Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Incredibly cheap accomodation in Santorini !

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Jaden

Have found the following hotels on the net. Has anyone stayed there before? Please comment.<BR>Laokasti Villas in Oia<BR>Agnadi Villa in Oia<BR>Nikos apartment - 5 mins walk from Fira. This one is incredibly cheap, it costs only 20 Euro per night per apartment and it claimed that it's newly built. Really want to know your comment about this one. <BR>Thank you

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
topping ... I'm curious as well!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I don't know the Agnadi Villas, but I'm very familiar with Laokasti. It's a wonderful complex, quiet, very tastefully decorated and lovingly maintained by the Kokkalis family, Spiros, Maria, Victoria and Marinos. Their restaurant is also exceptional. There's a beautiful sea view, but it's not of the caldera if that's what you're looking for. I checked out the website for the Agnadi Villas, and they appear to have the same view but are slightly further out of the heart of Oia along the road leading to Fira. Just so you know, none of the swimming pools are heated at these places, so unless you plan to be there in the hottest months, be prepared for a bit of a chilly surprise.

I also looked up Nikos Apartments, and couldn't find any 20 Euro pricing. The cheapest room was 30 Euro, which is also a good price, but it doubles during July and August.

The cheapest basic rooms I know of are at the Casa Francesca in Oia, very close by Laokasti. Check out the Ecorama Holidays website for details. You can get a discount for staying a week or longer by asking for it. Ecorama also offers the Musses Studios, not listed on their website, which are next to the Casa Francesca. I stayed there last May-June for 25 Euros/night, a special long-term price. These self-catering units (upstairs recommended over downstairs) have sleeping lofts and small balconies with wonderful sea views. #4 has the best view.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Brotherleelove, you are a great source of information. I have kind of a stupid question maybe you can clear up for me. Some places have a caldera view, and some a sea view ... waht's the difference? I know, I know, probably stupid!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
rex

The caldera has inherently a &quot;C&quot; or &quot;crescent&quot; shape - - I assume that caldera view means that you look over into the &quot;C&quot; (where you <i>see</i> the <i>sea</i> inside it, of course)... presumably, &quot;sea view&quot; means looking out the other side of the building - - seeing only the &quot;outside&quot; of the &quot;crescent&quot; (and the sea beyond). If I am not mistaken, the open rim of the caldera is to the west, so caldera view sllows you to see the sun set into the sea. Sea view gets the sunrise.

Hope I haven't screwed up what I understand about Santorini - - as I have never been there.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM

That was what I thought ... just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely wrong!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Can`t help with rooms in Oia but nearly booked Niko`s rooms myself in September but was put off by what appeared to be a motorcyle hire place underneath the rooms, could be a bit noisey. We actually passed tne rooms on a bus, they were new but not in a very nice position on the main road a good way out of the town you wouldn`t sit on your balcony main road or wasteland to look at.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Santorini is indeed crescent-shaped. At the top of the crescent is Oia. Because the top of the crescent is curved and narrow by definition, there are views into the caldera and views of the other side of the narrow end out into the open sea. Oia is situated to look out from the southeast to the southwest(on a clear day you can see Crete directly south) into the Caldera, but because of the narrow curve of the island you can also look west at the sunset if you're at the very end of the village which has been built out in a westerly direction. Fira looks more southwest to west. At the far southern end of the island, Akrotiri looks northwest to northeast. If you look at a map of Santorini you can see all this clearly (amazing how a word like 'google' can become a verb after repeated usage!).

http://www.santorini.com/maps/touristmap.htm

Laokasti looks north into the open sea and the islands in the distance.

http://www.santorini.com/maps/cycladesmap.htm

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:52 PM

That is roughly standard price, I paid 25&euro; in June, the cheap side of Thera of course.