Reload this Page >

Info About Villeneuve les Avignon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 03:08 AM
S.Lader

We are planning a trip to Provence for next spring and would like to make the Avignon area our base for about 10 days. The hotel La Magnaneraie, in Villeneuve, sounds just about perfect for us but I can't find much information about the town. We prefer being within walking distance of the center as we enjoy strolling up and down charming streets and stopping at pavement cafes and little shops. Saint-Remy would be just perfect but I can't find a hotel in the center that fits our needs nearly as well as La Magnaneraie. Does Villeneuve have any of the ambience as does St-Remy?

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Peter Malet

I have visited Villeneuve les Avignon and St. Remy during a trip to Provence. Villeneuve is a tiny town across the river from Avignon; it has a superb castle (St Andre) and a stupendous view of Avignon. I think it's too far to walk to Avignon from Villeneuve. Otherwise, it's a typical small village; I can't specifically comment on walking around in the village since we didn't do this (we drove through by car) . St Remy is larger and a bit more compact for walking. <BR>We stayed in Avignon itself (in the Primotel horloge right on the main square) which is, of course, a much larger place the Villeneuve but plenty to see and plenty of streets to walk. It does not, however, have the same feel as a small village. The Hotel Europe is a fine hotel in Avignon, not inexpensive, but set on a relatively quiet square. Next time I go there, that's where I plan to stay.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:01 AM
sandy

A friend of mine just returned from Villeneuve les Avignon. Stayed at Le Prieure, a Relais & Chateaux property. She said it was the finest hotel she's ever been in and she wished they had stayed there the whole time in Provence.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear S.Lader: Have you considered consulting the Guide Michelin? They have guides to all sorts of little places and--though most are in French--you probably could get somone to translate for you. Bon voyage. Joan

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 10:52 AM
Ron

My wife and I just returned from two weeks in Provence including 6 nights in Avignon. We stayed at the Hotel Cloitre Saint Louis right inside the walled city of Avignon. This hotel exceeded all of my expectations and was reasonably priced. See their website at www.cloitre-saint-louis.com. <BR> <BR>We visited both St. Remy and Villeneuve and found St. Remy to be charming and quaint but in a somewhat Disney kind of way. (ie, you will never forget for a moment that you are in a primarily tourist destination. My humble opinion.) Villaneuve was also charming and quaint and you got that impression because people were actually just going about with their lives instead of just trying to cater to tourists. On the other hand, there is so much to see within the walls of Avignon, that you will probably want to spend at least a few days in the old city whether you stay there or not. We also found that the hotel we stayed in was perfect as a base for day trips because it had it's own offstreet parking and it was reasonbly easy to get in and out of the city from our location. Some of the hotels deeper into old Avignon present the challenge of negotiation the narrow crowded streets. <BR> <BR>A good source of information is www.beyond.fr There is a short description of Villaneuve which pretty much fits my recollection. Feel free to email me direct with any questions. <BR> <BR>Ron <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Ron

Correction. The Villeneuve described on the www.beyond.fr webpage is NOT villeneuve les Avignon which I am assuming you are asking about. Everything else in my reply, however, is accurate to the best of my knowledge. <BR> <BR>Sorry

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:34 PM
Marta

HI: <BR>We just came back from Provence and <BR>stayed in Villeneuve-avignon at the <BR>Magnaneraie...We like it a LOT, the <BR>Service, the Restaurant, Delicious <BR>Gourmet Rest. and we were in Avignon <BR>in 10 minutes by car, we spent 5 days <BR>in La Magnaneraie and made day trips <BR>to different towns, we even visited the <BR>Pharmacy,Market in Villeneuve, and also <BR>the Castle and the Monastery... <BR>Beautiful and less busy than Avignon, <BR>so we were glad we stayed at Villeneuve <BR>We had a double room at the main bldg. <BR>with a Big Terrace... <BR>Enjoy!!! <BR>Good Restaurants in Villeneuve.. <BR>Mon Mari Patisserie...Charming and a <BR>delightful Owner... <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Cigalechanta for topping this thread. Can't imagine why my search didn't turn it up.
I am beginning to think it will depend on how much time I want to spend in Avignon itself.
thanks again
J
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you go, I hope you have a Wonderful time. I also stayed at the Hotel L&Eacute;urope
that year because I needed to be close to the TGV station steps away. It's since moved to another location.
Great eating in Avignon!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 07:29 AM
TC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in Avignon in September. Stayed at Villa Agape. It is an AMAZING B&amp;B right in the center of the old city. Our hostess, Mdm. Michele Pommeraye, was simply charming in every way. Her breakfasts are a delight and her home is - I'm not kidding about this - like something from Architectural Digest. Take a look at the web site:
htt://avignon-et-provence.com/locations/villa-agape
Very reasonable in price as well.