Independant tour of Croatia questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it easy to travel to Croatia, rent a car and tour from Zagreb to Dubrovnik by yourself? Tours seem to be very expensive and we think we can do it cheaper by ourselves.
recommendations of auto rental company to check? Are b&b's easy to find. What should we plan for spending a night for two in an average hotel or b&b?
We want to travel into Slovenia with our rental car. We enjoy hiking and want to head into the alps and see national parks.
thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM

We found traveling through Croatia and Slovenia to be incredibly easy and rewarding. Hubby was quite nervous, but swears it was easier than traveling by car through Italy!

We used http://www.economycarrentals.com/ to book our car, based on a recommendation I found on here. They were much cheaper than others (and I checked plenty) and everything went perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

If you are interested, you can find my trip report by clicking on my name. Its called "tcreaths trip to Croatia and Slovenia" or something like that. We went in November and had a wonderful time. I also have pictures at www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates if you are interested in seeing them; they are broken up by country.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:20 AM

You will also find many beautiful places where to hike in Croatia !!!
check http://jczadar.googlepages.com
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Very, very easy. Drive yourself. We live in rural Saskatchewan where there are about 39 cars on the great expanses of highways and found Croatia one of the easiest countries to navigate thus far.

The most we paid for a B&B was $75 CDN in Dubrovnik. Cheapest $30 CDN. I am very picky about places to stay so spent over 200 hours doing internet research to find the perfect spots.

Plitvice Lakes would likely interest you - lovely boarded walks amidst waterfalls and turquoise lakes.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM

What I meant was that our roads are virtually devoid of traffic so if we can do it, anyone can! We have driven in Rome, Catania, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, etc. Croatia=easy peasy.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM

We did it all without the use of a car. Just used public transport, and had a ball. Places like Dubrovnik are best seen by walking, and parking is a big hassle.

We were there in September, and there was no problem at all finding accommodations. The local tourist office would locate Sobes (rooms in people's houses), or there would always be a gaggle of older ladies when you stepped off the bus holding signs advertising their rooms for rent. These usually do not include breakfast, but are invariably spotlessly clean and not expensive.

You will love Croatia!

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM

We took a great fall trip in 2005 to Slovenia and Croatia. I book our airtickets into Ljublana and out of Zagreb. I then found out how expensive it would be to rent a car in one country and return in another. So, we took the train to Zagreb after two nights in Ljub. and pick up a car at Hertz. Hertz was very close to the train station. Off we went to Plitvice Lakes, Zadar, Split, Hvar and Dubrovnik. We turned our car in at Split. took ferry to Hvar, then bus from Split to Dubrovnik. We flew back to Zagreb for 2 nights before returning home. It was a fantastic trip with lots of outdoor experiences and hiking. I highly recommend doing on your own. We stayed in B&B's in the smaller towns. Our trip was about 17 days. You cover a good distance from Zagreb to Dubrovnik and you don't want to rush it.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Driving in Croatia is no problem. There is only one major express way(pay toll here and there - not much)You will most likely be driving along the coast (just small highways) and stopping along the way. There are many interesting towns to visit and inexpensive places to stay, expect to pay more in July and August and sometime harder to find lodging late in the day. Staying out side major towns would be less expensive. When we went in May of last year we pay anywhere from 350.00(Delux) to 90.00(good value)/per day.If you want to drive outside of Croatia be sure to let rental company know - we rented from Kemwel and got refund when we return the car earlier. Take a trip to Mostar(just outside of Croatia, I think it is in Bosnia) - not too far from Dubrovnik 1 1/2 hr. drive. The bridge that we saw destoyed on CNN 13(?) years ago has been rebuilt. The town is very charming. There are a few National Parks along the way heading south from Zagreb. Get a good map and guide book. Enjoy your trip!