Reload this Page >

Info. on Anne Frank's house

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:02 AM
don't know

Going to Amsterdam with 2 teenagers and would like to know the location of the museum, fee and overall if its recomendable. My teenagers and I would really appreaciate your help. Thanks

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:12 AM
mimi

We visited the Anne Frank home and found it a very moving experience. As a teacher, I would say your children must read the book before they go. The museum is very tiny, and you must read the placards on the walls. It will not take you very long but it will make you understand one person's life in hiding. The museum is very easy to find, on a major canal, not far from the Dam section and the railroad station. Any map the hotel gives you will highlight it.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:15 AM
Tammy

I recommend getting a good map of Amsterdam before leaving, Streetwise has come in handy for me for other cities and I'm pretty sure they have one for Amsterdam. A good map will tell you exactly where the Anne Frank house is located (it is centrally located and within walking distance of lots of the main sites. It has been 4 years since I visited Amsterdam, so I don't know the cost, but many tour guides will give you the estimated price (Fodors, Frommers, Rick Steves, etc.) Regarding is it recommendable, YES! In my opinion, it is one of the must sees in Amsterdam.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:31 AM
ilisa

The house is located on Prinsengracht. I don't remember the fee, but whatever it was, it was worth it. I highly recommend the house. No movie or book will convey how small the living space was or the conditions under which the families lived. What moved me even more than the sight of the bookcase, were the pictures on the walls. Anne was a typical teenager with interests in movie stars. As a result, she hung their pictures on the walls. Those pictures still hang (preserved by plexiglass). Seeing them gave me chills.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:32 AM
Deborah

It is a MUST SEE! I agree with the previous posters; teenagers will find it fascinating, especially if they know the story. There is a film version available, if they haven't read the book. <BR> <BR>The price last summer was 10 guilders (less than $5) per person. It is an easy walk from the Dam area. It took us less than 10 minutes. <BR> <BR>Deborah

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:40 AM
AC

Hi: <BR>Please do not miss Anne Frank's house. I was moved to tears! <BR>If you don't have the time to read the book then please see the movie The Diary of Anne Frank starring Shelly Winters. <BR>www.annefrank.nl has all the pertinent information hours, fee, etc. <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:15 AM
Tracy

Hi DK, <BR> <BR>I went last month. A superb museum with new multimedia rooms near the end of the tour (once you're actually out of the house). Your teens will love the CD-ROM with 3D modeling. <BR> <BR>Some nights it's open late - we went on a weekday during the last hour of opening. I really recommend this because you can easily imagine how it must've been for them in the Annex, after dark, behind the blackout screens on all the windows . . . <BR> <BR>BTW there's a new authoritative diary translation out with all the sources included (including her schoolgirl complaints about classmates etc.), definitely pick this up - the edition came out in '91. <BR>HTH and enjoy A'dam . . .

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:22 AM
Amy

Definitely go! Even if they have read the book, be sure to take it along with you. There's always some downtime in a trip, and having a book that talks about the places that you're experiencing is a special bonus. I went very early in the morning and was able to get right in, but the lines are long during the day. The most moving sight I thought were the pencilled "grow lines" from the time that they were there...truly touching.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Kathy

If you don't opt to go at night, try to get there when it opens... even during off-season the line can become long and the interior crowded.