Joan,

we loved Kenmare when we stayed for 3 nights this past October. We also loved Shelburne Lodge. (We stayed at Greenmount House in Dingle, and while that was nice, we liked Shelburne Lodge much better--awesome breakfasts and a very homey atmosphere). It is about a 5-10 minute walk to town (depending on how fast you walk and/or how much Guinness you've had).
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Lizard: Thank you for this reply and others I’ve read on this forum. I’ve looked at Virginia’s and wonder as I wonder about Davitts, noise, comfort of beds and smoke. Karen Brown has recommended Davitts but I won’t consider it unless I hear first hand. I will consider Virginia’s because of your recommendation. Thank you!

Sher: Thanks for your second reply. Did your apartment have one or two bedrooms? If you could tell me the name I could look it up.

JimF: Are you the Jim Felder of the beautiful photos I have book marked with my favorites? If so you helped me decide to go to Dingle this year. I went to Connemara last year and I was so pulled to go back. I’ve only been on Dingle once in 1996 and my sister driving on those narrow roads had me wanting to walk back to Killarney. I’ve looked at Hawthorn house and it does look nice enough and the location is great. We’ll be renting for 5 to 6 nights, traveling around during the day and would like a cozy place to come back to in the evening. It would be nice to be able to pop in and out. The rooms just seem a little small for my two big old boys.

IrishEyes: The Lodge had been my pick for months until I thought of staying right in town. I love staying in Ennis at Templegate and be able to come back when I need a rest or(really a restroom). If the Lodge is a 3 minute( younger person) or 5 minute walk that wouldn’t be so bad. IrishEyes, I have enjoyed your writings also. Thanks for them all!

Beach_dweller: Did I read a great trip report by you? You compared Shelburne Lodge and Greenmount house? I really enjoyed reading the report. I believe The Shelburne is a little more expensive. Since I have to have 2 rooms, and need to watch our dropping dollar. I’ll try The Lodge if I decide to stay out of town. It surprised me when I got the prices from Heaton’s and Greenmount in Dingle, Greenmount cost less.

Many thanks to you all. Joan
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Hi Joan. The Bookshop apartment had one bedroom with a bath and a kitchen/living room combo.
I would consider it a two star. It was clean, functional, well located and had parking.
The people were very nice to deal with. It was on the second floor of the shop which didn't open until 10:00 and closed early. It is on a street that dead ends, so no through traffic noise.
I will tell you that lately my husband and I have been renting mostly budget accomodations for a great part of our trips and maybe one splurge during the vacation.
We aren't breakfast people and an Irish breakfast does not interest us. In the eight days in Ireland, we had only two.
The splurge for this trip was in Doolin where we stayed in Cullihan's (sp) and did have the breakfast as it has a super restaurant. The room was top notch.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Hi chatham:

I looks like Davitt's has either been upgraded or I just never noticed. It is over a bar and restaurant and I'm not sure how late the bar is open. That may have some noise level issues. I don't remember it as being a E38-55 pp level establishment.

Bill
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Joan. It is me again. The website for the apartment is:
www.sneem.com/bookshopapartment/page2.html
It is very basic as you will see by the pictures.
Depending on the time of year, they will rent for less then seven nights. They are prompt with email replies.
Have a great time in Ireland.
Sherry
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Sher, I looked it up and I think it would be too small for the 3 of us. I do love used book stores tho. Thank you, Joan

Bill, you are another one of my favorite Ireland posters. You've given me pause for thought about Davitts.

We'll be in Ireland from April 6th to April 24th. We'll be at Sheedy's in Lisdoon. for the 1st. 3 nights, Greenmount for 7 nights, someplace in Kenmare for 5 or 6 nights. I like to have a home base. My sons will like the walking, biking, and Pubs of Dingle. From Kenmare I plan for us to go back up to Killarney Nat'l park, some of the ROK and the Beara pen. If the guys are crazy about the Burren, we can go back for a night or two(I love it). I plan on booking at Bunratty Lodge for the last night. TempleGate is just too expensive this trip. Keep the info coming. You guys helped me plan this trip. You also did last year for Connemara. I just wish you could all come with me. Joan
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:41 AM

I stayed at Davitt's in August of last year (2003) for 3 nights & really loved it. Great location, comfortable room, & even had parking. Nice people. I had good fish & chips in the restaurant downstairs. I found it to be very quiet & peaceful but maybe that depends on the room. I thought it was very good value for money.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Joan. I wish I could come with you too. The apartment is too small for three of you.
We are off to Portugal in May and I would like to try to make it to Europe one more time after that this year. My husband was saying NO until I said how about back to Ireland in the Fall. Then he started to reconsider.
Have a wonderful time.
Sherry
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Whoa, Joan, you honor me with your reaction to the photos. I am glad you enjoyed them. I can't wait to go back either, but it will not be in 2005, unfortunately.

When you are in Kenmare, try the route south for a day trip, to Glengarriff and Garinish Island. There is a lot to do and see south of the ROK, as well.

Should you decide to stay at Hawthorn, I know the second floor room in the back has two double beds with plenty of circulation space, and could accommodate four in a family.

Regardless, you have plenty of advice on where to stay. We found the serious travelers here on Fodor's gave their very best opinions. It was varied, but always excellent, and we could have picked any of a dozen or so suggestions.

It's hard to go wrong in Ireland, actually, but it can be done...

Good luck,

Jim
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Joan, The Lansdowne Arms Hotel right in town was very nice. It has recently been totally renovated. Most of the rooms are no smoking and there are two bars and a restaurant downstairs. My room was very quiet, clean and comfortable. It is the smoking rooms that are adjacent to the public areas. There is a small parking area but if the hotel is full then it might fill up. You might get a "rate" for multiple night stays.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Shea: Happy Travels where ever you go.

Lisa: Ok, Thanks. Glad to hear from somebody who has stayed there.

Jim: Yes, it is hard to go wrong in Ireland put it did happen to me a couple of times. Not since I've used this forum. If I call Hawthorn, I'll ask about the room in back for the guys. Also I plan to take the routes you spoke of.

IrishEyes: The Lansdowne Arms has always had such bad reviews. I'll of course look into it. Again that shrinking dollar comes into the picture. I hope I have time before I have to worry about bookings. I did do Greenmount so early because I'm sure they book up fast. Again thanks all. Joan
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:11 PM

The Lansdowne Arms was bought recently by the Quill family. They own Quill's Woollen Mills. Rosemarie Quill owns The Lodge in Kenmare. A very busy family! The hotel was completely renovated to high standards. It re-opened last year. Perhaps the reviews you read was when it was under old ownership. I stayed there in October and it was very nice. It was also full so word about the new ownership is getting around.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM

follow up to your concers ref smoke and noise ----- smoke is no problem as theythe streets were have non smoke rooms - it is right on the main strett but noise was not a problem - we were there 28 29 and 30 Sept of this year -
the streets were almost empty by 11pm
oh yea talking about virginia's guesthouse - like everyone says - wherever you stay you'll have a great time
bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -