Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In your opinion, what is the most underrated/overrated restaurant in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Gail

I hope this question doesn't sound too shallow--in light of what's happened--but I find if I keep my mind focused on our upcoming trip, I feel less sad. <BR> What are your picks for the most overrated and underrated restaurants in "The City of Lights?" What is your answer based on (please be descriptive)?

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 12:36 PM
godsend

Gail, <BR> <BR>I don't think this question is shallow at all. We all deal with these things in our own way and I, too, have been trying to keep myself occupied. <BR> <BR>In answer to your question, as far as underrrated restaurants go, I vote for Brasserie Balzar. Wonderful food, good solid service and not over-run by tourists (yet). <BR> <BR>As for overrated, I would have to say La Coupole. To me, their prices are based on their reputation--not on the quality of food + service. <BR> <BR>Anyone elses comments are welcome.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 01:04 PM
lilipad

add Procope (not sure of spelling) to the overrated list: justbecause napoleon and ben franklin ate there, doesn't mean they liked it

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Lori

Ditto Le Procope being overrated. One of the worst meals I've ever had in France and not cheap either!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Beth

Is Maxim's still open? Went several years ago for a big night out: cost a fortune, surly waiters, mediocre food, and heavy cigar smoking at the very next table that was practically on our laps. Yuk.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:11 PM
nyet

Yes, Maxim's is still open. I was in Paris in August and I remember passing by a couple of times. I can't afford to eat there!!

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Gretchen

Don't know if I agree about LaCoupole. Had an outstanding cassoulet there in March.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Christina

I think La Coupole is extremely overrated also, the food is only adequate (what I had, anyway), somewhat overpriced (the price wasn't too bad, just a little high), but the ambience is not very nice IMO. It is too touristy and too many people go there dressed sloppily and terribly. It's just not a nice atmosphere. Having said that, some of the waiters are very competent and efficient, I just don't like the place much.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 08:32 PM
Scott

I admit that I'm relatively unsophisticated, but I like la Coupole very much and recommend it as a must-do for visitors to the city. I've been in dozens of Paris restaurants and la Coupole is definitely one of the most memorable. I recommend Chartier, too, as a must-do. Although totally different, both are "people" places and rate highly with me for an overall worthwhile dinner experience in Paris. <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR> <BR>Scott <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 07:15 AM
David Abdullah

For overrated I vote for Le GRAND Vefour.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 08:26 AM
JIM PETERSON

The most underrated, or rather not rated at all, is Brasserie Flottes on rue Cambon, just a half block from the Concorde metro station. The best ever sandwiches, made with Poilane bread, are their Croque Royale and Croque Provencal specialties. Every day they serve a wonderful confit of duck with Aligote, the special potato dish made with cheese and garlic. At most other spots, if you can find Aligote, it is only offered on one day per week. And the prices are right!