Reload this Page >

Indian restaurant advice

Search

Indian restaurant advice

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Donna

Indian restaurant advice

Hi, <BR>We are interested in finding a very good quality Indian restaurant while in London. It would be great if it were on the side of the city closer to our flat, between Chelsea and Fulham, but we can probably find anything centrally located. If possible, I'd like a restaurant that not only had Indian food, but some "American type food" for the less adventurous of our group of 7 family members (I am not sure about Grandpa or our 10 year old on this one!) <BR> <BR> A friend recommended a restaurant called "Bombay", I think it was in Harrington Garden (?) or near Hyde Park. Does anyone know of it, and its address, phone, or even e-mail?! <BR>Thanks, <BR>Donna

Old May 28th, 2000, 03:47 PM
donna

This is a p.s. to my own message! I should have asked about British food, as it certainly doesn't have to be "American" -- Thanks!

Old May 28th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Julian

There are literally hundreds of Indian restaurants in central London. I suggest you register at http://www.hardens.com and search their online database; I've always found their London Restaurants guide book to be pretty reliable. There's a Bombay Brasserie near Hyde Park, which may be the one you are thinking of.

Old May 28th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Karen

I think Grandpa and the rest of the group would like The Ivy, I believe located in the theater area.

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:01 PM
S. C. DIXON

I've heard it said that the best Indian food in the world can be had in London. <BR>For something quick and cheap go to Earl's Court, leave tube station by turning left, walk a block or two and you'll see STAR KABOBS, go in and ask for a donner kabob...addictive. <BR> <BR>For a little more style go to Russell Sq. station. When you come out the exit turn left and walk a block or so to the "main drag", Southampton Row. Turn left and walk maybe four blocks, you'll see a small sign hanging over the street which simply reads "FAMOUS INDIAN CUISINE". The real name is the Chambali. Order a drink with dinner because if you want a glass of ice water its going to cost you 2 pounds anyway. The food is good although the help seems a bit haughty at times.

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:24 PM
Julian

The Ivy is a splendid place but it doesn't serve Indian food. And you don't have to go all the way to Earl's Court to find a kebab - they're all over the place.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 02:19 AM
frank

Most Indian restaurants have a few western dishes on the menu - for some reason chicken maryland seems to be the favorite.Take care, some curries are very hot indeed, Mexican chilli is weak by comparison.Avoid anything that says Vindaloo (cooked in mustard oil,extra chilli) or extra strength.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 06:08 AM
Jane schofield

You might like Chutney Mary's on the Kings road, Chelsea. Is Anglo Indian and has great food with many clearly marked milder dishes......but this is not a particualrly cheap choice nor a typical british indian restaurant. Bombay brasserie also upmarket and relatively expensive.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Sheila

based solely on the Good Food Guide's pages on Chelsea I suugest the Bombay Brasserie, Sallo's, or Zaika. This last is on Fulham Road

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 01:30 PM
John

Hi, Donna, <BR>Our experience at Chutney Mary's was (to paraphrase a Texasism) more hat than Murgh. It's a beautiful room full of beautiful people. The food was okay, not spectacular, but the bill sure was. <BR> <BR>If you have an occasion to travel north, like really north, try the Shish Mahal near Glasgow University.