Indian food in Italy

Search

Indian food in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indian food in Italy

I know and love Italian cuisine - being vegetarian I relish a variety of pasta and Pizza. However from time to time I'll get the craving for Indian food. Anyone know of Indian restaurents in Rome, Florence & Venice?

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 10:00 PM

There is an Indian restaurant near the SMN train station in Florence. I have not been to it in a couple of years but it might still be there. I love Indian food too. When I lived in Florence I knew every "ethnic" restaurant in town. Did notice quite a few Chinese restaurants last week. Good luck.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 02:28 AM

Having lived in India for 5 years and now in Italy for 14, I miss Indian food, but years ago gave up and started making it myself - I could never find an adequate Indian restaurant in Milan. To my vast surprise, the new one that opened in Lecco last year has proved to be very good. 'Fraid I can't help with other cities.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:27 AM
LJ

Oh, I know how you feel! After 10 months in Italy, we found ourselves just craving something cumin-ey. We loved Ganesh Ji in Venice. It is within easy walking distance of the train station and has a charming outdoor terrace on a pretty canal. You may need to book in advnce if you don't get there right at 7:30.Not pricey (by Venetian standards, which are horrendous),two can eat well, with Kingfisher beer, for under 60 Euro.You may also want to try Gam Gam, a kosher restaurant that does great vegetarian food ( right around the corner from the Ghetto historical area).
Have a great time and buon appetito!
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:31 AM

I adore Patrizia Fattore and always look forward to dining in her (Venice's premier Indian restaurant), Ganesh Ji, on Rio Marin in San Polo. Singh Prhpal, her divine chef imported from Punjab, does a masterful job and offers several vegetarian selections. Be sure to get one of the few tables on the canal terrace where you can dine while watching the gondolieri float by.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:35 AM
ira

Hi KS

We enjoyed

Salaam Bombay, Via F. Rosselli 45r
Where the locals go if they want something exotic. A good, inexpensive Indian restaurant. Excellent nan.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:46 AM
ira

OOPS,

That's in Florence. Not far from the train station.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM

In Rome, there is Jaipur on Via San Francesco Ripa in Trastevere. For a quick meal, try Indian Fast Food on Via Mamiani just of Piazza Vittoria (an Indian neighborhood).
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:22 AM

Ira - leave it to you to know if the Indian restaurant is still there. Glad to hear it is still good. There used to be a good cheese burger place near there called Oktoberfest.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM

A great Indian restaurant in Rome is Sitar. It's located on Via Cavour, near the Cavour metro stop. It's right by the grocery store ELITE.

We ate there during our stay in Rome & loved it. Contact details below:

Via Cavour 256A
www.sitar-roma.com

There are several other Indian restaurants on Via dei Serpenti, between Via Cavour and Via Nazionale. We were surprised by all of the ethnic restaurants we found in Italy. We love Italian food but sometimes you need a break.