Inexpensive London Hotel advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for inexpensive hotels in London: are there any 3-stars which costs less than ~80 pounds for a double?

Location is not that important: Around Kensington or Knightbridge is best, but as long as it is <5 mins walk from a tube station it's alright.

Criteria? clean, not too noisy, close to amenities (shops, cafes etc.), nice exterior, that sort of things.

Also: when is the "shoulder season" to visit London: not rainy and cold, hotels still have cheap price, and not terribly crowded ...
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I don;t think thre is a shoulder season in London - you your two choices winter or expensive.

Kensington and Knightsbridge are among the most - not least expensive areas. I think you will definitely need to pay more than 80 pounds for a 3* double - if you want something pleasant - unless you go for Priceline. You're asking for a lot for quite a minimal price.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:18 AM

We are going to London in April 2005 and have a reservation at the Citadines Aparthotel - Trafalgar Square for 64 pounds per night for a studio with twin beds. The apart/hotel (features of an apartment and a hotel - 24 hour front desk but not daily maid service or restaurant; kitchenette, living room with convertible bed, and full bath).

You might want to check their website www.citadines.com and check your dates; they also have locations at Kensington, Holborn, and Barbacan.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I stayed at the Senator Hotel, near Paddington Station, back in 2003. The rate was close to $80 for a small room with a crappy bed. Great location, reasonable price, but the hotel was partly under construction. Not sure if I'd stay there again, but if price is your bottom line, you might look into it.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello Dorothy:

I checked into the Citadines website - and could not find a link where they post the tariff/rate. Do you have to email them to ask for the rate? Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:37 AM

After selecting your hotel, click on the reservations page. Enter your dates and click send. The different rates and types of rooms should appear. The internet rate is the cheapest.

You have to repeat this process for each individual hotel if you want to compare rates.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:54 AM

There have been tons of threads about inexpensive London hotels. Here's one with a lot of suggestions: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34537042

I was there last March. My trip report might be useful to you. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34593397

It's definitly possible to enjoy London and not spend a fortune. I've been two of the last four March's and the weather was quite nice both years.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:22 PM

John, I am finding the Rhodes Hotel and the Britannia Court Hotel have great rates, and great reviews on Tripadvisor.com. So does Luna and Simone, but I don't know about the location. Also, have you tried the Holiday Inn website? I think the location of the Holiday Inn Kensington (not Forum) would be ideal.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:23 PM

Also want to add that I don't think Luna and Simone is a three star. I think it is bare bones, bed and breakfast.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:42 PM

Do Priceline for sure. The hot deal right now people are getting is the Thistle Marble Arch for $75/night (Priceline always gets you a room for at least two people). This is a 4-star hotel by European standards (probably American 3-star), but I stayed there last month for two nights (two twin beds), and it is a very nice hotel. For $75 it is an absolute steal and the location is great, close to central London, right on Oxford Street, a block from the Marble Arch tube station and many buses on Oxford Street.

Go to BiddingForTravel.com and go to the London hotels section for details. Please note that Priceline hotels are non-refundable/non-changeable so please don't bid until your plans are pretty firm.

Andrew
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Saving for future reference. Thank you.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Best deals I've found are north of Hyde Park, only a few minutes walk from Paddington Station. The choices include the Cardiff, Westpoint and another next door to Westpoint whose name escapes me but who shares a common reception and booking service with Westpoint. Try www.westpoint.co.uk - it might work, otherwise google westpoint or cardiff hotels in London.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM

The one whose name escaped me was Abbey Court. Similar and next door to West Point, in Sussex Gardens, Cardiff is in Norfolk Square, even nearer Paddington tube station.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Cordova House Hotel - a couple of blocks away from Paddington station
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM

The St. Margaret Hotel is a charming hotel and very convenient location. It is a budget hotel The staff is friendly, accomadations adequate...plain but the staff and full English breakfast every morning. I can't say enough about our overall stay. Will defintely stay there on our next visit. Do a search here on Fodor's and you should get a lot of comments...mostly favourable but some are somewhat negative.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM

We stayed at the Jenkins (http://www.jenkinshotel.demon.co.uk/) a couple of years ago. It is on Cartwright Crescent about 2 minutes from Russell Square tube stop. The room was tiny. We had a triple and it was wall to wall beds with a tiny bathroom, but the people were so nice, and they had a good cooked breakfast. We loved the location near the British Museum.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Try a Priceline bid for Millenium Gloucester nr Gloucester Rd Tube Station. A GREAT location and perfectly fine hotel. We paid $80 (about 50 pounds?) for a lovely double room. Can't beat it for that price!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:47 PM

We recently stayed at The Cherry Court Hotel in London's Victoria Station area, a 2-minute walk to the station/tube stop, and a 10-minute walk from Westminster and Buckingham Palace. We paid $55 BP per night, and stayed there two. We were there two years ago and found the rooms to be small, but the beds comfortable and the private bath to be quite clean, even if they were also a bit small.

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in London for around $100/night.

Jules
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM
emc

Have you looked at one of the Travel Inns? We stayed at the London County Hall one a couple of years ago and it was a great value. At the time it was well under 80 pounds a night. Nothing fancy, so if you need luxury, this is not the place. Clean rooms, comfortable bed, huge bathrooms. There are a few scattered throughout London. See www.premiertravelinn.com.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:33 PM

Here's another vote for Priceline. We got the Millenium Bailey's for about $89. Good location, right across from the tube station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -