Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Right Bank or Left Bank--which is your fave?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Simone

It seems like many of the posters here prefer the 5th and 6th arrondisements in Paris. How do you feel about staying on the Right Bank? Also, what (specifically) makes the Left Bank more appealing to those who choose to stay there repeatedly? I have stayed both places, and so far I tend to like the Right Bank a little better. Does anyone agree?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Patrick

First trip I stayed on the right bank, just off Champs Elysees. Every other trip I've stayed on the left bank and preferred it by far. In fact a couple of trips I never even went near the Champs Elysees -- nothing there for me. Of course, there are some nice "neighborhoods" in the right --the Marais for one, but I have just grown into staying in the 6th. It's starting to feel like home when I go.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:39 PM
My

Left Bank (Rive Gauche):
less big touristy hotels catering to business travelers.
less big businesses (American Express)
more affordable charming hotels
many good restaurants
many good art galleries,book shops,boutiques,fabric shops,cafes,churches,parks,what have I forgotten??
I tend to like the smaller hotels with more personal service, and walking the neighborhood feeling like I live there.
The Right Bank just doesn't have that feel to it!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:54 PM
gretchen

"MY", I think you just accurately described the Marais. Unless they moved it, that's on the right bank.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:08 PM
My

No, dear, I described the area by rue Jacob,off of the Blvd St Germain, on the Left Bank

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:24 PM
xxx

The Champs Elysee is just like walking thru a shopping mall...BORING!!! go LEFT!!

Only thing on right bank are Arc de Triomphe a and Marais...

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:39 PM
gretchen

No, "MY" you described the Marais perfectly, you just didn't know it.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:42 PM
my

ok ok I give up~~

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:11 AM
amy

Instead of saying Right Bank or Left Bank, I think arrondissement (and even what part of the arrondissement) is a more accurate preference.

After seven trips to Paris staying in various locations, even edges, of the 5th and 6th, with one stay near the Bastille area, we have no desire whatsoever to stay in the Champs Elysee area on the Right Bank. We would, however, enjoy staying in the Marais area on the Right Bank. That's not to indicate a new Right or Left preference, for we would also like to stay in the 7th(Left Bank) on an upcoming trip. The reasons are the same--strong neighborhood character; a mix of lower-class, middle-class, and upper class dwellings and hotels; similar range of restaurants and markets. Perhaps the overused operative term is "charm."

I like the many smaller Metro stations and lines that dot the Left Bank area. Etoiles, Chatelet, Champs Elysee Clemenceau are quite difficult for those of us maneuvering families throughout the city.

It's all perspective, too. When I walk the Champs Elysee area, I feel like I'm visiting a much-less-interesting version of New York's 5th Avenue. If I want that experience, I'd rather be in New York (it's something we Americans actually do well!). In fact, I always feel bad for friends who make their once-in-a-lifetime trip to Paris and end up staying near the Louvre or the Champs Elysee. They think they saw Paris, and they missed it.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Fave

My Fave is Bastide de la Fave.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:40 PM
My

Thank you,amy
Then I will say that my fave is the 6th*
great neighborhood for walking,browsing the bookstores,cafes,good restaurants,galleries,boutiques,churches,museums,w alk along the Seine,parks,small charming hotels,what more could one ask for ~

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:06 PM
ttt

ttt