info about EZE

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Harriette

info about EZE

Can anyone tell me how hilly it really is for walking? We have been told not to miss it but if you had a choice between Eze and Nice which would you choose and why? thanks

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Diane

Eze is a hill town and a lot of climbing up stairs will be necessary. It is charming and has a lot of people visiting for an hour or two. There is a hotel there but this village is not convenient to area sights. There is another Eze that I've seen people refer to on this board that is more of a place to stay. Can anyone else out there help Harriette?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Kathy Forsyth

Eze is truly a delightful little village, very compact and can be covered in a morning or afternoon easily. There are numerous tiny shops, a hotel at the top of the hill with magnificent views up and down the riviera. The pink bouganvillea and other flowers decorating the lovely old buildings , the uniqueness of Eze make it a must see. At the base there are numerous restaurants and don't miss the Fragonard perfume factory.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:38 AM
amy

We "did" Eze as a daytrip out of Nice. Got train from Nice to Eze sur Mer and crossed road to take trail to Eze.

It is a 3 km hike with a 1200 foot elevation gain. It took us an hour to hike up and 1/2 to hike down, but we walk/run on hilly terrain here at home, so that may not be your time. The posted sign at the bottom of the trail says 2 hours.

Compared to other French hilltop villages, it's OK. The continual view on the hike, however, was one of the best parts of our trip. You have to pay at the top to get the panorama view from the Jardins Exotique (which in themselves would be fascinating if you've ever spent time in Arizona; if you're from there, I would not consider them anything to write home about).

If I had a choice between Eze and Nice...it's so up to you. Eze isn't a cultural highlight by any means. However, for the stretch from Cannes to Menton, it has the most singularly beautiful view and that's worth something.

Nice has its Old Town, a neat view from the Chateau area, the Matisse, Chagall and Modern Art musuems in addition to many other museums. If you're going to spend more than one day in the area, I'd definately vote for Nice. In case of inclement weather, at least you can do something there. And you can still do Eze from there easily (less than 15 minute train ride).

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:23 PM
kathy

Sorry Harriette, I should have mentioned that Nice in comparison is a small city and Eze a tiny village so I would go for Nice every time to stay in, there's so much to see and experience. You can take the train up and down the coast and across to Italy, it's a wonderful trip and much better than a car or coach. And the trains were very reasonably priced.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Harriette

Sorry I forgot to mention that I only have 1 day and will be off a cruise ship docking in Monte Carlo.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:42 PM
John

There's also a bus from Nice, you don't have to hike from the beach!