Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In what county is Southampton UK located ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:20 AM
croozinsuz

Am trying to find lodging in Southampton UK.<BR>Am sailing on the Royal Princess on Sept. 3. Would very much like to be close to the Docks for our over night stay.<BR>Thanks.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Sheila

Hampshire

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:28 AM
janis

Southampton is in Hampshire. Your best bet might be a city centre hotel since there would be easy transport to the docks area.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Angela

I am moving to Southampton soon for further study, so have quite a bit of info on the city and surroundings. There is a nice 4* hotel right next to the waterfront called The "De Vere Grand Harbour".

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Angela

p.s I found the hotels website for prices and info.<BR><BR>www.deveregrandharbour.co.uk/<BR><BR>While Southampton has a modern and not always attractive city centre (due to WW11 bombing campaigns), it is a friendly city with many redeeming qualities, i.e nice parks, a couple of very good museums and galleries of national importance, the West Quay shopping centre with a great M&S and John Lewis, some nice suburbs (and some not so nice!). Hampshire itself is a lovely county, Winchester is especially pretty. There is some lovely countryside surrounding Southampton, with lots to see and do, including the New Forest.<BR><BR>Angela

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Jan

The Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Ave. is also close to the docks heres the urlBR>http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/h...anchisee=SOAHP

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:00 AM
xxx

anymore??

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 12:33 AM
croozinsuz

Thank you all so much for your information!!<BR>We have booked the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker. <BR>Hope it's within walking distance to the cruise ship docks. Really want to watch our ship sail into port!